Suggestions Please

Topic locked
suggestions please Oct 20, 2006
so i basically decided i should be getting a car for myself quite some time back.. i wasn't very sure what i shoud be getting.. i wasn't even very sure of what budget i should allocate.. so i end up looking for everything and anything fascinating...

fancied a bmw 5 series at first... found out the 530i and even the the 525i might cost me a bit more than what i would like to spend.
so i found a second hand base model 520i (2005).. test drove the car and didn't quite get the feel i was expecting. I found it to be slightly heavy for that engine in it..

after a week. i decided to look out for new cars.. went to nabooda and test drove the golf gti. Amazing car, loved every single bit of it.. came back home.. told my dad (who isn't much into cars).. he didn't know what the gti was and he found it to be a bit expensive for what it looked liked.. plus he is more fond of the japanese makes..

now that i am tired looking for one.. i need help.
i need a car which is good, fast, reliable, and has a good resale value..
and even though i would love to.. i don't want a manual.. anything like the dsg or smg.. would be my ideal choice..

My budget: around 80k would be good... but if its a good car and worth the money i wouldn't mind going up to 110k - 115k

emm_eye
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 20, 2006
what about size?

I bought a Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L (great resale value) for under AED 70K

I also have a Hummer H3 which I bought for AED 125K (Auto and fully loaded)

If you want a car and something not Japanese, i'd say go for the BMW 320i 2007, should be around 100K (Auto)

You could also go for the Mini Cooper (2007 model has sweet improvements to the engine) and its like a go cart. Excellent handling.. I think its about AED 80K starting

All these have great re-sale value. Mercedes is way too over priced.

If you wanna go Japanese, believe it or not but the Mazda 6 will give you a better resale value than the Honday Accord. Of course you could go with the Toyota Camry and be assured of a good resale value.

If you want something thats cheap, yet doesn't make you look dumb.. but young and cool, i'd say go for the Jeep Wrangler or the New Liberty which is around AED 89K

Even the Dodge Charger or the new Dodge Caliber. The Charger should be around AED 85K and the Caliber around AED 65K
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 20, 2006
think you need to a bit of SEARCH ing on this Forum, the question has been asked 10000000000's of times.

Honda Accord 3.0l V6 is going for Dhs86K (good resale, fast and comfortable)
Nissan Altima 3.5l is Dhs87.5K (again, pretty good re-sale, fast but not as comfortable)

You are really struggling for anything under Dhs100K that is "sports car", unless you go 2nd hand.

Chevy Lumina SS is a nice car (some argue), fast, lots of "poke", comfortable and around Dhs120K mark.

There really are just too many damn cars to mention. The minute you go up Dhs10-15K in budget, it brings in a whole new level of car.

good luck and good hunting.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2006
thanks for the reply guys..

i don't think i would be looking for an accord or altima.. its a bit too family type car..

not too sure about suv's either.. but i might consider a few if not all. something like the ford edge. (not sure if we get that here)

lumina ss is definetely a good car.. but i've heard the petrol consumption is a big issue.. what do you think of lumina s? any good?

i think iam reclining more towards small cars though..

i so wish mazdaspeed 3 had an automatic version..
or a megane sport for that matter
or even an alfa 147 gta
or a focus st

Dodge Caliber might be good if we get the SRT 4 here.. not sure if we would though.

What do you guys think of the volvo c30?
any idea when would it be launched.. i asked a sales guy at volvo. He had no idea what i was talking about!
emm_eye
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 20, 2006
You can get the Alpha GTa here.

You are asking more and more questions. All we can say is: FOOK the cost of petrol, it is so damn cheap, you could drink it inlieu of water and still save money!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2006
emm_eye wrote:thanks for the reply guys..

i don't think i would be looking for an accord or altima.. its a bit too family type car..

not too sure about suv's either.. but i might consider a few if not all. something like the ford edge. (not sure if we get that here)

lumina ss is definetely a good car.. but i've heard the petrol consumption is a big issue.. what do you think of lumina s? any good?

i think iam reclining more towards small cars though..

i so wish mazdaspeed 3 had an automatic version..
or a megane sport for that matter
or even an alfa 147 gta
or a focus st

Dodge Caliber might be good if we get the SRT 4 here.. not sure if we would though.

What do you guys think of the volvo c30?
any idea when would it be launched.. i asked a sales guy at volvo. He had no idea what i was talking about!

No Mazdaspeed here, muh'man.

And the C30 is coming out next summer, so don't wait. It is simply an S40 with a smaller body.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2006
yorky500 wrote:You can get the Alpha GTa here.

You are asking more and more questions. All we can say is: FOOK the cost of petrol, it is so damn cheap, you could drink it inlieu of water and still save money!

ummm.. sorry for all the questions.. its just a confused mind with over 3-4 months of car searching..

gtmash wrote:
No Mazdaspeed here, muh'man.

And the C30 is coming out next summer, so don't wait. It is simply an S40 with a smaller body.

too bad no mazdaspeed here..

anyways.. iam not sure where i read this but i know you've done a test drive on the lexus is300. still waiting for that review on your website.
emm_eye
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 20, 2006
Thats the problem, you have searched too damn much. :lol:

I think in this place it can be the wrong way to do it.

Set a budget, scan the pages of gulf news and Auto-trader, a bit of research and go buy. Simple.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2006
If you're looking at BMW 5's then you might as well look at some

- Mercedes

- Lexus

I'd prefer these two over any other makes. But if I was rich and had cash to blow, I'd get a Mustang GT !

8)
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 20, 2006
emm dont ask us guys which car you should go for cos all of us guys have different choices for example girls if u asked the guys wot kind of girls they like all the guys will come up with different kinds of girls :P so when it comes to cars guys will say the same sort of stuff :D

piece of advice the more time u spend on researching for a car the more u ll get confused and spoiled for choice. so i would suggest that if u have the money just go out to some showroom and see which car do YOU like. am sure u worked hard to earn that money so go out and treat urself :D.
as for re-sale just get something NEW if u going for something that is 4-5 years old u wont get a good re-sale price cos u ll find out that SOMETHING has already got so many new shapes released in the market.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 21, 2006
Go for a darn Mini Cooper and get it over with.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 21, 2006
You can't go wrong with a Image
bear
Dubai chat master

Oct 21, 2006
emm_eye wrote:anyways.. iam not sure where i read this but i know you've done a test drive on the lexus is300. still waiting for that review on your website.

Huh? Hehe no, we're getting the IS300 next weekend. We have a 300C SRT-8 this weekend. And the last review I wrote was for the ES350. :D

I did write briefly about what I saw at the IS launch. Maybe that is what you read.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 25, 2006
This is what you really need..............

CorvetteC6
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 25, 2006
one of the lousiest sports car's ever ... a major flop
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 25, 2006
Jamal wrote:one of the lousiest sports car's ever ... a major flop

?????????????????
CorvetteC6
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 25, 2006
tooo difficult to comprehend what i just said huh

i guess as difficult as too control the two dollar corvette u talkin about .. thats why its a flop
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 25, 2006
Jamal wrote:tooo difficult to comprehend what i just said huh

i guess as difficult as too control the two dollar corvette u talkin about .. thats why its a flop

Nice to meet you too. Maybe you should take a ride before you judge. What do you drive???? :roll:
CorvetteC6
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 25, 2006
im just saying its a lousy car on the road... on the track its a good ride ..

but for drivin around on the road its lousy..

i dont got a car ... i jst ride around in ppl's
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 25, 2006
:roll: :roll: :roll:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 25, 2006
you should buy a porsche
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 25, 2006
now this girl knows what she is talkin bout.. word
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 25, 2006
Jamal don't have a banana big enough to fit in a Porsche! hahahahahahaha

Fool, when you gonna get another scooby? :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 25, 2006
Jamal wrote:im just saying its a lousy car on the road... on the track its a good ride ..

but for drivin around on the road its lousy..

i dont got a car ... i jst ride around in ppl's

Take the dude's opinions seriously, people!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 26, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Jamal don't have a banana big enough to fit in a Porsche! hahahahahahaha

Fool, when you gonna get another scooby? :lol:

belive it or not i just bought one yesterday :lol:

but its the normal 2.0 its a 2006 model ... i wanna jst turn the whole thing into an sti WRC1 .. yep read that again not a wrc but a WRC 1 one version ... the limited edition one .. then sell it off again ... when im done with ill holla at u if u gonna be intrested :wink: i gurantee u .. that ull smoke that corvette .. anytime

i myself though am rollin in a padmini super turbo charged GT xrated

that car burns curry baby ... u can smell the masala power of it ...

GTMASH ... now u all gotta listen to that dude too .. cause him approving my opinions means he know's he's car's aswell. respect homie.
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 26, 2006
Forgive my ignorance but what is a padmini?
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 26, 2006
fayz wrote:Forgive my ignorance but what is a padmini?

Are you a newbie to Dubai :wink: ? It's an Indian classic that was marketed here briefly in the mid-to-late 90s. Cost less than Dhs 20k new I believe.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 26, 2006
Jamal wrote:
i gurantee u .. that ull smoke that corvette .. anytime

How goods your guarantee? I'm willing to take that bet. You wont' get close enough to even get a chance to even read the LINGENFELTER on the rear bumper while your coughing up the loss.......and picking up your embarassment
CorvetteC6
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 26, 2006
I once raced a guy who owned a corvette....he lost :roll:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 26, 2006
bushra21 wrote:I once raced a guy who owned a corvette....he lost :roll:

He either:

A. Couldn't drive
B. Wasn't racing you

:lol: