Motorbikes In UAE

Topic locked
Motorbikes in UAE Apr 11, 2006
Hello All,
I'm new in here and am planning to migrate to Dubai in the next coupla months. I am an avid biker back home in India and I want to continue to do the same in UAE.
Can you tell me abt the motorcycle licensing in UAE? Also is it safe to ride a bike in UAE?

Your comments will be appreciated.

Regards,
Hiren

hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2006
Ever heard of "russian roulette" ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 11, 2006
If you have a bike licence in India, you will still have to take the test here. Lots of bikes for the couriers etc. but the drivers here have no idea about awareness and you almost become a target! As Arnie says, 'Russian Roulette' however here its like using an automatic pistol!

The most common machines on the road are Honda CBR 200's but the Bajaj is making inroads. All the usual stuff apart from that from scooters to mental sports bikes to the ubiquitous Harley.

Thought about getting a 500cc Enfield Bullet shipped in from over there, but apparently there is no service facility yet.

Be careful!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 11, 2006
Yo Hiren,

You are in baby!

It is not so safe to ride on dubai roads. Yet more and more people are buying sports bikes.. Courier Bikes are like street cats, Almost everywhere, every time.

The only factor to observe is that, the fellow car drivers never consider bikers. Besides them some bikers ride so stupid..!

nyways.. hope to see u in dubai roads.. safe!

regards
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Apr 12, 2006
Yep it's true to say that drivers don't consider bikes and never look out for them.

Plus with the high powered sports bikes, there have been a spate of thefts of them recently, loads have been stolen, plus insurance companies won't insure them against theft.

The bike couriers and delivery guys are nuts, they just dart in and out of traffic like loonies.

The Harley guys are fun and go on regular road trips around the emirates.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 12, 2006
Yep it's true to say that drivers don't consider bikes and never look out for them

Hmmmmmmmm...fact is drivers don't consider other drivers, pedestrians, road rules or anything here!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 12, 2006
Well not quite true. Most drivers are quite aware that killing the Sheikh's peacocks in his Zaabeel Palace, for example, is quite dangerous so they are careful there.

When I do donuts there in my car I make sure I do not hit a peacock. 8)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 12, 2006
Great replies all of you. Thanks a lot. Cant wait to be there. Just have to take care of one minor detail: JOB :oops:
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2006
hirenmistry wrote:Great replies all of you. Thanks a lot. Cant wait to be there. Just have to take care of one minor detail: JOB :oops:

Thought of being a motorcycle courier?

Liban could do with someone to change the tyres on his Jumeirah tank after all those doughnuts outside the palace.

Peacock pate anyone?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 13, 2006
Well not quite true. Most drivers are quite aware that killing the Sheikh's peacocks in his Zaabeel Palace, for example, is quite dangerous so they are careful there.

When I do donuts there in my car I make sure I do not hit a peacock.

Don't hit the male ones 'cos they are the prettiest.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2006
I feel sorry for the peacocks that smell my burnt rubber when I spin my wheels in front of the main gates as the military and CID guards gaze at my with splendor and awe :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 13, 2006
GAB wrote:

for ur info peacocks are males! female = peahen :lol:
hashman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 13, 2006
Liban wrote:I feel sorry for the peacocks that smell my burnt rubber when I spin my wheels in front of the main gates as the military and CID guards gaze at my with splendor and awe :)

They gaze at you with splendour and awe...and at your license plate with binoculars!

When the SMS arrives on your mobile as you are spinning so elegantly that says..."Dear Mr Liban, please keep spinning, we are just re-loading!" time to make a fast exit!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 14, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
hirenmistry wrote:Great replies all of you. Thanks a lot. Cant wait to be there. Just have to take care of one minor detail: JOB :oops:

Thought of being a motorcycle courier?

Liban could do with someone to change the tyres on his Jumeirah tank after all those doughnuts outside the palace.

Peacock pate anyone?

Knight

Motorcycle courier :lol: Now that wud taking quite a step backwards for me.

I mean no offence to anyone. I am a Test Lead/Project Lead by profession in an IT company and am shortly giving PMP a shot.

Hoping to be in Dubai/Abu Dhabi soon.

Cheers,
Hiren
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2006
hashman wrote:
GAB wrote:

for ur info peacocks are males! female = peahen :lol:

nice catch hash! Ironically, the old hen brags having high IQ :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 24, 2006
Liban wrote:I feel sorry for the peacocks that smell my burnt rubber when I spin my wheels in front of the main gates as the military and CID guards gaze at my with splendor and awe :)

Ahhhhhh man, if I would have been one of those CID guards, I would have shot two bullets at ur buttock cheeks, pick up the bike, ur shades , pick up a peacock and ride off wiht ur cheeks bleeding to flirt with a beautifyk Shiekha! :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 01, 2006
Guys,
any website to check the prices of 600cc super sports bike?
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 07, 2006
Hiren

Autodealer.ae has a few good bikes and i did run into a couple of ad's in Gulf News classified as well.

If you are looking for a deal, an older ZX6 or a ZZR will be the best buy since you want a sportbike but if you are experienced enough, why not spoil yourself and get a CBR600RR new ? :D
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 28, 2006
Keith,
My problem is I am not experienced enough. Back home i am used to a 180cc 4 stroker and a 350cc screamer.
I'd be happy to settle for a 3 year old super sports bike. I am inclined towards the Ninja 636. I will have to get used to the manic power delivery of these bikes as compared to the 'mopeds' that i have been using. oops: : :P

Cheers,
Hiren
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2006
hirenmistry wrote:Keith,
My problem is I am not experienced enough. Back home i am used to a 180cc 4 stroker and a 350cc screamer.
I'd be happy to settle for a 3 year old super sports bike. I am inclined towards the Ninja 636. I will have to get used to the manic power delivery of these bikes as compared to the 'mopeds' that i have been using. oops: : :P

Cheers,
Hiren

Hiren, the 636 is a crazy bike in terms or power and handling but its expensive as well. Why dont you get yourself a ZZR400 or a ZZR600 to start with ??

I've seen CBR400's for sale for around 4000dhs. They are great bikes and if you hear of any good deals, please let me know as well. I'd love to get one as soon as im in dubai
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 03, 2006
Yes Keith, I've heard abt the 636.
I just love that bike.

4k DHS for a used CBR400 sound very good. Probably, I will get myself one of those and then upgrade. I will be in DXB in December. Will let you know if I come across any good bikes.

Thanks,
Hiren
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 03, 2006
hirenmistry wrote:Yes Keith, I've heard abt the 636.
I just love that bike.

4k DHS for a used CBR400 sound very good. Probably, I will get myself one of those and then upgrade. I will be in DXB in December. Will let you know if I come across any good bikes.

Thanks,
Hiren

that will be great. I'll let you know too in case i happen to hear of any good deals :wink:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 03, 2006
So it seems safer to drive motorbike in here than in Dubai, what a shame, i would love to ride in your country... but dont want to kill me either !

and i guess there are no mountains in Dubai ?
Lara_CH_73
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 04, 2006
Lara_CH_73 wrote:and i guess there are no mountains in Dubai ?
No, but some nearby in Ras Al Khaimah/Fujairah/Hatta with some fun roads to drive on, also up Jebel Hafeet, and in Oman once you get past Muscat or through Nizwa area.

I'd be very nervous riding a bike here though.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 04, 2006
Lara_CH_73 wrote:So it seems safer to drive motorbike in here than in Dubai, what a shame, i would love to ride in your country... but dont want to kill me either !

and i guess there are no mountains in Dubai ?

wow Lara are you a biker too?? thats cool

Maybe we can organise a ride out for Dubai Forum members...that would be awesome
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 04, 2006
KeithL wrote:wow Lara are you a biker too?? thats cool

Maybe we can organise a ride out for Dubai Forum members...that would be awesome

Yes, i've started 3 years ago now with an NSR 125cc and 6 monthes after, CBR 600 RR4 - I should admit that even having a car, i prefer ridding my motorbike at any weather (obviously not in winter with snow, tyres dont like it !!!) :wink:
Lara_CH_73
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 04, 2006
lol a ride in Dubai ? :lol: :shock: :lol:

It will take a bit longer for me to come over... if you are patient enough why not lol :lol:
Lara_CH_73
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 04, 2006
hay,
i heard, but not sure, that they don't grant females motorbikes driving licenses....

anyone knows about that???

IF you are european, i think the best bet is to come with your homeland driving license and replace it here with local one.

I'll work on my Motorbike DL when weather gets better, as i need to pass through the freaking school then test cycle

cheers
yshimy

Aug 04, 2006
Lara_CH_73 wrote:lol a ride in Dubai ? :lol: :shock: :lol:

It will take a bit longer for me to come over... if you are patient enough why not lol :lol:

:oops: :oops: ...i thought you were in dubai or planning to get there soon :?
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 04, 2006
yshimy wrote:hay,
i heard, but not sure, that they don't grant females motorbikes driving licenses....

anyone knows about that???

IF you are european, i think the best bet is to come with your homeland driving license and replace it here with local one.

I'll work on my Motorbike DL when weather gets better, as i need to pass through the freaking school then test cycle

cheers

:shock: :shock: :shock: really ?

That's not really fair isnt'it ? Well last time I went to Bali, I used my International Driving licence and it was fine to rent a bike there, hopefully the same in Dubai ?!
Lara_CH_73
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto