Muscat

Topic locked
Muscat Jan 04, 2007
How do I get to Muscat from Dubai? What roads, etc.

There is some festival going on there now so planning on heading there tomorrow a.m. Haven't got a clue how to get there. Will be driving just for the punishment of it (5 hours I hear).

Suggestions on where to stay?

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 04, 2007
Take the road to Hatta. At the roundabout of the Hatta Fort Hotel, go straight and make sure you stop at the potra-cabins to exit UAE, then you will have to stop at the porta-cabins for car insurance (if you are not already covered) and then drive until you get to the Oman border point. Do all the usal mundane paperwork and then hop in your car and start driving.

fairly well signposted from there.

Its a heck of a boring drive, believe you me.

Where to stay? There are a number of hotels, best best is to just Google for hotels in Muscat and then either book on line or start calling.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 04, 2007
Thanks Yorky,

Car insurance??? :shock: :shock:

What's that about?

I imagine it means coverage in that country. What if I am not already covered? Can I just buy a "policy" there?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 04, 2007
Neverming :shock: :shock: and thanks.

Just called the car rental company and they won't allow their cars to be driven in another country. Unless with special exemption (which they could arrange for me) but would take 2 to 3 days to do :shock: :shock:

So srew it, I booked fliths and saved 12 hours of boring travel (specially when they would have turned me around at the Omani border) and lots of grief :oops:

Thanks again Yorky, good thing I asked :oops:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around