Pyramdis

Topic locked
Pyramdis Sep 03, 2006
I am interested in going to see the Pyramids in Egypt.

Anyone been there, recommendations, what else to do on a week trip to Egypt?

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
Cairo is dirty and gross lol .. i am not fan at all. but if you go i recommend the marriott

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/caieg

Alexandria is much nicer .. and people visit Luxor usually (havent been there though).
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
Cairo is nice, i know is dirty, noisy etc but i love it. i love even the madness. The Marriott is lovely but i stayed in the Sheraton and was amazing. One week in Cairo is very short because there is a lot to see. I will put list for you to go and see. My advice is avoid tourist companies, there are rip off and they will squeeze each penny of you. The best thing to do is to hire a car with a driver and get your program and go alone and if you need a tour guide you can get one at the door after agreeing how much you will pay before hand, avoid any suggestions from drivers, because they all work on commissions. Things to see in Cairo:

1. Pyramid. That will take you at least half a day but it is well worth it it cost £4.0 or 40 Egyptian pound (L.E)
2. The Egyptian museum- it has all animals and royal mummies. It will take about 2-3hrs. cost 40L.E and there is discount for students or Arabs and the royal mummies about 70L.E
3. Nile cruise. That is dinner cruise in the evening include entertainment like belly dancing and other Egyptian dancing. Price vary from 150-250L.E
4. khan el kalili. Egyptian market. It is amazing place especially at night. You can get all your souvenirs and gifts. It has a lot of café for fresh juices, shisha etc.
5. Old Cairo. It has the first mosque built in cairo and all churches which are beautiful.

if i remember more i will post here.

enjoy it!
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 04, 2006
^ What she said basically. The Museum of Cairo is definitely something you shouldn't miss. Nile cruise is nice too... You could also go to Abou Simbel which is quite far from Cairo but IMO well worth the drive...

Sharm el Sheikh is a pretty touristic place so you could check it out too but only if you're interested in going to the beach, shopping...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 04, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Cairo is dirty and gross lol .. i am not fan at all. but if you go i recommend the marriott

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/caieg

I'll second the Marriott Zamalek that is where I always stay, love the courtyard area the first time i saw the pyramids I was a bit disappointed but highly encourage all to go to the Museum.

Enjoy your trip(s),
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 04, 2006
I stayed in the Hilton Cairo, which I think is the or at least one of the oldest hotels in Cairo. It's not as modern as some of the others but really gives you a great feel for the place, plus it's only a short walk away from the Egyptian Museum. I was there on busienss and didn't really know what to expect or look for. I didn't expect to see Tutankamun in the museum but was a very welcome surprise.

One other tip is that they only allow 150 people a day into the Great Pyramid, so if you want to experience that you need to get up early!! Obviously I missed that opportunity! :)
G
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 04, 2006
Oh another thing to add, if you go check out the pyramids, try and see the different types, go off the beaten path a bit and check out the Pyramids of Sakara, I like these they remind of the Mayan ones a bit.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 04, 2006
I wonder why the Pyramids, Petra and all those ancient sites always smell like piss !!!!!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
all i gotta say is Concs is that it blows your mind to actually see them and think "how the F%ck did they do it"

pm Waf Concs, he lived in cairo.

I stayed at the Hilton in Cairo and one in Giza that i cant rem, but all the rooms have a view of the pyramids.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 23, 2009
I was in Egypt twice. The first time round I chose a touring bus to Cairo [touring the entire city, also a Saqqara, Giza etc] then by train - 900 km to Aswan, Abu Simbel, Edfu, then voyage by ship on Nile to Luxor and from this city to Hurghada for the consecutive week. Unforgettable tour. Awesome places, smiling and helpful people. Very superlatives. Zero defects in my opinion. Trip in 100 % unforgettable :)
Parisienne
Dubai Forum User

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around