Skirts/Dresses Or Trousers?

Topic locked
Re: Skirts/Dresses or Trousers? Jul 11, 2011
Dillon wrote:Did you ever find any Marmite in Iran?

Not really, didn't have time to go to Bazar. But I guess they are available in Dubai, right? I can try to find it there. :)

melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Skirts/Dresses Or Trousers? Jul 12, 2011
are we going back to talk about skirts and dresses or what???
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general_A wrote:are we going back to talk about skirts and dresses or what???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

-- Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:23 am --

Well we have gone from skirts or trousers through some nutter demonstrating on the streets of London, to diabetes and amputated toes and limbs, touched on Aids and Marmite and now back to skirts if the general gets his way!
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Skirts/Dresses or Trousers? Jul 12, 2011
melika969 wrote:

Not really, didn't have time to go to Bazar. But I guess they are available in Dubai, right? I can try to find it there. :)

Well you can get it at most of the big name supermarkets in Dubai Mel and you could wear skirts, a dress or a trouser suit if you go directly from work to do your shopping, whichever is your preference?

:lol: :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Shopping for Marmite Dillon?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Not personally Drew, I have stocks, I’m just helping Mel find some as she has never sampled the delicacy!

:lol:
Dillon

Dillon wrote:Not personally Drew, I have stocks, I’m just helping Mel find some as she has never sampled the delicacy!

Delicacy?? :shock: You call some dark brown caca in a jar that you slap on a piece of bread a delicacy??? It comes off the shelf in a supermarket!!! or would that be a deli?? or Dehli????
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
Delicacy?? :shock: You call some dark brown caca in a jar that you slap on a piece of bread a delicacy??? It comes off the shelf in a supermarket!!! or would that be a deli?? or Dehli????

Yes, Delicacy, with a capital ‘D’ :x how can you possibly, sit there and disparage the unique, loved (and hated) Marmite? WHEN, by your own admission, YOU HAVEN’T EVEN TASTED IT YOURSELF!?!?!

And if they can pile on the best Beluga Caviar (available at Waitrose and Spinneys by the way :o ) on PANCAKES and CRACKERS! :shock: a scraping of the delicious vitamin rich, low calorie, low sugar institution, known as Marmite marries with hot buttered wholemeal toast like strawberries and cream, jelly and custard, beef drippings and Bovril, bacon and eggs, pork pies and Hammonds Chop Sauce, tea and biscuits, ooh I need to stop…

MAN UP Bora Bora, buy a bottle and take the plunge, a dippy egg with Marmite Soldiers are to die for.

Dillon

Dillon wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Yes, Delicacy, with a capital ‘D’ :x how can you possibly, sit there and disparage the unique, loved (and hated) Marmite? WHEN, by your own admission, YOU HAVEN’T EVEN TASTED IT YOURSELF!?!?!

And if they can pile on the best Beluga Caviar (available at Waitrose and Spinneys by the way :o ) on PANCAKES and CRACKERS! :shock: a scraping of the delicious vitamin rich, low calorie, low sugar institution, known as Marmite marries with hot buttered wholemeal toast like strawberries and cream, jelly and custard, beef drippings and Bovril, bacon and eggs, pork pies and Hammonds Chop Sauce, tea and biscuits, ooh I need to stop…

MAN UP Bora Bora, buy a bottle and take the plunge, a dippy egg with Marmite Soldiers are to die for.

How can you compare the price of caviar to Marmite??? :shock: I love my caviar - an acquired taste!!! and it must be Iranian!!! I'll wait for BM to return to Dubai and let her show me how to do Marmite. :lol: but no drippy egg!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Now we're talking food ;)
symmetric
BANNED

Dillon wrote:
melika969 wrote:

Well you can get it at most of the big name supermarkets in Dubai Mel and you could wear skirts, a dress or a trouser suit if you go directly from work to do your shopping, whichever is your preference?

very good! I will try to find marmite.

My prefrence, well I like them all and it depends on the occasion. But as I dont get to wear skirts and dresses in Iran, except for in house parties. I am greedy to wear those when i am outside Iran! hehe
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Skirts/Dresses or Trousers? Jul 13, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:How can you compare the price of caviar to Marmite??? :shock: I love my caviar - an acquired taste!!! and it must be Iranian!!! I'll wait for BM to return to Dubai and let her show me how to do Marmite. :lol: but no drippy egg!!!!

Oh no! Fish eggs, I just nearly bought my chardonnay back, err. Yes I'll show your how to do Marmite Bora, they even do it in easy squeezy jars, American style.
I'm afraid I don't do dippy eggs either. The only time I really like eggs is in potato salad, a recipe given to my mother by some American forces family hundreds of years ago, Potatoes, eggs and raw onions mixed with Heinz salad cream. It's a must at Casa BM's BBQs. Delicious!!!

-- Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:31 am --

And you can eat it wearing a skirt or trousers!
Bethsmum

Re: Skirts/Dresses Or Trousers? Jul 13, 2011
Thanks for confirming that delicacies DO NOT come in squeezy tubes!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Thanks for confirming that delicacies DO NOT come in squeezy tubes!!!!

Delicacy: [count noun] a choice or expensive food.
Choice: [adjective] (especially of food) of very good quality.

I rest my case m’lud, Marmite is officially a delicacy, whether it comes in squeezy tubes or not.

Ooh look, caviar (fish eggs) :pukeleft: in squeezy tubes! :shock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/candleshoe/2819083771/

Note; While shopping for your fish egg paste, in your favourite supermarkets it is advisable to wear trousers rather than skirts or dresses, as it can be quite cold in the refrigerated sections!

Dillon

Marmite comes in squeezy jars Bora, not tubes!

Upside down ones :drunken: Especially for the Australian market. :D

marmite.jpg
marmite.jpg (3.36 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Bethsmum

Dillon wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Thanks for confirming that delicacies DO NOT come in squeezy tubes!!!!

Delicacy: [count noun] a choice or expensive food.
Choice: [adjective] (especially of food) of very good quality.

I rest my case m’lud, Marmite is officially a delicacy, whether it comes in squeezy tubes or not.

Ooh look, caviar (fish eggs) :pukeleft: in squeezy tubes! :shock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/candleshoe/2819083771/

Note; While shopping for your fish egg paste, in your favourite supermarkets it is advisable to wear trousers rather than skirts or dresses, as it can be quite cold in the refrigerated sections!

@BM, how much difference between squeezy jar from a squeezy tube?? Except one is large and plastic, the other long and usually something tinny.

Nit picking Dillon!!! Delicacy/Delicacies. OK. Correction. If Marmite is a DELICACY, highly unlikely it would come in a squeezy tube and cost, what? AED 9??? That would be equivalent to garlic paste, chili paste, tomatoe paste coming in a tube. :lol: :lol:

I never saw caviar in a squeezy tube :shock: and would never consider making a purchase. I guess it's for people who just don't know better or want to appear to be something their not when having guests. :lol: Is this something you find on the shelf at Waitrose or Spinneys? :lol:

I like my caviar (preferably Russian Beluga - the absolute best!!!) in a tin, straight from Iran.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

MARMITEAPHOBE!

Dillon

Dillon wrote:MARMITEAPHOBE!

So being Mamiteaphobic is not so good Dillon?
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

spellcheckergirl wrote:So being Mamiteaphobic is not so good Dillon?

Mamite ???
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
spellcheckergirl wrote:So being Mamiteaphobic is not so good Dillon?

Mamite ???

HAHAHA :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Afffaaaarrriiiin sad aaaffaarriiiin hezar o si sad afariiiin, DDS jaaan - -
An expression I learnt from my cousin which can be summed in one word "Bravo" Lol !!! :D
symmetric
BANNED

I understand some Farsi, first Urdu is one language derived from it so lot of similar words like afreen, dahst etc etc and also hanging around with Iranians friends I use to have, but they mostly spoke feshwari ( ? ) but still.
desertdudeshj

Feshvari (Peshvari) is an old dialect from Fars prvoince (Shiraz), its dying like all other dialects in Iran, its being replaced by the modern spoken Farsi. I enjoy the similarities between languages, its interesting how words being transfered from one language to another, going through some few changes to appear in another form.

I hardly understand the dialects of Urdu, except if someone spoke the formal version, then surely I can catch words :D
symmetric
BANNED

Languages like Swahili and Urdu are new languages and basically a mixed bag of other languages like Farsi, Arabic and even English. In think Urdu is written in farsi text. AFAIK if you can read Farsi then you can read Urdu and vice versa. And Urdu and Farsi readers can read Arabic but not vice versa.
desertdudeshj

Re: Skirts/Dresses or Trousers? Jul 14, 2011
I can speak fluent Geordie but I don't converse in it on DF as I'm not sure there is anyone who might understand me.

What's a Geordie you may be asking yourself, in essence its them canny fowk from the North East of England sometimes wrongly but not surprisingly mistaken for Scots or Irish.
One opinion is that the name was born in the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745, when the Jacobites bypassed Newcastle, which, as well as favouring the Hanoverian King George, was also a well-guarded garrison. The Jacobites then said that Newcastle and the surrounding areas were all "for George". Hence the name Geordies.

Another probable school of thought thinks the name originated from the coal mines of Durham and Northumberland, for many poems and songs written about and in the dialect of these two counties speak of the "Geordie". The Oxford English Dictionary states that the word has two meanings: a guinea (which had the figure of St. George on it) and a pitman. Whilst the name was applicable to coal-miners it later became applicable to Tynesiders in general.

The third possible origin is from George Stephenson, who in 1815 invented the miners' lamp. The Northumberland miners used this lamp in preference to that invented by Sir Humphrey Davy at the same time, and the lamp, and eventually, the miners themselves became known as Geordies.

The last possible explanation also derives from George Stephenson. In 1826, he gave evidence to a Parliamentary Commission on Railways at which his blunt speech and dialect drew contemptuous sneers. From that date, it is said that Londoners began to call the Keelmen who carried coal from the Tyne to the Thames "Geordie".

Who is permitted to call himself a Geordie? Again there are various viewpoints. Originally, it would appear that the name applied only to miners (origin 2 and 3), Keelmen (origin 4) or inhabitants of Newcastle (origin 1). Later it became applied to members of the Tyneside Community at large. Nowadays, it would seem that anyone in Northumberland, Co. Durham or Tyne and Wear can call themselves "Geordie".
Bethsmum

When the boat comes in, I worked with a Geordie who invariably used to burst into song after a few beers, he never finished the song though, hinny (and always wore trousers)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkMQJeiK50

Dillon

I'm partial to the Blaydon Races after a couple of bottles of Broon Dog :D

Bethsmum

BM, this sounds nasty, but last visit to The Toon I had a Broooooon Ice.

Menu

One bottle of Smirnoff Ice in a pint glass.

Fill to top with Newcastle Broon.

Sounds like sh!te but what a refreshing drink with effect.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Skirts/Dresses Or Trousers? Nov 19, 2011
I am an arab Canadian, and i really know what you mean, I have been all around the world, and i have noticed that only in Canada, it feels like girls dont know how to dress up, they dont have a style..

I prefer wearing dresses and elegant clothes :)
MarN21
Dubai Forums Member

MarN21 wrote:I am an arab Canadian, and i really know what you mean, I have been all around the world, and i have noticed that only in Canada, it feels like girls dont know how to dress up, they dont have a style..

I prefer wearing dresses and elegant clothes :)

How far back are you going to read? :D
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

haha i read only the first post cuz i totally agreed with!
MarN21
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat