Is Being An Asian A Problem Finding A Job In Dubai?

Topic locked
Is Being an Asian a Problem Finding a Job in Dubai? Nov 09, 2008
Hi, I'm a Chinese-origin woman looking for an executive job in Dubai but have stumbled upon a post here saying there's racism towards Asian there.

Is this true? Can anyone be more specific of what nationalities are being against to? What about Japanese, Taiwanese or Asia Pacific ???? I've been to Syria/Jordan before and my impression is that people are very nice to Asian people.

Nattia
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 14, 2008
Yes, you'll have problems. By executive, what do you mean??
temptationsu
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 16, 2008
So Nattia have u found any job in Dubai? im chinese too and i also have this doubt too...
mayachoy
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 17, 2008
Thks Temptationsu,

Officer --> Executive-->Manager-->Director/GM-->Vice President-->President

I already anticipate I would have a problem but could you please explain more? Do you mean 1) being an Asian (or Chinese??) is a problem and 2) being a woman will worsen that problem?

I now live in Thailand btw and many Thai people I know work in the hotel business in Dubai. (none in Senior position, though..)

Hi Mayachoy,

No. I just start thinking about it but some opinions here worry me. (But I would eventually give it a try anyway, I guess.)
Nattia
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 17, 2008
Nattia : Hmm...do u know how to start to find a job there?...i intend to go there to find job perhaps in hotel line like ur frens too. do u roughly know how much ur fren earn there and what are the benefit?
mayachoy
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Is Being an Asian a Problem Finding a Job in Dubai? Dec 24, 2008
Hi Nattia

It is not about racism against Asian at all. You have understand that, all those recruitment agencies whether in Dubai or in other Gulf counties are run by people who originally aren’t from the Gulf countries, they usually run by people are from Western countries, or other non-Gulf countries.

So am sorry dear if you are having a hard time getting a job - blame it on those intolerant bigots who are in control over jobs selection. I agree people must be judged according to their merits not to personal preference or favouritism.

Am an Arabic descent (Gulf countries), and personally, I think Asian people are the friendliest and hard working people I ever met, especially the Chinese and Japanese.

Peace/love
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 30, 2008
Arabs/Europeans/Americans have higher salary brackets than asian people...say more or less 50% higher
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Is Being an Asian a Problem Finding a Job in Dubai? Jan 02, 2009
Humbleman wrote:It is not about racism against Asian at all.

We can argue about that ...

Humbleman wrote:
... all those recruitment agencies whether in Dubai or in other Gulf counties are run by people who originally aren’t from the Gulf countries,
- blame it on those intolerant bigots who are in control over jobs selection.

They only provide a service. They do what employers want after all :lol: ...

This issue was killed in discussion. So to make it short; People in Dubai are paid according to how much they'd earn and spend at home...

And for Nattia: No, being an Asian wouldn't prevent you from having a job. There is a lot of Asians here, men and women. Given and bound to the fact mentioned above...
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai