Importing A Car From Another Emirate

Topic locked
Importing a car from another Emirate Mar 12, 2007
Hey all, Was wondering if any of you had experience with this.

I'm considering buying a car that is from Abu Dhabi, originally bought at Ali and Sons in AD and from the original owner and the vehicle is registered in Abu Dhabi, i.e. has AD plates, my residency is in Dubai and I would guess I have to 'import' the car to this Emirate so I can license it.

How do I go about doing this? anybody do this before?

Any input you can offer is appreciated.

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 12, 2007
In Abu Dhabi : Cancel reg, get import plates, drive to Dubai.
In Dubai : Pass it, get insurance, get Dubai reg

I bought from a shop so I got a shitload of paperwork showing I own the car. Not sure what happens with private buyers, although I don't remember Dubai cops asking for anything other than some port customs paper.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 13, 2007
Thanks GT, now you got me thinking, will I have to pay any taxes? I heard that it cost something like AED 100 for an import plate and it is just a matter of driving it down and registering it, does that sound rate?
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 17, 2007
yes, i think there is a fee for the plates.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Mar 17, 2007
You will get export plates, and you would need insurance for 3-4 days, some companies specialize in this.

We moved our BMW from sharjah to dubai, not much paper work, but time cunsuming.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 18, 2007
thanks, can you elaborate on the "time consuming" did you not just have to get the export plates, temp insurance, drive it down to Tasjeel, get it checked and licensed?

Also what if the car currently has a loan on it? From what I've been told all i have to do is go with the current owner to the bank, pay off the amount owing and get some sort of letter to say the loan is cleared. Does that sound right?
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 19, 2007
Hey Fayz, to save time and money, you can always push your luck :lol:

I went plateless from Sharjah to Dubai. Didn't come across any cop cars, except maybe for a prison bus.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto