Accommodation Sharing/Location

Topic locked
Accommodation Sharing/Location May 06, 2006
Hi,

I am a New Zealand girl who is currently in the process of getting a job in Dubai and will be moving over in a couple of months (waiting on final offer to come through)

I get an allowance from my employer but I am curious to know whether the sharing is common in Dubai or if it is best to get an apartment on my own.

I will be working in DIC so I would like to get a place relatively close, however I will be getting a car when I arrive.

Any feedback would be great.
Cheers

Jodie
Dubai Forum Guest

May 06, 2006
First off welcome, second it is really common to see people sharing, Dubai is expensive and hey if you have roommates usually it is easier for you to build your own social circle, assuming you are coming here not knowing anyone.

Everybody has nuances, if you are already used to living with roommates you'll be fine here. Good luck in whatever you decide.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 06, 2006
Thanks for the reply...

Any advice on how to go about finding a nice place, they seem to be pretty rare as far as I can see... I've been doing loads of research and not coming up with much, I've been told to look at the meadows, springs etc but they all seem to be occupied!!

Cheers
Jodie
Dubai Forum Guest

May 06, 2006
Good luck with the move.

Meadows, Springs, Greens, Al Barsha, Um Suqiem. Those are all aread close to DIC. I personally live in the Greens and work in DIC, takes about 5 minutes drive to get there.

you can check out the classifieds section in www.gulfnews.com

also www.dubizzle.com has classifieds.

But to tell you the truth, looking in advance is not going to help much, since usually an apartment is put out for rent and rented out within days. So what you will have to day is to arrange with our work some sort of temporary accomodation for two weeks and then look for an apartment when you get here.

Hope that helped.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2006
Jodie wrote:Thanks for the reply...

Any advice on how to go about finding a nice place, they seem to be pretty rare as far as I can see... I've been doing loads of research and not coming up with much, I've been told to look at the meadows, springs etc but they all seem to be occupied!!

Cheers

Gidday Kiwi :mrgreen:!

Try Jumeirah and Umm Suquiem (Suqueim? Suqeim?). There's a few shared villas in those areas. Friend just moved in to one for 4000 dhs per month (including electricity/water). About NZD1600-1800.

Setup is much the same as sharing houses in NZ except it's common to have your own bathroom. Your own apartment will be expensive (NZD16,000 per year for studio near DIC) and you usually have to pay one year's rent in advance.

Like Maad said, you may consider finding something for a month from there and then look around once you get here. Supermarkets have noticeboards with villa-share ads which you won't see from there.

www.expatriates.com also has ads (but not so many because it's blocked from here).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

I want to share too May 14, 2006
Hi, I'll be moving to Dubai for 6 months starting from July. I dont' know if any one interested in sharing with me. mohd_w50@hotmail.com
mo50
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai