Another Mindless Death On Dubai's Roads :-(

Topic locked
Mar 27, 2006
Well, you should see how they drive when they haven't been drinking. An accident could easily happen without alcohol being involved. :shock:

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
Kanelli, who are you reffering to when you say
"you should see them when they havent been drinking?"

Just because a car has blacked out windows doesnt mean the guy or woman for that matter, is local.

Just because the car is fancy doesnt mean the guy or woman driving is local.

Just because he looks arabic doesnt mean hes local.

Just because he wears a kandoora doesnt mean hes local.

The worst drivers I think are the taxi drivers and none of them are local?!

There are lots of people in Dubai that have been here for years and live like locals, but they are Saudis, Iranians or Somalians.

Without a UAE passport, you are not a "local"!!

People please once again I say it.educate yourselves......... :roll:

Anyone who drives drunk, wrecklessly, causes accidents or kills people deserve severe punishment, but lets not put our blinkers on(!) and always think its a "local" to blame!
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006
SheikhaS, you are always assuming that people are talking about locals. I was talking about a few people that I know and have seen drive. They are Arabs, but not locals. Where in my previous posts did I say LOCALS?

Don't you feel like a bit of an ass when you keep assuming that we are slagging locals all the time when we aren't? Get the chip off your shoulder and read people's posts more carefully.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

local Mar 27, 2006
...local coffee, local mall, local street local sheep local chicken, local beef, local tea...local vocal..loud and proud...

what other local thing did i miss? oh, please...add more :)
Kitster
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006
Better watch out kitster, you're gonna get yourself into trouble for mentioning the word LOCAL!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
Kanelli, I asked you a question........

Kanelli, who are you reffering to when you say

And then I went on to state facts about "locals" as we were discussing the topic previously in the forum.

It was Intamacy that brought "locals" into the conversation by saying...

"i have noticed that people ignore them because they are locals"

referring to "locals" that cause accidents.

I know I get annoyed at these things too much, and I have the decency to apologise for ranting too much.So to you I say Sorry......

But Im not an ass, thank you very much.I have an opinion like anybody else on this forum. :wink:
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006
And dont reply with a cheeky comment!!

:lol:

End of discussion!!! Deal?!
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006
No problems SheikhaS, just try not to jump to conclusions. By the way I just asked if you felt like an ass, I wasn't calling you an ass. :) Sorry anyway.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 27, 2006
no deal

K must have the last word/post or 10, i insist

:lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 27, 2006
I'm a bit chuffed that someone thinks I'm cheeky. That is a great compliment for such a square person as myself :wink: :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

unfolding drama... Mar 27, 2006
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: awww...so sweet...

:lol: :lol: :lol: thats it boys girls...be nice in the sand box!
Kitster
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006
I think the most reckless, uncooperative drivers are the mallus and the pathans in those pickups (any pathans here? :roll: )
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 27, 2006
easternjewel wrote:I think the most reckless, uncooperative drivers are the mallus and the pathans in those pickups (any pathans here? :roll: )

Whats up with all these weird words?

Whats a pathan or mallu?

Indians?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 27, 2006
pathans; subcast in Pakistanis from 'not sure'
Mallus; Subcast in Indians from south
easternjewel

Mar 27, 2006
Hee hee!

I love building sand castles!!

Come join us Kitster!!

:cat:
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006
SheikhaS wrote:Kanelli, who are you reffering to when you say

Just because a car has blacked out windows doesnt mean the guy or woman for that matter, is local.

Just because the car is fancy doesnt mean the guy or woman driving is local.

Just because he looks arabic doesnt mean hes local.

Just because he wears a kandoora doesnt mean hes local.

The worst drivers I think are the taxi drivers and none of them are local?!

There are lots of people in Dubai that have been here for years and live like locals, but they are Saudis, Iranians or Somalians.

Without a UAE passport, you are not a "local"!!

People please once again I say it.educate yourselves......... :roll:

Anyone who drives drunk, wrecklessly, causes accidents or kills people deserve severe punishment, but lets not put our blinkers on(!) and always think its a "local" to blame!

isnt there a law where only locals can heavily tint their cars ?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2006
easternjewel wrote:I think the most reckless, uncooperative drivers are the mallus and the pathans in those pickups (any pathans here? :roll: )

no wonder u r rascist!!!! I guess HP is one of those races u metioned....that kinda proves why he is so degenerative ....
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2006
sniper420 wrote:no wonder u r rascist!!!!

that makes me a rascist? whtelse wud i call a mallu who is a mallu or a pathan who is a pathan then?
I said wht i said out of my everyday driving observation and experience.
easternjewel

Mar 28, 2006
Even locals are not supposed to tint their windows as much as they do.

OK so I was out with the police today as part of the Caltex Roadstar to reward good drivers.

I have to say it was pretty hard to find many at all! The Captain of the police we were out with was local and a very nice man, whilst the officer driving the police car accompanying us was fro Yemen - Liban you were correct most of the officers are fro Yemen or Egypt.

The officer said they get so many hassles from pulling bad driving locals, they constantly argue or reel in their mate in high places to get their points taken off or the fines reduced. But he also said many of them are just mouthy and when he's called for back up and hauled them off to the police station they normally are quiet and behave. But he did point out that Nationals are pretty awful on the roads but are getting better, he also said the Indians and Pakistanis are pretty awful too - from the horses mouth so no more arguments over who's worst!!!!

They said that there are bad drivers from all nationalities and they have big issues policing the roads. One major issue they have is actually 'slow' drivers, you know the ones who sit in the second lane to the fast one, causing people to undertake them, he said these people cause many accidents and are a pain and they should drive in the right hand lane.

For those of you who are interested the nationalities we rewarded were: Sri Lankan, Indian, Iranian, a Scot and two nationals, a man and a woman.

It was so funny as we followed the national gentleman we made sure he was wearing a seat belt, he signalled at every turn, kept to the speed limit, he even had his mobile docked in the speaker system. He was so appreciative and said he would donate the money we gave him to charity. Lovely guy and a great example of how all people should drive.

We followed one lady for a while as we couldn't see if she was wearing her seat belt. She had a baby in a child seat strapped in, which was good, but sadly, no she wasn't wearing her own seat belt. Some people were really good then would dash through a light as it turned red, or fail to indicate, or push in, weren't wearing seatbelts, talking of the phone, the list is endless.

It was a veer interesting experience, had to laugh though as we headed towards Mumzar park two kids flew up the road on quad bikes. The Captain said these things are a big problem and they're very difficult to catch as they just hop over the curb and disappear down a backstreet.

Out again on Wednesday. But honestly the police have a long way to go. The points system is onyl being implemented in Abu Dhabi not Dubai.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 28, 2006
Choco, thanks for the post. It was really interesting!

Nice to hear that there are rewards for driving safely and people are being acknowledged for it. Its a shame that our lives arent the best reward though eh to some people?

Anyway, dont know if anybody else heard about the big advertising campaign thats in the process regarding road safety.

Maybe tv adverts similar to those in the UK?.The adverts after 9pm are pretty scary, but definately get the point across in the UK I think.

Lets hope you find more sensible drivers on Wednesday! Good work! :D
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 03, 2006
for a newbie like me whos on the way to learning and then getting a car...i am in so much doubt after moving to dubai...its like looking at the end of a tunnel and seeing a train...wonder if i should just stick to cabs...or maybe if i do venture out EVER...avoid the SZR totally...gives me the cold shivers...its time that DUBAI woke up to the fact that there is murder on the roads...there have to be rules...and they have to be hard...no excuses...the thing that bothers me the most and frustrates the hell out of me is that there is no concerted effort or move to kurb ANYTHING...i dont see any action matching the pillage that happens on the "world's 3rd most dangerous"roads....seriously rethinking even buying a car...
constantine

Apr 03, 2006
constantine wrote: "world's 3rd most dangerous"roads....seriously rethinking even buying a car...

OMG.. and where are the first and second ?
Jupiter
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 03, 2006
Jupiter wrote:
constantine wrote: "world's 3rd most dangerous"roads....seriously rethinking even buying a car...

OMG.. and where are the first and second ?

mate for me in this case even third place is not acceptable...but this was a survey conducted by the UN...actually not even curious in this case to find out who the other 2 are...
constantine

Apr 03, 2006
i would guess India and Egypt

:? :?
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto