Should I Go To The Court I Mat Be In Touble?

Topic locked
Should I go to the court I mat be in touble? Mar 08, 2009
My visa application was rejected once and then the PRO came to me and said I have paid 10000 AED under the table to get your approval you have to -pay me back. Head of HR and a principal of the company said you better go for it it worth having visa for 3 years but we are closing our eyes since it is illegal and it is something between you and the PRO. after working in the company without a visa for 5 month I got my visa and I paid the PRO 10000. I refused to pay cash and I gave him a cheque but since I didnt have cheque book my fiance issued the cheque.I kept a copy of the cheque. They laid me off after 1 month and I told them that they have to pay the money back but they refused. I have the copy of the cheque and I have 2 witness who are willing to come to the court. all the people working in HR witnessed that I paid the money but I am not sure if they are going to come and attest in court since they are working there. Do you think that I have enough evidence? I want my money back. 10000 just for having the visa for 1 month??? that's crazy! would I be in trouble for paying the money or only company is responsible for that?

warrior 66
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 09, 2009
First of all, I'm really sorry for your troubles. I feel for you, honestly. That being said, you do NOT want to go to court with this. I mean think about it. What is your case? You paid what was essentially a bribe so that you could get your visa papers. A month later, your company laid you off. Are you going to claim that you want the company to compensate you for your bribe? End of the day, you did something illegal. Whether it is unethical or not is debatable but it is definitely illegal. Go to court with this and you will be told to leave the country if not worse. There is no way a judge is going to ask your company to pay your bribe. In fact, there is no sensible and honest lawyer who would take the case. I'm sorry but you are going to have to leave it be. Try to look for another job using all methods available to you. I sincerely hope that this works out for you
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 09, 2009
agreed, sorry, but there is not much you can do about it :(

although i do see some merit to the calim. firstly the PRO would have to admit to having accepted money for processing of a visa application, which by law is illegal - the company would aslo be to blame as irrispective of whether it was "under the table" a visa/ labour card was still issued to you in the name of the company and you were "forced" to pay for it, again illegal under the law.

the PRO would have to implicate himself in bribary in order to say why he accepted the money. on the down side he can say you leant it or gave it as a gift to him, and you would have to prove otherwise.

all said and done, going to a criminal lawyer (to keep you out of the pooh), would set you back 1,000 - 1,200 AED per hour - if you did happen to get your money back it would be negligible once lawyers fees were deducted.

write it off as experience and move on .. sorry
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Mar 10, 2009
But I didnt know that I have paid this money to be paid under the table! ;)
my visa was rejected once and PRO came to me and said for submitting the new application w have to pay 10000 and the head of HR said you have to pick up the expenses your self and since this is the first time I am getting an employment visa in DXB I thought they are true! So I paid the money. and I have 2 witness working in our office that will come to the court and say that he had come to me and asked for his money too many times!! SO I DIDNT KNOW! if the company doesnt want to play it fair I will do the same! I will put all the blame on them and play the innocent, decieved girl role.
and I called MOL and told them the whole story and they said you are not to be blamed and company doesnt have anyyyy right to ask employee to pay any money for visa purpose!
warrior 66
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 10, 2009
dbxsoul wrote:agreed, sorry, but there is not much you can do about it :(

although i do see some merit to the calim. firstly the PRO would have to admit to having accepted money for processing of a visa application, which by law is illegal - the company would aslo be to blame as irrispective of whether it was "under the table" a visa/ labour card was still issued to you in the name of the company and you were "forced" to pay for it, again illegal under the law.

the PRO would have to implicate himself in bribary in order to say why he accepted the money. on the down side he can say you leant it or gave it as a gift to him, and you would have to prove otherwise.

all said and done, going to a criminal lawyer (to keep you out of the pooh), would set you back 1,000 - 1,200 AED per hour - if you did happen to get your money back it would be negligible once lawyers fees were deducted.

write it off as experience and move on .. sorry

Haven't said that, in case of Warrior66 win the law suit, shouldn't the losing party responble all the charges?
JojoHK
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 11, 2009
warrior 66 wrote:But I didnt know that I have paid this money to be paid under the table! ;)
my visa was rejected once and PRO came to me and said for submitting the new application w have to pay 10000 and the head of HR said you have to pick up the expenses your self and since this is the first time I am getting an employment visa in DXB I thought they are true! So I paid the money. and I have 2 witness working in our office that will come to the court and say that he had come to me and asked for his money too many times!! SO I DIDNT KNOW! if the company doesnt want to play it fair I will do the same! I will put all the blame on them and play the innocent, decieved girl role.
and I called MOL and told them the whole story and they said you are not to be blamed and company doesnt have anyyyy right to ask employee to pay any money for visa purpose!

Tell u what, at the end of the day we r just giving u amateur advice. What is your lawyer saying?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 12, 2009
dee7o wrote:
warrior 66 wrote:But I didnt know that I have paid this money to be paid under the table! ;)

Tell u what, at the end of the day we r just giving u amateur advice. What is your lawyer saying?

lawyer is saying give me another 10,000dhs under the table and i ll help you out :D

warrior66 where you from mate?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai