2012 Presidential Race

Topic locked
2012 Presidential Race Sep 26, 2011
Any thoughts who is likely to come out the winner and republican candidate?
I have never liked the republicans but this time around I would like Ron Paul to win. He is the only one that makes sense.

DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Re: 2012 Presidential Race Sep 26, 2011
How does Ron Paul make sense?
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Well he believes in free markets and understands the financial system and the Federal reserve better than any other candidate. He makes statements which are unpopular but and true and I think more politicians should do that rather than give unrealistic rosy outlooks. That approach has already yielded him a faithful following. Another important factor is that he is supported by the actor Vince Vaughn. Anyway I like him. Who do you prefer?
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

I would also consider Ron Paul.

In reality,this time round, it is more evident how the republicans, democrats, The Tea Party, are more concerned about their own personal agenda rather than what is best for the US. Winning elections are based on telling the people what they want to hear and making promises which cannot be kept by one person alone. Obama made some really great promises, none of which he managed to make a reality. I also don't take to politicians who bring religion into a campaign. What ever happened to separation of church and state? Someone who is mildly religious would be fine by me, even better, an agnostic.

I would like to see Hillary take another shot at it. I love when she goes up against other female runners - without any effort on her part, the other women show just how stupid they are. :) Hillary can do that to men as well. :wink: Makes me embarrassed for them. :oops:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

When I came across Ron Paul (I had never even know he ran in 2008) I was instantly impressed with his straight talking and consistent message. As I searched more on the internet to watch his debates and speeches I have become even more of a fan. Now if anyone didn't believe that the media is controlled in the US and only establishment types get the spotlight they only have to watch this Jon Stewart clip. Its quite hilarious and there is lots of evidence of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzL9i2J ... re=related

Here are few others. The question needs to be asked why they are ignoring a potential presidential candidate so vigorously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ji9Ond5 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTfK2LYz ... re=related
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Well he believes in free markets and understands the financial system and the Federal reserve better than any other candidate.

I don't agree with Ron Paul's libertarian views. Extreme libertarians like Ron Paul believe corporations should take over services provided for by the government. Meaning, when it snows, it should be private corporations to plow the streets (and I'm not talking about government contracting these jobs out to people who'll do it for cheaper). Although that's efficient, the downside is that many/most roads won't get plowed, etc.

Ron's views on foreign policy are also wrong and something I'm discussing on this thread:

dubai-politics-talk/where-are-the-trans-national-other-qaedas-t47495.html
event horizon

I suppose there is a balance between corp and gov but at least I can see the guy actually reducing the size of government which is just crazy in the US rather than just saying they will like the others. Also the other candidates feel and look so polished and trained and sound like they speak from a textbook rather than from their heart about the issues. I also really like the way he is consistent, his voting record is impeccable and you really feel that he won't change if he gets into office. Unfortunately by some chance if he does win I think he is prime assassination target as he won't bend his morals and ideology to suit lobby and special interest groups.

I full agree with him that the US has to focus on defence rather than military strategies abroad. The US general public overwhelmingly want the wars to stop apart from the politicians and the business's that profit from it don't. He raises more money from US military staff which goes a long way to prove that his policies are supported by actual military personnel.

I would never vote for a republican but this guy has a special mix and I think a lot of people recognize that.

Anyway who do you support?
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

DearJohn, we should co-ordinate our posts. The resident loons have a conspiracy theory that you're a covert Muslim.

If you are, send me the secret signal and I'll not bother you any more.

(PS, if you keep on saying you'll vote for the next US president, you'll only just confuse them... but then again, they are easily confused. :D )

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: 2012 Presidential Race Sep 27, 2011
shafique wrote:DearJohn, we should co-ordinate our posts. The resident loons have a conspiracy theory that you're a covert Muslim.

If you are, send me the secret signal and I'll not bother you any more.

(PS, if you keep on saying you'll vote for the next US president, you'll only just confuse them... but then again, they are easily confused. :D )

Forget the covert Muslim allegation they think I am you. They can believe what they like.

I can't vote in US elections as I am not a US citizen but I think US policy should matter to us all + I just find it an interesting topic. I was quite excited when Obama came to office but I think he fooled us all (or at least me) with the "change" theme. This time around I couldn't see anyone that gave me any hope but as I mentioned I quite like this Ron Paul guy.
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Well, I can't support someone who believes regulations - environmental, health, food, medicinal, financial, etc., etc are all bad. That's what libertarians like Paul believe. Yet libertarians don't understand that we have regulations precisely because corporations can't be trusted to do the right thing on their own - hence why we have regulations in the first place.

Going back to the snowplow scenario, people like Paul have no recourse for free riders whereas if everyone is taxed for government services, then all roads are paid - certainly some roads have higher precedence than others, but all roads would get paid with a government. That wouldn't happen if private corporations ever take over as libertarians want.
event horizon

eh - IMO you really shouldn't have to construct straw men to justify why you're against Ron Paul.

From what I read, he's a nightmare for the kooky right wingers in the Republican party, because he's a Republican and seems to be speaking sense on many issues.

It appears that you're avoiding the topics where he speak sense and coming up with strawmen on issues that aren't central.

I'm amused that right-wingers seem to view 'liberty' as a dirty word.

That said, I know little about RP - so you guys continue to argue this out.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

So you think regulations make things worse too - as Libertarians?

Sure, there's some truth to that. Too much of anything is bad (including your religion which you eat and breathe).

But what does that have to do with Libertarian/Ron Paul's kooky beliefs that environmental regulations should be abolished?

Why do nutters like Ron Paul want private corporations to manage and provide basic services instead of the government and abolish the social safety nets liberal constitutional democracies have had for the past 150 years?

Sorry, I think that's a pretty central issue to take against Ron Paul and others.
event horizon

Sorry eh - I'm not familiar with the 'derogative' term 'libertarians'. I was just commenting that I find it odd that 'liberty' is taken as a dirty word by right-wingers like you.

Also, based on your past practices of attributing false beliefs on others - I'd not take your word for what RP believes. I mean, many of your friends still believe Obama is a closet Muslim and that donkeys talk.

But if we talk in general terms - my political leanings are left of centre, so I'd be termed a 'Communist' by your friends - and therefore I'd expect to disagree with much of what a Republican candidate like RP stands for. But as I said, I haven't looked in detail into the allegations and beliefs on either side.

I'll happily read what you and DearJohn uncover.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I was just commenting that I find it odd that 'liberty' is taken as a dirty word by right-wingers like you.

Really? Where?

I certainly haven't opposed hate or blasphemous speech like you have - which would make you and your fellow religious nutters against liberty, not me.

my political leanings are left of centre, so I'd be termed a 'Communist' by your friends

That's no surprise. Authoritarians need the state to punish those blasphemers somehow.

People who draw satirical pictures of Muhammad aren't going to lock themselves up.
event horizon

What is it with loon rants these days? :roll:

I'll leave you and DJ to sort out the facts.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Is having the snow removed from the street something I have to consider when I vote? :drunken:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: 2012 Presidential Race Sep 28, 2011
Does anyone think Sarah Palin will run? I am not a fan of hers but there certainly seems to be a fair amount of support for her.

The other lady in the contest Michele Bachman seems to say the strangest things (some which verge on racism) and thankfully is losing ground quickly after a good start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZxQZMSl ... re=related
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Re: 2012 Presidential Race Sep 28, 2011
I agree with her that not all cultures are equal.

This only seems a controversial opinion in the West. But on Muslim forums, I notice it's taken for granted by Muslims that their culture/way of life is superior to non-Muslim cultures, etc.

Certainly no one is going to say that those Muslims are racist for their belief and I wouldn't say it's racist per se to believe that one culture could easily be construed as better than another, depending on what your personal values are to judge the two respective cultures.

(For instance, if you're against crime and for civil order at the expense of freedom, you could easily believe many Eastern cultures (China, Islamic world) are superior to the United States where there is plenty of social freedom but also quite a bit of crime in comparison to a communist dictatorship or society in which religion dominates the way of life)
event horizon

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk