Some Questions On Salary And Housing

Topic locked
Some questions on salary and housing Oct 14, 2008
1. What purpose does it serve when the total compensation package is divided into basic salary, housing allowance and transportation allowance? I assume I can divide the total package the way I want to, regardless of the division the company made?

2. What is the best place to live when you work in Dubai Internet City and you earn about 12,000 AED per month? (Studio or 1 BR apt will do).

3. Is it advisable to live in Al Ain if you work in DIC? Does the rent difference weigh up to the travel distance?

Dutchess
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 14, 2008
4. What does it mean when you sign an offer letter for a probation period? Is it possible to renegotiate the conditions after this period and before signing an actual contract?
Dutchess
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Some questions on salary and housing Oct 14, 2008
Dutchess wrote:1. What purpose does it serve when the total compensation package is divided into basic salary, housing allowance and transportation allowance? I assume I can divide the total package the way I want to, regardless of the division the company made?

2. What is the best place to live when you work in Dubai Internet City and you earn about 12,000 AED per month? (Studio or 1 BR apt will do).

3. Is it advisable to live in Al Ain if you work in DIC? Does the rent difference weigh up to the travel distance?

Your whole salary 12k wil be needed to to get a good 1 bed in the Marina area .

other areas to DIC are Al Barsha and Jumeira but the latter wont get you a garbage bin for your salary.

to commute from Al Ain to DIC would be a nightmare
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 14, 2008
Thanks...I guess.

That's depressing.

What is Al Barsha like?
Dutchess
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Some questions on salary and housing Oct 15, 2008
Dutchess wrote:1. What purpose does it serve when the total compensation package is divided into basic salary, housing allowance and transportation allowance? I assume I can divide the total package the way I want to, regardless of the division the company made?

Because at the end of your contract your gratuity is based on your final basic salary portion (exclusive of benefits). I suppose once it’s paid over to you, you could divide it as you see fit.

I echo Arnie’s sentiments ...... like Bambi caught in the headlights ... not much

I wouldn’t live in Al Ain and commute each day, that’s a round trip of over 200km per day! And then factor in the higher probability of having a serious accident on that road ...... You’d have to pay me more than 12k per month just to do the trip!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 15, 2008
Well, that's even more depressing.

So the options are...?

Sharjah: also too much time on the road

International city: smelly

Did I forget anything?
Dutchess
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 15, 2008
try to get something that pays a little more... what are your options/ work are you looking for?
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 15, 2008
Running out of options.

But I found some ads for new studio's in Discovery Gardens, 70,000 p.a.

Sounds good to me but I might be missing something. Any advice on that?
Dutchess
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 15, 2008
Your next hurdle is to look at how you are going to be paying for that. Landlords want 3 or 4 post-dated-cheques, as well as a security deposit.

The norm is opening a bank account, getting a cheque book and issuing the cheques for the rental. The practicalities are that you need to have at least 3 months worth of salary behind you before the bank will simply give you a cheque book. Word of caution, don't ever bounce a cheque!

Look at options to share accommodation for the first few months until you have the bank and deposit sorted out, this will also give you time to develop a better idea of “the lie of the land” before you get your own place. Another quiet feasible option is to look at getting a 2 br place and sharing with someone.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Some questions on salary and housing Oct 28, 2008
Dutchess wrote:3. Is it advisable to live in Al Ain if you work in DIC?

I don't know about rents in Al Ain but I know I'd rather do the long drive and listen to audiobooks than live in Sharjah and sit in a traffic jam all the time. It might even be quicker from Al Ain. But like dxbsoul says, try a share option for a few months and figure it out once you settle in a bit.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai