Working Visa Applications And Attestation

Topic locked
Working Visa Applications and Attestation Feb 11, 2009
Hi all,

The company who brought me into the country 1.5 months ago did so on a tourist VISA. This VISA expires on the 26th and I would have to leave the country for 30 days on that date because I am a South African national.

The company have told me that my work VISA application is in at the relevant department, but I am doing my own research and have seen that I will not get a VISA unless my degree has been attested back home and here in Dubai. I was never asked to do this and they simply have a copy of my Degree.

Is it likely that my working VISA or permit will get rejected on these grounds as there are only 2 weeks left!!!

Can anybody explain?

CapeHiggsy
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 11, 2009
Howzit,

Your original qualifications need to be attested at the Department of Education, then the Department of Foreign Affairs In Pretoria; then they have to have a final attestation done at the UAE consulate in Pretoria.

The process takes about a day, more than likely two if you have someone who can "walk" the papers through the process for you - as well as pay for the "same day" service at the UAE consulate. The attested papers have to be stamped at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dubai as well once they are returned to you.

In actual fact your attestation is required for issuing of labour approval and a Labour Card from the department of Labour. ONLY once labour approval has been given to you can they even consider applying for a residency permit - which they obviously haven't done.

Bare in mind you have been working illegally at this point, you cannot approach the labour department for help!

What you actually need to consider is do you want to continue working for this company? I would say that they have been keeping you on a string because of the current job market and will consider doing so until there is a clear indication that they can provide you with full-time employment. They have also not been very forthcoming with what paperwork you were to provide to enable you to work in the UAE.

The minimum attested qualification that you require as a SA citizen to work in the UAE is a secondary school diploma/ matric certificate – this is however dependant on the position that you are applying for.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Feb 11, 2009
:)

I see I actually gave you similar advice when you fist posted your problem. SERIOUSLY CONSIDER THE MOTIVE AND COMITMENT OF YOUR PROPOSED EMPLOYER!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Feb 11, 2009
I would like to know if its o.k to attest my certified copies of certificates.I am avoiding leaving my originals at the Department of Education, as they can get lost.
tichsig
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 11, 2009
the attestation is done on a copy (at the UAE consulate), the original is returned to you.

you have to submit the original documents though as proof - they will not attest a copied document.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Feb 12, 2009
So it boils down to the fact that without the attestation I will not get a working VISA? Just to be clear!
CapeHiggsy
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 12, 2009
CapeHiggsy wrote:So it boils down to the fact that without the attestation I will not get a working VISA? Just to be clear!

crystal!

Without attested documents you cannot be issued with a labour card.
Without a labour card/ labour approval you will not be able to get residency/ a residency visa.

The only way that your employer would remotely be able to circumvent this process is if he was the Minister of Labour (and I know for a fact that not even the Minister can or would by-pass the system), or if they imported you to work as a company driver, domestic servant or unskilled construction labourer!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Feb 12, 2009
Thanks, you really are a source of great knowledge and advice!
CapeHiggsy
Dubai Forum Guest

Working for 2 companies-illegal? Attesting diploma-where? Mar 10, 2009
Hi guys,

I have been offered a part time job with an European Company who is setting up their business in Dubai. As it is gonna be a part time job I also would like to find a full time at the same time. Am I allowed to work for 2 different companies?

Anoter question is about attesting a diploma: do I need to do it at my home country or I can do it from here as well? If so where in Dubai I can do it?

Thanks a lot for yor help.

D.
Dollicia
Dubai Forum User

Mar 11, 2009
hi there, it is illegal to work for two companies at the same time. you may only have a single labour card issued through a single sponsor.

working part-time is illegal as well unless the company provides full labour sponsorship.

certificates have to be attested in the country where they were earned/ awarded. they had an old system allowing for local attestation through Empost, this fell away early last year. Attestations have to be through the UAE consulate in the country where the diploma/ degree was awarded.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai