Again A Salary/package Question, Sorry

Topic locked
Again a salary/package question, sorry Jan 05, 2009
I`ve got a joboffer in Dubai as a manufacturing director/ product manager in a aluminium company. I was told that i´ll be the 2nd after the owner. Now i will travel soon for a interview and wanted to know for what can i request? I´ve more than 20 years expirience in manufacturing.

BTW, can somebody tell me the costs of cigarettes? :shock:

Thanks

TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2009
None of my business, but I take it the offer is definitely not from DUBAL is it? If it is then u r sorted for your stay here and have planted an ATM machine in ur house surely. I'm not privy on remuneration in the aluminum industry however given u r an old geezer and your experience is 5 years short of my actual age i.e. 25, I reckon your remuneration should be in the upmost echelons.

Thus it should cover the following: Salary (half a million dirhams > per annum) + Car (white on white 7 series bossman’ style) + Villa

Once again you need to account the company u r going to be working for. If it’s going to be some Indian resellers of aluminum then demote the salary, downsize the car and think of bur dubai as paradise (eww…)

Ciggies were 6 dirhams if I recall right, for a 20 pack when I left mid-last year… big smoking culture and Dubai Municipality had only tightened smoking in public places such as malls and buildings in early 2008.

P.S
Do you start your CV off as “Plato of the Aluminium industry with more than 20 years experience in manufacturing”

:lol:
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 05, 2009
I´m not joking about the offer, it comes from a wealthy familyowned buisnessgroup in Dubai which build the first shopping mall there. They are into a lot of buisnesses like: (copied from Wikipedia)

Manufacturing, Investments, Banking, Insurance, Shipping, Electro-mechanical, Power, Retail, Trading, Fast Moving Consumer Goods & Industries, Construction, Cement, Aluminum & Marble, Real Estate, Shopping Mall, Packaging and labelling, Education, Wireless, Telecommunication
Employees ~25,000 (Approximately on or before Jan 2006)

BTW, i´m 46 years
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2009
The problem is that without knowing anything about the particular business that you are to head up it is impossible to give you much help in this regard. As you say the company is a large concern, but that doesn't mean that all their business dealings are. The company in question runs each business as a separate entity, and although they are part of a large group you cannot expect to have the same perks or salary expectations as all of the other managers.

The fair way of doing it is that the company offering you the job makes you the offer of a salary or "package" - don't let them get away with the usual response "you tell us what you want"; most companies do this and it is wholly unfair as most people who have never worked in Dubai before would have no idea as to the costs involved...

Get them to make an offer on paper, bring the offer to the forum and we can evaluate the offer in context of the position and responsibilities of the job. If it is an existing position that you are filling they will have a guideline already in place as to the salary structure.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 05, 2009
That´s the problem, i have to negogate face to face, cos the job is arranged by a headhuntercompany here in Germany.

My responibilities will be to manage and plan the production, responsible for the staff and so on.

You are right, the company is a group with branches, each owned by a other family member. I dont want to publish the name here, but i´ll send you a pm.

I thought i´ll request for a package like 45.000/month with free house and car????
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 05, 2009
TheChoosen wrote:I dont want to publish the name here, but i´ll send you a pm.

You already gave it away by posting the wikipedia entry and the bit about the shopping center. You should edit that post if you want to keep it quiet.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 06, 2009
TheChoosen wrote:That´s the problem, i have to negogate face to face, cos the job is arranged by a headhuntercompany here in Germany.

My responibilities will be to manage and plan the production, responsible for the staff and so on.

You are right, the company is a group with branches, each owned by a other family member. I dont want to publish the name here, but i´ll send you a pm.

I thought i´ll request for a package like 45.000/month with free house and car????

are you askin for 45K a month, plus housing and transpo afterwards? the easiest way to find out about salaries is to add a % to what you're currently earning in your home country. people seem to think they can come out to dubai and earn 2x-4x what they are earning in their home countries, and those days are over. with it being tax free and if they offer housing and transpo, your same salary currently would be 2x what you earn if you did a lateral move to dubai.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 06, 2009
"45K a month, plus housing plus transpo " seems to be ok for 2nd in command..not great though..i've seen ppl making much more than tht at lower levels.. tht too who moved here recently..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 06, 2009
ahhhh! :)

but you have to qualify your comment! was it 2nd in command of:

the national treasury?
a bank?
a 7 eleven store?
a car wash???
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 06, 2009
manufacturing director/ product manager in a aluminium company!!

don't ask me if its a smelter or Al scrap dealer :roll:
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 06, 2009
TheChoosen wrote:I´m not joking about the offer, it comes from a wealthy familyowned buisnessgroup in Dubai which build the first shopping mall there.

Well then i think you are talking about al Ghurair then.. :P Best of luck!!
waelsalem
Dubai Forum User

Jan 06, 2009
Right
TheChoosen
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 12, 2009
please check your inbox, i sent you a pm
global_headhunter
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai