Brokeback Mountain - Should It Be Shown?

Topic locked

Should the film be shown?

Yes
58%
No
32%
Don't care
11%

Total votes : 19

Brokeback Mountain - should it be shown? Jan 22, 2006
Hey All,

Question! Lots of controversy over the movie 'Brokeback Mountain' and whether it should be shown in the UAE or not.

Basically the story revolves around two cowboys and their close relationship, class it as gay if you want.

The movie has been hailed as a cinematic masterpiece by director Ang Lee, it's already won 4 Golden Globes and is tipped for big things at the Oscars.

It's been banned in some US cinemas by hardcore Christians and Mormons against the storyline. It is slated for release in the UAE in March, but is causing many people to be opinionated about it. How much it will be edited I don't know.

My view is: You can watch all manner of things on the telly here, but going to the cinema is a personal choice, if you don't like it - don't go!!! There are far worse things happening on the street which go against local religious and cultural beliefs which the authorities allow, to ban a movie to me seems ridiculous. I'm more against films that promote and glorify violence and are littered with foul language.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 22, 2006
I'd prefer banning this movie about fags. Its retarded and we have enough social decay without having our kids watching this garbage.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 22, 2006
Liban :lol: :lol: :lol: You obviously have some strong views. Here I presume the rating be adult only if the censors allow it to be shown.
I think considering people's religous views here it may be shown but I don't think many people will go. So I agree with you Chocoholic. Doesn't bother me either way, actually wouldn't mind seeing it but not fussed.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 22, 2006
Well even the actor's girlfriend walked away from the theatre when it was shown. My friend loves it and I keep 20 arms distance from him. :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 22, 2006
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 22, 2006
Liban

Why dont you read what Choc Actually wrote.

She does have a point you know about what the authorities allow or turn a blind eye to.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 22, 2006
arniegang wrote:Liban

Why dont you read what Choc Actually wrote.

She does have a point you know about what the authorities allow or turn a blind eye to.

I gave my opinion and thats that.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 23, 2006
The catch phrase of the 80's was "Real men don't eat quiche".....now the catch phrase of the millenium will be "Real men don't watch 'Brokeback Mountain'" :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2006
GAB wrote:Liban :lol: :lol: :lol: You obviously have some strong views. Here I presume the rating be adult only if the censors allow it to be shown.
I think considering people's religous views here it may be shown but I don't think many people will go. So I agree with you Chocoholic. Doesn't bother me either way, actually wouldn't mind seeing it but not fussed.

There may well be ratings on this movie and it will defo be heavily edited if shown, but ratings are basically ignored by the Cinema's as I have sen too many young kids who should not be watching certain movies.

I believe it should be shown. I remember watching Constantine when it came out. It showed for a few days, then was taken off and then brought back on again.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 23, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
There may well be ratings on this movie and it will defo be heavily edited if shown, but ratings are basically ignored by the Cinema's as I have sen too many young kids who should not be watching certain movies.

I believe it should be shown. I remember watching Constantine when it came out. It showed for a few days, then was taken off and then brought back on again.

Was the Exorcist: The Begining shown in Dubai? Unedited?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 23, 2006
Yes, I think it was shown, but I never got to see it.

I remember seeing it advertised in the Movies.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 04, 2006
The world is changing Liban, change with it... or travel back in time. Im non-religious & straight..I have nothing against this movie. I'd prefer not to use the word retarted too, its too immature. Everyone has a choice in life.. I have known some homosexual people and i have nothing against them and you shouldnt too. Its the year 2006 not 1906, things have changed. i would want to watch this movie myself but i wont princess about it just to get some attention. You need to study more Liban, use knowledge. you can't fire a cannon without a ball inside it, idiots do it. :D

PS: What are your kids learning from you...to be ignorant. First of all even if this movie was screened I don't suppose kids will be allowed.
Kids learn more from their parents and you should teach them much more about the world and its people not just yourself. Also according to scientists people dont become homosexuals by watching something gay, they are naturally born like that.
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 12, 2006
[quote="bsorc"]The world is changing Liban, change with it... or travel back in time. Im non-religious & straight..I have nothing against this movie. I'd prefer not to use the word retarted too, its too immature. Everyone has a choice in life.. I have known some fun people and i have nothing against them and you shouldnt too. Its the year 2006 not 1906, things have changed. i would want to watch this movie myself but i wont princess about it just to get some attention. You need to study more Liban, use knowledge. you can't fire a cannon without a ball inside it, idiots do it. :D

PS: What are your kids learning from you...to be ignorant.

I totally agree with bsorc...just saw the movie yesterday, and i believe it be breathtaking and beautifully shot. I would reccommend everyone i know to see it....

Ignoring the reality that a sizeable percentage of the world population is gay is not going to change that fact...it will just lead one to be bigoted and close-minded...

I am not gay, but i loved this movie because it was different, not the typical hollywood love-story...

I think certain people should grow up and open their minds to a less-repressed and uncensored future.
irish vanessa
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 13, 2006
irish vanessa wrote:
bsorc wrote:The world is changing Liban, change with it... or travel back in time. Im non-religious & straight..I have nothing against this movie. I'd prefer not to use the word retarted too, its too immature. Everyone has a choice in life.. I have known some fun people and i have nothing against them and you shouldnt too. Its the year 2006 not 1906, things have changed. i would want to watch this movie myself but i wont princess about it just to get some attention. You need to study more Liban, use knowledge. you can't fire a cannon without a ball inside it, idiots do it. :D

PS: What are your kids learning from you...to be ignorant.

I totally agree with bsorc...just saw the movie yesterday, and i believe it be breathtaking and beautifully shot. I would reccommend everyone i know to see it....

Ignoring the reality that a sizeable percentage of the world population is gay is not going to change that fact...it will just lead one to be bigoted and close-minded...

I am not gay, but i loved this movie because it was different, not the typical hollywood love-story...

I think certain people should grow up and open their minds to a less-repressed and uncensored future.

i guess u saw uncensored version, the real one even the actor's gf had walked put of the theatre- man on man action.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2006
It is a beautiful movie - a moving love story. (Although I do agree that Crash was better and deserved the Oscar.) I still voted no, because showing a movie like this in such a conservative country could stir up a backlash, and possibly result in death for some h0mo$exuals in the country.

(edited by sniper420 cos h0mos*exuals appeared as fun which made little sense)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 13, 2006
kanelli wrote:It is a beautiful movie - a moving love story. (Although I do agree that Crash was better and deserved the Oscar.) I still voted no, because showing a movie like this in such a conservative country could stir up a backlash, and possibly result in death for some h0mo$exuals in the country.

(edited by sniper420 cos h0mos*exuals appeared as fun which made little sense)

well what happened to those abudhabi g*ay marriage men? Did they die? No!(HP is alive!) they were given hormone treatment and spanking
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 13, 2006
Sniper, thanks for the edit :) I wasn't talking about authorities killing gays, I was talking about some people in the general population attacking gays.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 13, 2006
Its True , it could stir up many problems in a country like UAE.
People need more knowledge thts all.
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 13, 2006
I understand what you are all saying...

Its easy for me to say that it should be shown and uncensored while im living in a more liberated country and having never been in the UAE...

Nevertheless, i was unaware at how anti-gay the country is...and maybe Dubai isn't as cosmopolitan as i had thought...
irish vanessa
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 16, 2006
irish vanessa wrote:I understand what you are all saying...

Its easy for me to say that it should be shown and uncensored while im living in a more liberated country and having never been in the UAE...

Nevertheless, i was unaware at how anti-gay the country is...and maybe Dubai isn't as cosmopolitan as i had thought...

being anti-gay doesnt mean it's not cosmopolitan...
hashman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 16, 2006
I disagree hashman...the most cosmopolitan cities in the world have the highest percentage of gay people among them because these cities are liberated and open to homosexuality...

I lived in both New York and Paris for a period of time and found these cities to accept and encourage gay culture....whereas Dublin (which in my opinion is less cosmopolitan) is less accepting of it's gay population....it is changing here, however as the city develops and opens its mind...

I used to think that the more cosmopolitan a city becomes, the more anti-gay sentiment was berated...but perhaps Dubai is the exception to this rule...
irish vanessa
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 19, 2006
I have to agree with irish vanessa on more cosmopolitan cities being more accepting of their gay populations. I grew up in Boston and went to school in Ohio... night and day in terms of both their culture and acceptance of gays. Boston was open and accepting while Ohio was not.

Though I voted that brokeback should be shown here I don't really know if Dubai is ready for this movie yet.
hetherjw
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 25, 2006
if you hate homo$exuals then watch V for Vendetta, very good lesson on freedom. If you hate everyone different then you are acting like the nazis the only difference is you dont dont wear the swastika sign.
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 07, 2006
irish vanessa wrote:
bsorc wrote:The world is changing Liban, change with it... or travel back in time. Im non-religious & straight..I have nothing against this movie. I'd prefer not to use the word retarted too, its too immature. Everyone has a choice in life.. I have known some fun people and i have nothing against them and you shouldnt too. Its the year 2006 not 1906, things have changed.

Here here! Liban's views do not reflect the views of most of us thank heavens! An open mind is far better than a closed ignorant one! :roll: :shock:
Airmedic
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 07, 2006
I think although a lot of us have no problem with it in our society, we must respect how deeply offensive the concept of "gays" are to muslims.

Remember only last month in Abu Dhabi, 14 of them got 5 years and one got 2 years for getting caught at a party.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 07, 2006
Christians and Mormons against the storyline and what is wrong with that? It is a story about the unnatural and in its time they would have been burnt at the stake this film is the devils work :twisted:
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 07, 2006
Mr & Mrs Inquirer wrote:Christians and Mormons against the storyline and what is wrong with that? It is a story about the unnatural and in its time they would have been burnt at the stake this film is the devils work :twisted:

*yawn* So much for Dubai being a no gay-bashing place! I've talked about this subject before, so I won't be repeating myself AGAIN on here. Short version is, the movie is great, I have it on DVD, loved it to bits. Should it be shown here? I'd love it to be, but I'm living in another country, a country that has its own traditions, culure, and religious ethics. I wouldn't like it if something was being shown that was culturally inappropriate etc. If you like this film, then get it on DVD - end of story. Don't waste your time waiting for it to come out on the cinemas here.
solhanic
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 07, 2006
Mr & Mrs Inquirer wrote:Christians and Mormons against the storyline and what is wrong with that? It is a story about the unnatural and in its time they would have been burnt at the stake this film is the devils work :twisted:

Another crack pot view...i am so glad that i am not like you and would teach my children to never be so closed minded and insulting :roll:
Airmedic
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 08, 2006
closed minded and insulting to say they are perverts your the one with crack pot out look you need to get some real Christian family values
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 08, 2006
Mr & Mrs Inquirer wrote:closed minded and insulting to say they are perverts your the one with crack pot out look you need to get some real Christian family values

so are Jewish, Buddhist, Islamic and Bahai values.... :roll:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk