How Much Is Enough?

Topic locked
How much is enough? Jun 15, 2006
Hi All,

i currently live in the UK and have been offered a contract to work in Dubai for a few months.

I have visited before but since then property rental prices etc seem to have shot up.

Currently I am being offered 400 uk pounds a day, i think about 2400 dirhams a day?

Is this enough for dubai?

Ideally I would llike ot rent a 1 bed apartment, swimming pool and good facilities etc.

Also a bit of a clubber and like going out, so say out 3 nights a week with plenty of drink etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Nish

Nishant_London
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 15, 2006
2400 dhms a day thats 48,000 dhs a month (assuming 20 working day month). a Furnished 1 bedrom with pool and gym will set you back around 8,000 dirhams a month. You wont spend more than 5,000 dirhams a month on going out ..

I think you got yourself a good deal.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 15, 2006
you will be just fine, well more than fine actually buddy
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: How much is enough? Jun 15, 2006
Nishant_London wrote:Hi All,

Currently I am being offered 400 uk pounds a day, i think about 2400 dirhams a day?

Nish

Are u going to sweetheart of any Sheikh? :) .

I heard Russian consultant girls can earn more money :0)
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jun 15, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys.

This contract seems more tempting now. I was hesitant at first after looking at a few sites and seeing rental at 2-3k plus!

I basically just don't like renting property, it is a huge waste of money, perhaps if i decide to stay longer I can look into purchasing something small.

Maybe see you all in a few weeks!
Nishant_London
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 15, 2006
good luck
arniegang

Re: How much is enough? Jun 15, 2006
HP wrote:

Are u going to sweetheart of any Sheikh? :) .

I heard Russian consultant girls can earn more money :0)

im nobodies sweetheart, especially being a bloke :twisted:

And I'm sure the russian consultant girls can earn that much in an hour!
Nishant_London
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 15, 2006
Nishant_London wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

This contract seems more tempting now. I was hesitant at first after looking at a few sites and seeing rental at 2-3k plus!

I basically just don't like renting property, it is a huge waste of money, perhaps if i decide to stay longer I can look into purchasing something small.

Maybe see you all in a few weeks!

Good luck Nishant, hear from you soon no doubt
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 16, 2006
Good Luck with whatever you decide. BTW just out of curiousity, what industry is this ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 16, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Good Luck with whatever you decide. BTW just out of curiousity, what industry is this ?

I am in IT. To be precise I am a performance engineer, companies basically bring me in to make their systems quicker and check they can handle certain loads from users.

I stumbled into it after leaving university 2 years ago, seems to be a hot field at the moment, especially for contractors.
Nishant_London
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 16, 2006
Nishant_London wrote:
MaaaD wrote:Good Luck with whatever you decide. BTW just out of curiousity, what industry is this ?

I am in IT. To be precise I am a performance engineer, companies basically bring me in to make their systems quicker and check they can handle certain loads from users.

I stumbled into it after leaving university 2 years ago, seems to be a hot field at the moment, especially for contractors.

very kewl, good luck and enjoy your time in Dubai.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jun 16, 2006
looks like a great deal....and there are nice clubs here to go out to...welcome...
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 16, 2006
Be sure to report back on whether you take the job, move over etc - always helpful for other people in similar situations to hear the good and bad things about a move to Dubai.

Good Luck!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 16, 2006
Thanks for all the welcomes guys!

I visited Dubai last year and had a good time so thought i'd see whats on offer job wise.

Only club I remember the name of last time was Tangerines, nice place. Compared to Uk prices drinks were pretty cheap too!

Though I do remember the hassle getting into most places. I see from some of the other threads this is still the case :cry:
Nishant_London
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 16, 2006
£400 a day, works out to be around £8000 a month. That is very high for someone who has just finished uni 2 years ago. Well done!!
onetickin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 16, 2006
onetickin wrote:£400 a day, works out to be around £8000 a month. That is very high for someone who has just finished uni 2 years ago. Well done!!

Thanks mate.

Don't get me wrong, i know its alot of cash, just wasn't sure how it stands in dubai terms.

I've takena fair few risks, especially jumping into contracting so early in my career - but touch wood its paying off at the moment! :)
Nishant_London
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 16, 2006
onetickin wrote:£400 a day, works out to be around £8000 a month. That is very high for someone who has just finished uni 2 years ago. Well done!!

pocket change

8) 8) 8)
arniegang

Jun 16, 2006
Good luck. You may want to think about investing on some PSP's.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 16, 2006
arniegang wrote:

pocket change

8) 8) 8)

how much were you making two years out of college arnie ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 16, 2006
Nowhere near as much as that Maaad, but i also know Brokers and Investment guys who were earning double that in the Eighties , then Black Monday came, sadly some of them still have nothing today and rely on state benefits.

I always take the long term view Maaad, money in the short term really doesnt last very long. Short term gains do nothing but give false illusions.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
arniegang

Jun 18, 2006
so how many months is ur contract?

i'm in IT too, but permanent salary sux.......but then again..having to worry about getting the next gig after a couple of months here and there gives me the jitters too...unless of course u get the company to sign u up on a yearly basis....now thats GOOD money :lol: :lol: :D :shock:
dodgeek
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum