Advice Needed, Duffers!

Topic locked
Advice needed, Duffers! May 08, 2011
I can expand a bit more later on...but here's the deal:

Mrs. DD and myself have inherited a lovely home here in Australia, but the deal is, in order to deck it out with our furnishings and household goods, we must first get rid of the contents that are already there.

Think of an estate, where all the vultures have circled and picked over anything of value (sentimental or otherwise) and all the stuff left is essentially junk, outdated furniture, and old kitchen goods. The family says to have a garage sale, but quite frankly, this stuff is not worth selling, and if anyone DID buy anything, there is no way that it would all go, so I would be left with truckloads anyway. I am not looking to profit off the goods, but not interested in having people coming over to take a table here, a bed there, etc. even for free as it would take too long.

Anyone have any idea how to empty a house in one fell swoop? Any charities that would do it?

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Advice needed, Duffers! May 08, 2011
dubaidog wrote:I can expand a bit more later on...but here's the deal:

Mrs. DD and myself have inherited a lovely home here in Australia, but the deal is, in order to deck it out with our furnishings and household goods, we must first get rid of the contents that are already there.

Think of an estate, where all the vultures have circled and picked over anything of value (sentimental or otherwise) and all the stuff left is essentially junk, outdated furniture, and old kitchen goods. The family says to have a garage sale, but quite frankly, this stuff is not worth selling, and if anyone DID buy anything, there is no way that it would all go, so I would be left with truckloads anyway. I am not looking to profit off the goods, but not interested in having people coming over to take a table here, a bed there, etc. even for free as it would take too long.

Anyone have any idea how to empty a house in one fell swoop? Any charities that would do it?

1. Hire a skip
2. After your neighbours have filled the skip for you overnight with their rubbish!
3. Hire another skip
4. Update DF
5. Fill the skip with your better quality items
6. When your neighbours and the local tinkers have taken all they want overnight, top it up
7. Repeat No 5 until your stocks are exhausted
8. Update DF
9. Off hire the skip
10. Throw a BBQ to celebrate your success
11. Update DF

:lol: :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Are there no charities that could come and take it for those less fortunate? You never know, as the old saying goes, 'one man's junk, is another man's treasure'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Advice Needed, Duffers! May 08, 2011
I think that the Salvation Army or similar charity may take them and sell them or give them away for free in their second-hand shops.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Why not have a big bonfire? Invite all your friends and get DK to sit on the top. He would make a marvellous 'Guy' I'm sure!
:lol: :lol:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Advice Needed, Duffers! May 09, 2011
@DD - Recently I had to get rid of some "stuff" from a house, I dont sell or give anything to anybody, the thing which I myself would never use , So if you feel its no good, Just get rid of it, I had to hire a small truck and pay them to get rid of the stuff
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Advice needed, Duffers! May 09, 2011
You really want advice on how to best get rid of junk? Call the charities and if they don't want it, burn or throw it away, whatever is easier. If this is this is the extent of your problems, you lead a good life.
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

It is kind of strange in the "real world" now. None of the charities will pick up the goods anymore! Obviously, I could do as Dillon said and hire a skip, but it just seems wasteful. I ended up posting in a flood relief forum that the contents were available for free. I was a little surprised at myself for forgetting already that so many people lost their homes here a few months back.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Ebay !

Or leave it on the curb and put a sign saying do not steal !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Ebay !

Or leave it on the curb and put a sign saying do not steal !

Thanks, DDS. From experience, Ebaying furniture does not work that well....neither will leaving it on the curb in this neighbourhood.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Don't they have a Ozzie version of http://www.takemyjunkuae.com ?

-- Mon May 09, 2011 3:01 am --

Think I got one

http://www.1800gotjunk.com.au/
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Don't they have a Ozzie version of http://www.takemyjunkuae.com ?

-- Mon May 09, 2011 3:01 am --

Think I got one

http://www.1800gotjunk.com.au/

Thanks, man. I am getting in touch with the 1800 junk people now. EXACTLY what I needed. They will recycle and donate as necessary as well, so perfect!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Cheers mate.
desertdudeshj

Re: Advice needed, Duffers! May 09, 2011
Now the 'take my junk' thing really is a good idea!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Advice needed, Duffers! May 10, 2011
Throw the crap out and move on...and "move in"...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Advice needed, Duffers! May 10, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:Now the 'take my junk' thing really is a good idea!

They've been around for a few years now.
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat