ESL Teaching In Dubai

Topic locked
ESL Teaching in Dubai Dec 27, 2013
Hello everyone,
I'm sure this question has been posted before but perhaps there is some new information since the last one, hopefully this board won't mind helping a bit even if it's repetitive.

I've been interested in finding an ESL teaching job in Dubai for a few months now but have yet to find anything really concrete to go on. I'm curious if anyone knows of good websites to find such jobs. I've tried sites like ESLemployment and Dave's ESL Cafe but they haven't offered much, or in the case of Dave's, nothing at all. (Ideally I'd like to teach adults, but also have experience with children, and I don't have any teaching certificates (TOEFL, etc.) but I have a Masters Degree in Writing and a lot of experience in teaching, editing, writing, etc.) Alternatively, if there are English language newspapers, magazines, etc. which may be hiring, I'd love some information about that.

Also, generally speaking, because I have a family and friends that worry about me, how safe is Dubai for American expats? I just spent 16 months in South Korea and found that the people most afraid of the folks up north were thousands of miles and an ocean away. Are there certain precautions that should be taken?

Thanks for any information. As I said, I've tried finding information as best as possible on my own but have yet to establish any solid leads.

Have a good day.

Vincere248
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: ESL Teaching In Dubai Dec 27, 2013
Vincere248 , my perception is that most people in Dubai already speak English. Everywhere you go people speak English. So I doubt there is market for ESL teaching here. But I may be wrong.
zeama
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: ESL Teaching In Dubai Dec 27, 2013
zeama , that would be unfortunate for me. Good for them though :).
I know a few people who have worked as ESL teacher in Dubai. There may not be as many jobs as say China or Korea, but my understanding is that there is a market for it. Hopefully I can find where that market it.
Thanks for the reply just the same.
Vincere248
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai