Importing A Car From The UK?

Topic locked
Importing a car from the UK? Feb 22, 2008
Moving to Dubai/Abu Dhabi in April and wondering if I can ship over my Lotus Elan S2 (1994) from the UK?

I've heard that because its a RHD it might be a problem. However, Ive also heard it may be possible if you "know a local" - what does this mean? If I take it across and dont register it, what are the consequences of this?

What are the procedures i need to do once it arrives off the ship? Paperwork, taxes etc?

Cheers much.

philh
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 22, 2008
i would luv to know what happened with you. because i have a old mini back in england which i want to ship it to UAE. obviously it is right handed and will probably have to convert it and then i ll probably have to get it registered under some uae locals name.

by the way how much did u pay for the shipping charges? and the custom fee?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2008
Rudeboy - just posted my query yesterday and plan to move to Dubai/AD in April. So will be looking to ship the car out then.

At this stage I am looking for the same answers as you - can a RHD be registered (what is this chat about "if you know a local")? How much does importation cost? etc etc

Hopefully someone will respond with sage words for us...
philh
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 22, 2008
you cannot register a RHD car in the UAE unless you have seriously high connections in the Traffic Dept.

You can export your car but you wont be able to drive it i'm affraid.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 22, 2008
B@lls - that's just what I feared.

Thanks anyway for the confirmation.

Will have to sell the baby or leave at home :cry:
philh
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 22, 2008
ok i used to own a skyline. i got it from japan and had 2 options. passing it on my sponsors name or my local friends name. Or i could convert the interior of the car from right to left and then get it registerd in dubai or Sharjah.

What happens is that if you have a right hand car you can get it registered under a locals name. ppl were doing this years ago but not sure about that now. but you will have to register the car in abu dhabi or ajman or some other emirates apart from dubai. dubai doesnt allow it.
best thing would be to do is call up the police and ask them whats the procedure. i think they will ask you to convert it from right to left which is a hassle. you will have to buy original parts and find a good mechanic etc.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 22, 2008
So you can register a RHD in AD under a local's name. Sounds good to me.

Are expat residents "local" or do you mean someone born and bred in UAE?
philh
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 04, 2008
philh wrote:So you can register a RHD in AD under a local's name. Sounds good to me.

Are expat residents "local" or do you mean someone born and bred in UAE?

UAE local means locals with the passport. and am not sure whether AD allows registration of right hand cars any more because I had the skyline 3 years ago and by then they were changing the rules. not sure what the law is now. you will need to check with the abu dhabi authorities.

oh by the way when you register the car onto a locals name the car will be his, so make sure that you make an agreement letter between yourself and the local so that he cant sell the car or run away with it.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 04, 2008
philh y dont u convert your car from right to left? and that way you will be able to register it in dubai. mind you the conversion has to be original with all the original parts and from a certified garage here in UAE.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto