Amsterdam

Topic locked
Amsterdam Oct 25, 2006
My cousin suggested to me that I make my layover in Holland when flying to the states. So any suggestions on must-see places or things I must do in Amsterdam? I'll be staying there for about 1-3 days...

bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 25, 2006
since no one is able to answer u girl

i suggest u take the emirates direct flight to the states
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 25, 2006
i dont want a direct flight...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 25, 2006
Amsterdam is great. Lots to do. Something like 30+ museums(Van Goh, etc. al.) many bars, restaurants, etc. Walk everywhere. Take cruises of the canals, etc.

Lots of hippies or "wannabe" hippies. Marijuana/hash, etc. legal to purchase.

Can't remember any specific place to recomend (having nothing to do with the above sentence). It was a while I went there. It is definetily worth a trip.

Everyone speaks english there (most dutch used to learn german but since an incident 60+ years ago they now prefer to learn english as a second language).

Don't forget to give us a report upon your return.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 26, 2006
I went a couple of years ago. My recommendations:

> The best of the museums is Rijksmuseum down by Museumplein. The sex museum is interesting, but not great.
> Anne Frank House is a must. Moving and sobering after the gaudiness of the rest of the city.
> Oude Kerk is pretty impressive, as big old churches go.
iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 26, 2006
iapetus11 wrote:> The best of the museums is Rijksmuseum down by Museumplein. The fun museum is interesting, but not great.

Gah. You know what I meant.

Funilly enough, the 'fun' museum isn't all that fun.
iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 26, 2006
yeah, pretty much what my cousin had told me. he made it a very strong point that i walk through the RL district though...so since you did as well i guess i should.

how much money should i expect to take with me? and how should i go about carrying it because my cousin told me there were a lot of pick pockets around. so i guess tha tmeans no sparkly jewelry either right?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 26, 2006
bushra21 wrote:yeah, pretty much what my cousin had told me. he made it a very strong point that i walk through the RL district though...so since you did as well i guess i should.

how much money should i expect to take with me? and how should i go about carrying it because my cousin told me there were a lot of pick pockets around. so i guess tha tmeans no sparkly jewelry either right?

Take credit card(s) and ATM card - no need to be carrying around cash anywhere in the world for that matter. Keep the cards in a safe place (no different than anyplace else really).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 26, 2006
i dont own any credit cards, and i dont have an atm card...well i have one, but i have no money in that bank account since i withdrew all my money when i left the states...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 26, 2006
bushra21 wrote:i dont own any credit cards, and i dont have an atm card...well i have one, but i have no money in that bank account since i withdrew all my money when i left the states...

I don't think I know anyone who owns or uses a computer who does not have a credit card and/or ATM. You could have kept your US ATM and done e-banking to transfer the funds to a bank in the UAE once you are able to. That way there would be no need to keep all that cash under the mattress/underwear drawer/freezer, etc.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 26, 2006
well i guess i could apply for a credit card ... my money is in my brothers account for the time being...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 26, 2006
bushra21 wrote:well i guess i could apply for a credit card ... my money is in my brothers account for the time being...

Easy then. Take his ATM card :wink:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 26, 2006
bushra21 wrote:how much money should i expect to take with me? and how should i go about carrying it because my cousin told me there were a lot of pick pockets around. so i guess tha tmeans no sparkly jewelry either right?

Money's totally subjective. 1 day or 3 days? Eating in expensive restaurant every night or grabbing a kebab on Damrak? Ams was not that much more expensive than London iirc.

I'll agree with the card thing, though, very convenient.

As far as pick pockets go, just take the same amount of care you would in any large city; Don't leave anything lying around, don't flash your mobile around, don't wave any money about, etc, etc.
iapetus11
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 28, 2006
see...i used to live in a'dam... so tell me what u wanna know..or what u like to do over there..and i'll let u know
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 28, 2006
Legendkiller wrote:see...i used to live in a'dam... so tell me what u wanna know..or what u like to do over there..and i'll let u know

well, i actually would like to know some of your recommendations if you wouldnt mind.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Amsterdam Oct 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote: I'll be staying there for about 1-3 days...

if u have little time to get to know a'dam... a guided tour is just what u need... u can do this by bus..but the canal cruise is more fun..

Zeedijk in a'dam is worth a visit..it's kinda like Chinatown..

at november 4th...there is ''Museum Night Amsterdam''..this means dancing.. in a museum at night or participating in exclusive guided tours (dancing in a museum hmmm.. :roll: )

a'dam is full with clubs...some clubs u can visit are:
chemistry---> it's something different
jimmy Woo--> hot new club...where ancient Hong-Kong Kong mixes with modern design
magazijn-----> easy going unpretentious club...without door policy.
Club 7even--> the place 2 be..can get really crowded!

in November u can see ‘’Sinterklaas’’...the whole country is going 2 be celebrating this...it's the traditional Dutch Christmas(the standard-issue Christmas is also celebrated on the 25th. )

getting around the town/country is easy...public transportation is well organized...a'dam has a tram network...which will pretty much get you anywhere

there also other places outside a'dam which u can visit..there is a group of working windmills you can visit along the river at the Zaanse Schans... as well as museums and a cheese factory you can visit (this is 15 km from a'dam)

See...personally i would visit the next 2 places...

Six flags holland...it's the roller coaster capital of Europe..
it's a theme park..with amazing roller coasters! (around 1hr drive from a'dam..depends on traffic..)

and my favourite..Apenheul...it's a zoo that specializes in just one type of animal...monkeys!!
the monkeys can roam freely in the woods..and walk around among visitors..unfortanelty the gorillas live on and island in the middle of the park..and don't walk among the visitors :cry:
nevertheless u r still going 2 feel like tarzan in Apenheul...or in ur case Jane.... AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhh-o-ahhhhhhhh-o-ahhhhhhhhhh

Oh yeah...watch ur money/stuff over there...there r many pickpockets...
they got the most creative way's to get ur money...so keep ur eyes open..
and try avoid talking with ur mobile on the streets...or it might be gone :twisted:

if u going 2 visit Apenheul..can u may-b yell AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhh-o-ahhhhhhhh-o-ahhhhhhhhhh for me :lol:
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 29, 2006
thanks! but did i say i was going in november? hmmm, if i did, i mean to say in january...im making a stop there on my way to the states...

i know this is going to sound stupid...but im sure you know of the movie 'hostel'...please tell me there is nothing like that there.....tell me that its just a movie and that doesnt really happen. :oops:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 29, 2006
don't go out at night :twisted:
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 29, 2006
Legendkiller wrote:don't go out at night :twisted:

omg! really? or are you just joking...because i was planning on spending my nights mainly out...i.e. clubs, clubs, bars, places, clubs, bars, clubs....

shoot
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 29, 2006
lol...like any other city...avoid going alone at night...best 2 go with couple of friends...and 110% avoid red light district at night :lol:
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 29, 2006
lol, so when should i go there...my cousin had stressed that if i see any place, i should check that place out
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 29, 2006
would say..in afternoon around 4...cause it's then more crowded..and no one will notice ya... and the guy's walking around there won't be thinking what is this girl doing here...
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 29, 2006
ok...good point, i was thinking of when would be the best...4 pm, got ya..

now about how much money should i plan on spending...

i want to go to at least one high-class restaraunt...and do shopping and what not. is it expensive? how much does drinks usually run a person...and the clubs...do they have high entrance fees?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 29, 2006
the s.e.x. museum was really funny....its not about horny old men spanking their meat.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 31, 2006
bushra21 wrote:ok...good point, i was thinking of when would be the best...4 pm, got ya..

now about how much money should i plan on spending...

i want to go to at least one high-class restaraunt...and do shopping and what not. is it expensive? how much does drinks usually run a person...and the clubs...do they have high entrance fees?

Money...depends on u i would say...u can make it as expensive as u like...
drinks/clubs are less expensive than in dubai
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 04, 2006
you can also watch live s.e.x shows where a couple have sex in a theatre while people are watching .. very weird experience haha

don't miss on checking out the red light district .. there is a huge statue of a banana so you wont miss it :lol:
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 04, 2006
nooty boy....u know abt peep show ha :laughing6:
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around