Need Help, Employer Holds My Passport

Topic locked
Need help, employer holds my passport Feb 01, 2011
im working in a freezone company for almost 1/2 years. and my passport was in my boss locker. my boss is always out of the country.

i already send resignation letter through email last month(which is legal and accepted by freezone law).and i have a job offer in another freezone company and they gave me atleast 1 month to join .

the problem was my boss will be staying in dubai for 3 days. he didnt accept my resignation and ask me to stay until march. i am afraid to confront him coz my family is under my visa and my wife and 2 kids are studying. and assuming that if he got mad he will cancel my visa and we will be out of UAE for 30 days instead of approving a transferable visa and if i will not comply with the other companys agreement then i will lose the job.

i really dont know what to do. please help.im running out of time and im not expecting this to happen.

iwi
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Need Help, Employer Holds My Passport Feb 01, 2011
It is illegal for anyone for anyone to hold your passport. File a report at the copshop that your passport is being held against your consent.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:It is illegal for anyone for anyone to hold your passport. File a report at the copshop that your passport is being held against your consent.

i have that on my mind, but im thinking about what he will do if he will get pissd off. he is good to me since from the start i work. he didnt delayed my salaries but of course we are here to work and go for higher salary and my boss cannot give what other company offered me. filing a case will take time like 2 days and i will lose the job, and my boss will be out of the country .. whew!!
iwi
Dubai Forum Visitor

If he is good to you he won't keep your passport.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

seems there are really no solutions and no options. then ill just do a sacrifice for the sake of my family. i learned that working in dubai is really a big risk for the family and no securities. well im not the only one experiencing this kind of situation, theres lot of problems out there worst than mine and still seeking for solutions until now. going to authorities will just cause financial problem. time consuming and living in dubai is expensive if you wont earn a dirham in a day. despite not enjoying already my job atleast i have my family and im ok for now.

as long you have work, make the best of it and when the problems come just go home. sad but true . but what can i do.
iwi
Dubai Forum Visitor

What are you mumbling on about mate stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on with it, you don't need a transfer. Your in a freezone, there is no ban. If your visa gets canceled big deal, you new employer can get you another one. There is no ban etc etc.
desertdudeshj

Don't give up! It is your obligation to know your rights - if you don't know, find the info!

Is this site any good? http://www.dubaifaqs.com/labour-law-uae.php

This one for Ministry of Labour - http://www.mol.gov.ae/ownersservices/lo ... x?lang=eng
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

He's in a FreeZone, ministry of labour does not apply to him.
desertdudeshj

Re: Need help, employer holds my passport Feb 07, 2011
the company where i will transfer will accept only a transferrable visa from freezone.
iwi
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai