UAE Not On Safe List For Filipino Workers

Topic locked
UAE not on safe list for Filipino workers Jun 12, 2011
To be honest, this really doesn't surprise me in the slightest:

http://www.7days.ae/article/news/nation ... main-issue

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: UAE Not On Safe List For Filipino Workers Jun 12, 2011
More than 450,000 Filipinos currently work in the UAE and at least three cases of abuse are reported to the Philippines Overseas Labour Office in Dubai every day.

I wonder what "abuse" is being reported and if non-payment of salary is one of them - legitimate claim. Although I have to say, I'm sure alot of the housemaids have legitimate claims, but some can be vicious and they are capable of lying.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: UAE not on safe list for Filipino workers Jun 12, 2011
Looool I knew its chocoholic who's going to post this article the minute I saw it in 7days looool

So let me try to understand this, a country that failed to manage a suitable economy to its ppl ,create enough jobs for them, failed to educate most of them, failed to create a safe country from crimes or a decent health care is judging us to create a safe zone for it ppl ? I know we have to do so but for them to make a list that they can't meet themselves and judge other countries based on it is just another political way of them lying to their ppl to make them imagine that they care for them .my house maids told us that they would prefer to work here for free rather than in in their won country that just don't seem to care . And to be honest this goes to any country that would do the same thing.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:Looool I knew its chocoholic who's going to post this article the minute I saw it in 7days looool

So let me try to understand this, a country that failed to manage a suitable economy to its ppl ,create enough jobs for them, failed to educate most of them, failed to create a safe country from crimes or a decent health care is judging us to create a safe zone for it ppl ? I know we have to do so but for them to make a list that they can't meet themselves and judge other countries based on it is just another political way of them lying to their ppl to make them imagine that they care for them .my house maids told us that they would prefer to work here for free rather than in in their won country that just don't seem to care . And to be honest this goes to any country that would do the same thing.

Very good post. Absolutely agree.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

stupido 7days! they should have written an article on how filipinos are being driven over by the nissan patrol and land cruiser drivers on sheikh zayed road!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

I can't see Singapore on the safe list either, and there are more groups here taking part in foreign worker rights initiatives. The Philippines also does not do a good job of protecting their own workers abroad because they don't want to jeopardize the economic benefits.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

No the Filipino government doesn't do enough to protect your employers. Plus I'm sure there are many cases of made up abuse, but they'll still keep coming anyway.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

People come to this country for money or opportunity, not because of safety. It just doesn't seem like a particularly safe place here.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: UAE Not On Safe List For Filipino Workers Jun 13, 2011
blueshift wrote:People come to this country for money or opportunity, not because of safety. It just doesn't seem like a particularly safe place here.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: UAE Not On Safe List For Filipino Workers Jun 13, 2011
On a somewhat distantly related note, see the quote below to inderstand why it is "unsafe"

Apparently as long as a passenger speaks Arabic he can get away with not paying taxi fares
Imagine how many cases there might be of a Filipino not being believed as the counterparty spoke in better Arabic.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news ... n-the-line

In Sharjah, Syed Siddiqui, who works for Advantage Taxi, said whenever he called police about a client who refused to pay, the result depended on who spoke better Arabic.

"I could try to explain in my simple Arabic that the client wanted to run with taxi money but if the client was an Arab-speaking national I would always lose the case," Mr Siddiqui said.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat