Radar Detectors....are They LEGAL?

Topic locked
Radar Detectors....are they LEGAL? Mar 25, 2006
In the US and Europe, radar detectors are legal due to the fact that radar detectors only provide the driver with information, just like a GPS navigation system.

So, what does a radar detector behave? it basically scans for signals given out by radars and provides (on display or sound) the distance of the intercepted signal (radar) and it's clocked speed (some models). It does not, however, cut/disturbe/interfere with the radar's signal at all. Some models of radar detectors do this, which IS ILLEGAL worldwide.

But those other models, are they REALLY legal? if police stop you and notice what you have, any fines, confiscation or even impoundement of the vehicle?

I want concrete proof/answers ;)

hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 25, 2006
They selling them openly on souq.com

just waiting for a copper posing as a buyer and busting the guy.... :lol:
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

hmmm...yes and no Mar 25, 2006
i asked a police man once whether the detectors are legal or not, he
said there is no law to ban them, even though they have orders to confiscate cars who are having the detector visibly attached to the wind shield... i have a good tint on my car so its hardly be seen by outsiders..
anyway, to be on the safe side i remove the detector and just put it on the
seat just encase a cop passes by...
i'm doing that since 2 years...
yalfalasi
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 27, 2006
Ok, there is no law against radar detectors, yet they confiscate them?

That is so silly......

I do not have tints on my car, i removed the tints and would like to be tint free.....

Note: The ones they sell on souq.com are just rip offs, you should check ebay, a good one should go no more than $80 or so.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 27, 2006
The speed limit rules are there for a reason. Drive at or below the speed limit and you don't need any gadgets. You may think that speeding is fun, but it can result in death - so screw your heads back on straight and follow the rules.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
kanelli wrote:The speed limit rules are there for a reason. Drive at or below the speed limit and you don't need any gadgets. You may think that speeding is fun, but it can result in death - so screw your heads back on straight and follow the rules.

Spoil sport.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 30, 2006
kanelli wrote:The speed limit rules are there for a reason. Drive at or below the speed limit and you don't need any gadgets. You may think that speeding is fun, but it can result in death - so screw your heads back on straight and follow the rules.

I see, you are talking about drivers that do the following:

-Leave no safety distance at high speeds
-Have bad tires, brakes, suspention components or other critical stability issues.
-Drive 120+ in an 80 zone during rush hour
-Like to 'snake' around traffic, not caring.
-Drive cars that are made for towns and cities, pushing well beyond their limit

Driving a nissan sunny at 120 is completely different than driving a porsche, bmw, mercedes, audi, VW at the same speed. Ask you'reself, in Germany, the autobahn has no speed limits, where i drove at 272kpr in my step fathers 545i, other cars were still overtaking me, and they have very low accident records.....

Speed does NOT kill, it is a combination of driver + car's limits/mechanics. Only once in Dubai i pushed my car to it's limit, i reached over 260kpr, but that was at 2:00am, no cars, new tires, freshly serviced car, two winters back.....nearly perfect conditions for such drive. I always obey the speed limits, but every now and then, you do need some help, face the facts.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 30, 2006
Read some studies - speed DOES kill. The only place that anyone should be driving 260 kmph is on a closed racetrack. Anyone doing that on a public road at any time of day is irresponsible and a potential murderer. Sadly, some people don't learn this lesson until they kill someone or some animal, total their car, or maim or kill themselves.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 30, 2006
kanelli wrote:Read some studies - speed DOES kill. The only place that anyone should be driving 260 kmph is on a closed racetrack. Anyone doing that on a public road at any time of day is irresponsible and a potential murderer. Sadly, some people don't learn this lesson until they kill someone or some animal, total their car, or maim or kill themselves.

Studies are based on ordinary people driving ordinary cars, it is also based on testing against a small group of individuals......

Speed does NOT kill, if speed kills, then we will be all dead by now, transportation is all about speed, making it safe is the key.

Kindly re-read what i have posted in my earlier post, there is a list of problems that should be addressed before jumping and blaming speed for accidents that occure. I will be picky, but did you know that tires are the most important reason why accidents happen? at least in my view, since there arenumerous ratings on tires for speed, threadlife, comfort, resistance, pressure, tempreature and driving condition, where 95% of car owners don't even realize.

When was the last time you check the pressure in the tires, threadlife and condition? did you know that it takes less than 5 minutes to check those? yet it takes seconds for an accident to occure.

Kindly keep you're anti-speed related opinions to you'reself, since this thread is specifically on radar detectors, if you wish, start a speeding thread, or how speed kills.

Note: You don't have to be speeding to get a radar detector 8)
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 30, 2006
hosrom_951,
What car you drive man?

I agree with your point about the autobahn. Been there doing 220 and was passed by a 1970+ porsche without a windshield, the guy was on helmet, googles, and a scarf :) it was really funny.

Anyway, i do agree that speed doesn't kill, but stupidity does.

Cheers
yshimy

Mar 30, 2006
Have you checked the statistics on the age and gender of the people who have the most auto accidents? Young males. How do you account for this?

I won't keep my opinion to myself - as long as people like you drive on the same roads that I do, I will certainly speak up.

You think that driving a powerful car as fast as you can on a public road just to get an adrenaline rush is perfectly okay. Many people would disagree and say that you are selfish and dangerous. Take your sports car to a race track if you want to drive above the legal limit and be responsible while doing it.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 30, 2006
kanelli wrote:Have you checked the statistics on the age and gender of the people who have the most auto accidents? Young males. How do you account for this?

I won't keep my opinion to myself - as long as people like you drive on the same roads that I do, I will certainly speak up.

You think that driving a powerful car as fast as you can on a public road just to get an adrenaline rush is perfectly okay. Many people would disagree and say that you are selfish and dangerous. Take your sports car to a race track if you want to drive above the legal limit and be responsible while doing it.

You ought to chill.... Then you should just smile. :D
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 30, 2006

Bad they don't have bicycle lanes here....

cheer up Kanelli, we are not bad people... we still live, means we drive safe... fast safe, but still safe ;)
yshimy

Mar 30, 2006
Agree with Kanelli, major studies reveal that speed does kill and increase the chance of serious injury if you're involved in an accident. The faster you're going the more distance you should leave between you and the car in front as stopping distances are increased. The reaction time you have to get yourself out of a situation is decreaed sustantially.

Why do you think there are massive advertising and public awareness campagins saying speed kills.

You are more likely to kill a pedestrian driving at 40mph than 30mph.
Specifically, if you hit a pedestrian while driving at 20 mph, the pedestrian has a 95% chance of survival.
If you hit an adult pedestrian while driving at 30mph, the survival chance is 80%. But if you hit a pedestrian while driving at 40mph, the pedestrian's chances of dying rises to 90%. (this lowers to 80% for a child).
General

Every driver can make a difference just by slowing down a few miles per hour and observing speed limits.
Excessive speed is a contributory factor in over 1,000 deaths and over 38,000 injuries every year.
The law of physics dictate that the higher the speed at impact, the more energy must be rapidly absorbed by hard metal, soft flesh and brittle bone.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 30, 2006
yshimy wrote:hosrom_951,
What car you drive man?

I agree with your point about the autobahn. Been there doing 220 and was passed by a 1970+ porsche without a windshield, the guy was on helmet, googles, and a scarf :) it was really funny.

Anyway, i do agree that speed doesn't kill, but stupidity does.

Cheers

I drive a 1986 Porsche, that i worked on myself.

kanelli wrote:Have you checked the statistics on the age and gender of the people who have the most auto accidents? Young males. How do you account for this?

Please re-read what i posted, i drive well under the speed limit, and only once with no-one around me till the eye could see, late at night and when the conditions were right, that is when i pushed my car, ONCE.

Again, start a new thread on speed, you did not post anything informative on radar detectors....yet.

Chocoholic wrote:Agree with Kanelli, major studies reveal that speed does kill and increase the chance of serious injury if you're involved in an accident. The faster you're going the more distance you should leave between you and the car in front as stopping distances are increased. The reaction time you have to get yourself out of a situation is decreaed sustantially.

Why do you think there are massive advertising and public awareness campagins saying speed kills.

You are more likely to kill a pedestrian driving at 40mph than 30mph.
Specifically, if you hit a pedestrian while driving at 20 mph, the pedestrian has a 95% chance of survival.
If you hit an adult pedestrian while driving at 30mph, the survival chance is 80%. But if you hit a pedestrian while driving at 40mph, the pedestrian's chances of dying rises to 90%. (this lowers to 80% for a child).
General

Every driver can make a difference just by slowing down a few miles per hour and observing speed limits.
Excessive speed is a contributory factor in over 1,000 deaths and over 38,000 injuries every year.
The law of physics dictate that the higher the speed at impact, the more energy must be rapidly absorbed by hard metal, soft flesh and brittle bone.

Choco, that is why i posted a list, which anyone could add on info. If conditions are right, then go ahead.

Everyone should ask themselves how race car driver's survive high speed impacts, and at 200+mph.......thanks to a crew of 20+peope that monitor everything on the car (again, included in the list i made) and a roll cage.

On the street, i obey all the laws, rugh hour or not, but speeding once on a 5 lane empty road with right mechanical and tire condition is not an excuse for people to start picking on me.......especially when it is not related to my thread!
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 31, 2006
If you aren't interested in speeding frequently, why are you interested in radar detectors, and why did you choose a Porche?

Some of you might think that I am too serious about this, but people are being killed on the roads here every day. We've narrowly avoided accidents because of bad drivers so many times in the past four months - it by far beats the number of times we've avoided accidents in the past four years in Europe and North America!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 31, 2006
I think you are being serious K

You and Choc have my highest regard for speaking your minds, and at the end of the day you are both correct.

The driving is so bad, as you know Shaf and i bought "tanks" because of our concern of bad road safety in DXB.

Carry on posting K
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 01, 2006
kanelli wrote:If you aren't interested in speeding frequently, why are you interested in radar detectors, and why did you choose a Porche?

Some of you might think that I am too serious about this, but people are being killed on the roads here every day. We've narrowly avoided accidents because of bad drivers so many times in the past four months - it by far beats the number of times we've avoided accidents in the past four years in Europe and North America!

Driving in Jumeirah at 80, the radar flashes at 81 sometimes.

Now, if you are trying to tell me that the speedometer is 100% dead on, and you can keep it at exactly 80, then my hat is off to you. And don't start talking about driving lower than that speed, since we are talking about hundreds of people taking that road, and not everyone drive's below the speed limit. And as you say, i am not exceeding the limit, but obeying it!!

It is a major pain to pay Dhs 200 for speeding 1 kpr over the limit, where as you cannot see the radar, nor can the car's speed be 100% accurate.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 01, 2006
In the UK the fixed Gatso's allow a speedo error margin of +10%. do9nt forget, even though you may get flashed you may not get a ticket, if the cameras have run out of film they will flash you but no record is recorded.

In the Uk they are trialing the new digital cams that trasmit the picture electonically, therefore no need for film.
arniegang

Apr 01, 2006
hosrom_951 wrote:
kanelli wrote:If you aren't interested in speeding frequently, why are you interested in radar detectors, and why did you choose a Porche?

Now, if you are trying to tell me that the speedometer is 100% dead on, and you can keep it at exactly 80, then my hat is off to you. And don't start talking about driving lower than that speed, since we are talking Ifabout hundreds of people taking that road, and not everyone drive's below the speed limit. And as you say, i am not exceeding the limit, but obeying it!!

It is a major pain to pay Dhs 200 for speeding 1 kpr over the limit, where as you cannot see the radar, nor can the car's speed be 100% accurate.

Wow, then how come there isn't a big uproar about all the radar cameras being set so low to the speed limit - catching and applying fines to people. ? I've never heard of people getting tickets here for going 1 kmph over the limit.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 01, 2006
kanelli wrote:I've never heard of people getting tickets here for going 1 kmph over the limit.

Well know you have heard about it.

Congratulations!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 01, 2006
Well Liban, that was a great contribution, as usual. :lol:

Let me rephrase. I think it is bullshit that the radar cameras are set so low that everyone should have a radar detector to save themselves from piles of fines every month. If low settings were really a problem, there would be an uproar because EVERYONE would be getting tickets left right and centre - but this is not the case.

We've only had one ticket - my husband was going 10 kmph over the limit on SZR.

Anyone else here getting piles of tickets for going 1kmph over the speed limit?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 02, 2006
kanelli wrote:
hosrom_951 wrote:

Now, if you are trying to tell me that the speedometer is 100% dead on, and you can keep it at exactly 80, then my hat is off to you. And don't start talking about driving lower than that speed, since we are talking Ifabout hundreds of people taking that road, and not everyone drive's below the speed limit. And as you say, i am not exceeding the limit, but obeying it!!

Wow, then how come there isn't a big uproar about all the radar cameras being set so low to the speed limit - catching and applying fines to people. ? I've never heard of people getting tickets here for going 1 kmph over the limit.

I got 3 tickets in one month in Jumeirah for going just over 80kpr, that's Dhs 600.

Even the news paper doesn't know if they are illegal or not:http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_and_Transport/10029949.html

kanelli wrote:Well Liban, that was a great contribution, as usual. :lol:

Let me rephrase. I think it is bullshit that the radar cameras are set so low that everyone should have a radar detector to save themselves from piles of fines every month. If low settings were really a problem, there would be an uproar because EVERYONE would be getting tickets left right and centre - but this is not the case.

We've only had one ticket - my husband was going 10 kmph over the limit on SZR.

Anyone else here getting piles of tickets for going 1kmph over the speed limit?

You have to respect people's opinion, everyone has a different view on everything. And what makes you think that people do not have radar detectors in their cars? i knew 20+ people back in media city that have then in their car, particularly for those mobile camera's that flash early. Don't believe me? check teh 'when do radars start flashing' thread, they do flash early.

Again, if these were illegal, i would not buy one, hence why i started this thread. But i find it extremely hard for me to believe that you never exceeded the speed limit every, not even once in you're life.....
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2006
It wasn't until my right to give an opinion here was challenged that I continued to write. I do respect your right to have an opinion, and the same respect should be extended to me as well. I'm well aware that you aren't the only one who speeds on Dubai's roads. I'm sorry if you felt that I was picking on you, because I didn't mean to single only you out. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 02, 2006
Speeding in fun... 8)

Now I have to duck before kangaroo/panther Kanelli bites me :lol:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 03, 2006
It is confirmed, article in gulf news states that the radar detectors are ILLEGAL.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 03, 2006
hosrom_951 wrote:It is confirmed, article in gulf news states that the radar detectors are ILLEGAL.

Its in the paper...Must be true then!

But the riot at the Burj Dubai and the Taxi drivers strike were not...so they obviously were not true...

Like most countries, except the US, radar detectors are technically illegal, but only if you are caught with one.

Now what they need to introduce here are speed bump detectors....

:wink:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 03, 2006
DK

In the UK, they are still technically legal. This is because they are classed as a "safety device". They are trying to push through parliament to change this though.

The one that are illegal are the "blockers" ie ones that interfere with the portable roadside one".

The technicallity that make the detectors legal here is, that as long as the driver receives information that they are approaching a change in speed limit or low speed limits like schools etc, then they are classified as "driving aids".
arniegang

Apr 04, 2006
arniegang wrote:DK

In the UK, they are still technically legal. This is because they are classed as a "safety device". They are trying to push through parliament to change this though.

The one that are illegal are the "blockers" ie ones that interfere with the portable roadside one".

The technicallity that make the detectors legal here is, that as long as the driver receives information that they are approaching a change in speed limit or low speed limits like schools etc, then they are classified as "driving aids".

Good heavens! I must have been away for too long...I'll tell my brother, who had his' K' band detector, US purchased one, confiscated by an officious twat in a chess board hat on the M4 a while back!

Cheers for unveiling that gem mate! :wink:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 04, 2006
arniegang wrote:The one that are illegal are the "blockers" ie ones that interfere with the portable roadside one".

Bingo, just like GPS navigation devices, they only supply the driver with information, they do not interfer nor block signals
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto