Muslim Women 2012

Topic locked
Muslim women 2012 Aug 04, 2012
Muslim women who overcame the odds and the prejudice to make history today on the Olympic stage
Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Brunei have all entered women athletes into the 2012 Olympic Games for the first time ever
For most athletes at the London Olympics, their battle starts when they take their place on the starting blocks.

But for Muslim women just taking part in London felt like a gold medal victory.

To reach the Games, they have had to overcome political, social, religious and sporting obstacles.The country's ultra-conservative clergy tried to destroy her ambitions to be Saudi's first female Olympian, before an argument about the type of headscarf she should wear jeopardised her place at the eleventh hour.

But the wall of noise Kohistani experienced in the Olympic Stadium was in stark contrast to the whistling and heckling she received on a daily basis from dozens of men while training at the stadium in Kabul.

In Afghanistan They would shout 'Just be in your house' and 'Be behind your man!' as she raced up and down the track, honing her technique.

Her coach would often have to quite literally fight his way through the crowds afterwards.
After the race, she said: 'I faced a lot of challenges in my training for the London Olympics.

'One day I was coming to the stadium and the taxi driver asked me where I was going. I said 'I am training, I am going to London Olympics' and he said 'get out of the cab, I don't want to take you there'.

'Whenever I train there's a lot of people who want to disturb me. They say 'just leave these things, it's not good for Afghan females to do these things'.'
Although her time was nearly four seconds slower than Florence Griffith-Joyner's world record of 10.49 seconds, Kohistani had some powerful words to her fellow countrywomen.

'I have a message for the women of Afghanistan. Come and join me Tahmina because I need your support.

WELL DONE Muslim woman dudes GO FOR IT !!!!! it`s 2012 :D

crusader 1
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Muslim Women 2012 Aug 04, 2012
Fake. I thought this would be a calendar
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Muslim Women 2012 Aug 05, 2012
To be fair these women have done themselves proud. They didn't listen to those who tried to stop them, had to put up with twitter hashtags like 'olympicwhores' and abuse, but the went ahead and did it anyway. Well done to these women and well done to the Olympic committee for not tolerating s.e.xist nonsense from these countries any longer.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Yes, well done women! :D
I dont subscribe to : "A woman's place is in the 'Home'; and while she is there, she might as well stay in the Kitchen." :P
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

Chocoholic wrote:To be fair these women have done themselves proud.

Agreed.

This was from a while back:

dubai-politics-talk/iranian-sportswomen-kick-arse-t44652.html

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk