Could DF Use A Mod Shake Up?

Topic locked
Re: Could DF Use A Mod Shake Up? Dec 05, 2010
zubber wrote:haha seriously man, i can see this forum is full of fiesty people with no one willing to throw in the towel, heh are all dubai'ians like this heh

Zubber, to avoid any misunderstandings, I would like to confirm that I'm English and proud.
Feisty? I'm not sure. Feisty, to me is excitable, the way I would describe my Mr Emirati on hearing that someone described the woman he wants to make his wife, as a whore.

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

ImageImageImage
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Could DF use a mod shake up? Dec 05, 2010
From reading old posts it seems that there is some favoritism on the part of the mods and potentially unfairness on how they deal with certain individuals, etc. Ultimately if I felt I was treated in an unfair way I would simply leave DF but I tip my hat to those that stuck around - you are more tolerant than me. DF like any other forum is reliant on its members - while I am sure DF has tons of members from the short time I have been around its clear that there are a limited amount of active members. Not sure how DF would be without the active posters like Shaf, EH, BM, Bora, Chocs, Kanelli, DDS, DK and more recently Zubber. Its in the interest of all DF participants to make it work...including the Mods.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Cheers Joe, don't sweat it this is usual from EH, he is constantly walking the thin line with the one sided tripe he posts and when does overstep and called upon, goes crying running to general chat crying and complaing foul.

If you search you'll find many similar whining threads by EH here.
desertdudeshj

I. for one, hope you stick around Joe. You seem like the voice of reason in the crazy, mixed up world of DF. it's a shame that people can't accept that others have a differing opinion without claiming they are 'whining'.

If you search you will find many similar whining threads by DDS here.
Bethsmum

Again, trying to pour oil over troubled waters:

DDS put on his moderator cap on and issued a warning to a member who he felt had stepped over the line. The member in question doesn't dispute that the action DDS warned him about was committed, but is now saying this rule shouldn't apply to him for various reasons and that the rule was just made up.

DDS did not lock or move the thread - he issued a warning.

Now, whether people think that DDS other posts (when he doesn't have a moderator cap on) violate the same rule he's issued a warning about is a separate matter. If he has, then the fault is with other moderators for not warning DDS.

Now, eh and DDS have form (and certainly eh and myself have form) - so this has and will colour the reaction to his posts.

For the new-comers, here are some relevant thread:
A thread summarising information revealed on DF:
philosophy-dubai/most-extreme-religous-fanatic-here-t41961.html

philosophy-dubai/handy-list-quaint-beliefs-t39802.html

Threads where eh is trying to get me to rise to the bait about Ahamadis/Ahmadiyyat/Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (all stand-alone threads in which he's trying to fish for info):
philosophy-dubai/mirza-ahmad-declared-other-muslims-kafir-t44107.html

philosophy-dubai/mirza-ahmad-declared-other-muslims-kafir-t44107.html
(A classic case of not reading what he posted)

philosophy-dubai/mirza-ghulam-views-prophet-jesus-t39900.html

But at the end of the day, DDS called eh out for a totally unrelated ad-hominem attack in a thread about a wife batterer who has been arrested in Germany.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The pot (DDS) calling the kettle (EH) black.
Bethsmum

^Then the issue is with other mods for not stepping up and chastising DDS for doing what eh did.

No one seems to be defending eh - just objecting to WHO warned eh, rather than the fact he was warned. I have to say, that had eh made an ad-hominem attack against another poster (and not myself) I too would have issued a mod warning.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Bora Bora wrote:Is it possible that DDS is in possession of a set of rules that other mods aren't aware of? DDS, could you please circulate those rules? If Shaf didn't take action and you felt the need to step in, then possibly you need to share those rules for everyone. Or are they exclusively yours???

See! Dear moderators and forum admin, can we please have a clear set of forum rules posted for everyone to read at the top of every forum. It would stop half of this bickering!

-- Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:22 am --

shafique wrote:But at the end of the day, DDS called eh out for a totally unrelated ad-hominem attack in a thread about a wife batterer who has been arrested in Germany.

Exactly, DDS is doing what a moderator should. However, some people are happy to jump on DDS without being able to separate their own issues with him from his actual task as a moderator. Of course moderators should be following the rules themselves or they will lose credibility with other forumers, as we can see has happened with a few mods.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Agreed that there needs to be an established set of rules that EVERYONE needs to stick to.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

OK, I have been standing on the touchline with my offside flag twitching behind my back...its time I made a little wave.

Many here seem to have a beef with the Mods here and are asking for 'rules'.
That is like trying to instigate rules in a termite mound.
There are stickies at the top of each forum, posted either by the Admins or the Mods, on what is and what is not acceptable in a particular forum. Some have not been updated for a while as they are not overly active.

As Mods, it is our job to try and keep the forum within the bounds of common decency and sensibility without restricting the free flow of thought, information and debate. That is an indefinable and abstract area where interpretation is thrown at the feet of the Mod and there are no hard or fast rules. We are not the 'thought police', however if a member oversteps the known bounds by publishing personal information or out and out insulting material, then this is where we are in black and white territory.

We are given the arbitrary power to edit, move, lock or delete content but not the power to ban or remove a member from the forum and this, correctly as far as I am concerned, is entirely the choice of the Admins. If everyone is screaming for better moderation, then I for one would like to hear what and how they would define that control?

You want us to be more strict? Fine, then any personal disagreement, dig or slight at another member, either open or veiled, will result in warnings or bans? This would soon be a forum filled with the sound of crickets and tumbleweed blowing through the content.

You want us to be less strict? Then the flaming and personal insults that fly around would also soon drive the more sensible and valuable contributors to pastures new where they can voice their opinions without risk of low flying brickbats.

You want us to be more 'fair'? Define fair. We all have opinions and any restriction will be seen from one perspective or another as unfair. The blatant breaches are the easiest ones to classify, but much of the content here is amorphous and therefore as hard to moderate as juggling soot underwater...blindfolded.

It is up to the members to decide how to behave and the Mods to keep an eye on them. If you can't control your personal feelings towards each other, then we will just have to do it for you. Just don't complain if you get edited by us or banned by the Admins.

I don't personally agree with many opinions or members points of view as posted, but I am not here to judge that. I am here to judge if the content you post in the forums where I am a Mod is within the bounds of a public entity. Step over that and I will intervene and it does not matter who you are, or if I know you in the real world, that is there and this is here.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE advice welcomed. Anything else, keep it to yourself.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

shafique wrote:^Then the issue is with other mods for not stepping up and chastising DDS for doing what eh did.

No one seems to be defending eh - just objecting to WHO warned eh, rather than the fact he was warned. I have to say, that had eh made an ad-hominem attack against another poster (and not myself) I too would have issued a mod warning.

Cheers,
Shafique

Thanks God Shafique it was not you. I always think that you are not small enough to use such kind of weapon.

Cheers
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

DK, a good post, but sadly some of the mods themselves are the biggest culprits! You yourself are a prime suspect for taking many threads off topic, albeit with humour, but still you derail many many threads. DDS and Bora are constantly at each others throats, so what kind of example does that set when many of the mods can't even keep themselves in check?

Just saying.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:DK, a good post, but sadly some of the mods themselves are the biggest culprits! You yourself are a prime suspect for taking many threads off topic, albeit with humour, but still you derail many many threads. DDS and Bora are constantly at each others throats, so what kind of example does that set when many of the mods can't even keep themselves in check?

Just saying.

I often find the injection of a little levity and humour can help to defuse a thread that is either getting too serious or 'up itself'. I do make an effort to apply wit that is relevant to the topic.

Sometimes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

There has been serious bias in moderating here. If the forum rules are so clearly defined, why are most forumers unclear on the rules? Are we all mentally deficient?

The fact is, no one wants to do active moderating here, which requires rules and consistency. It has never been a priority and doesn't look like it will be in the future.

p.s. A while ago I did give a whole post of constructive advice, but it was moved to the admin forum and nothing has happened since.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Bethsmum wrote:I. for one, hope you stick around Joe. You seem like the voice of reason in the crazy, mixed up world of DF. it's a shame that people can't accept that others have a differing opinion without claiming they are 'whining'.

Thanks BM - thats very kind of you :D. Hopefully I won't offend anyone important too son and will stick around.

@ Mods - for what its worth I personally like the diversity of opinion and don't believe that everyone should or needs to get along - we are all different and we will differ. Just treat everyone the same/equally so nodody feels unfarily treated - that includes older members, mods, etc. Don't moderate too much and only when the situation has really required it (ie Gladfly) and is clearly out of control. Its obviously key to know what is out of control but I would limit it to extreme scenarios. Otherwise sit back and enjoy the fight, humour, etc - it will all resolve itself.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Dubai Knight wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:DK, a good post, but sadly some of the mods themselves are the biggest culprits! You yourself are a prime suspect for taking many threads off topic, albeit with humour, but still you derail many many threads. DDS and Bora are constantly at each others throats, so what kind of example does that set when many of the mods can't even keep themselves in check?

Just saying.

I often find the injection of a little levity and humour can help to defuse a thread that is either getting too serious or 'up itself'. I do make an effort to apply wit that is relevant to the topic.

Sometimes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

DK, I agree you do and do it well, most of the time (although you are a lecherous old git! :D BTW you never did tell me where you were from in Cumbria, is it Wuk-in-tun?)
I remember calling someone a fat fu**er in a thread about a fitness video, followed by a smiley face of course! I still maintain it was a joke and am prepared to swear that with my hand on David Beckham's pants. It earned me a day on the naughty step.

-- Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:21 pm --

JoeTGF wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:I. for one, hope you stick around Joe. You seem like the voice of reason in the crazy, mixed up world of DF. it's a shame that people can't accept that others have a differing opinion without claiming they are 'whining'.

Thanks BM - thats very kind of you :D. Hopefully I won't offend anyone important too son and will stick around.

@ Mods - for what its worth I personally like the diversity of opinion and don't believe that everyone should or needs to get along - we are all different and we will differ. Just treat everyone the same/equally so nodody feels unfarily treated - that includes older members, mods, etc. Don't moderate too much and only when the situation has really required it (ie Gladfly) and is clearly out of control. Its obviously key to know what is out of control but I would limit it to extreme scenarios. Otherwise sit back and enjoy the fight, humour, etc - it will all resolve itself.

Joe, offending people is all part of the fun on DF, that's why I love it so much, wouldn't it be a boring old world if we were all PC? I think I told you last week, it would all kick off again soon. I wish I was that good at predicting the lottery numbers :wink:
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:DK, I agree you do and do it well, most of the time (although you are a lecherous old git! :D BTW you never did tell me where you were from in Cumbria, is it Wuk-in-tun?)

Actually its Co Durham...begins with a D, has one of the worst football teams in the bottom league, is the birthplace of Vic Reeves and is the only town I know where the by-pass goes through the middle of the town!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:DK, I agree you do and do it well, most of the time (although you are a lecherous old git! :D BTW you never did tell me where you were from in Cumbria, is it Wuk-in-tun?)

Actually its Co Durham...begins with a D, has one of the worst football teams in the bottom league, is the birthplace of Vic Reeves and is the only town I know where the by-pass goes through the middle of the town!

Knight

It's not Darlo???
My daughters went to Polam Hall School, thay had many a bottle green straw boater ruined by those local lads, bloody hooligans! I'm a Durham girl myself, tho a bit further north.
Bethsmum

DDS did not lock or move the thread - he issued a warning.

Nice try.

The OP doesn't quote Desert's 'warning' but his response to my question regarding his warning.

Desert wasn't able to explain himself what rule I 'violated' and effectively told me to shut up:

If you don't like them move along. If you continue to whine, thread will either be locked or deleted

I'm asking if this is what other forum members want out of mods; mods, when asked to justify their actions, will tell the ordinary members to post on another forum or they'll begin locking or deleting threads entirely if they're bothered any more.
event horizon

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Bethsmum wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

It's not Darlo???
My daughters went to Polam Hall School, thay had many a bottle green straw boater ruined by those local lads, bloody hooligans! I'm a Durham girl myself, tho a bit further north.

Spot on! My big sister went there too.
Then we moved to Barney!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Bloody hell, Barney lads, used to get together for dances with Polam girls, who were goers, I'm led to believe, daughters excepted of course :wink: What a small world.
Bethsmum

Re: Could DF use a mod shake up? Dec 06, 2010
JoeTGF wrote:

You bring up very good points Joe.

Mods should always view their position as always being subject to change.

In fact, new Mods should replace old ones on regular and consistent basis; clearly the consensus on this thread is that members are not happy with the performance of our current moderation team.

I would also like to see members have more say in decisions - if a mod bans or deletes a thread or post or a thread is locked, perhaps members should have the ability to reverse any mod action.

For members such as gladfly, I think temporary thread creation time outs are in order rather than mere banning. Gladfly should be forced to participate in threads rather than only start new, copy-pasty ones. Ditto with Dattaswami. Who, in all fairness, was/is no better than gladfly.
event horizon

Re: Could DF Use A Mod Shake Up? Dec 06, 2010
^^^^This coming from the king of cut-and-paste!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Could DF Use A Mod Shake Up? Dec 07, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:^^^^This coming from the king of cut-and-paste!!!

LOL I agree. Plus who has the time for all that - eish people have lives you know and don't LIVE on the forum.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Well they say: be careful what you wish for, you just may get it. DF just got a bid of mod shakeup.

I bet someone woke up this morning thinking: Oooooooooh, my world just got a bit larger!!! :lol: Hope he can juggle all those forums that he has to moderate. :lol:

On the flip side, TJ is now a mod. Now here's a man that applies logic and thought and I'm sure we will see that as opposed to someone flexing his flabby muscles. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Er...its been like this for two days now if you didn't notice !
desertdudeshj

Errrr, I don't look at who the mods are on a daily basis Big Red. :lol: :lol:

Are you looking for a congrats???? Please hold your breath waiting for one. :lol:

I would like to think that adding you as a mod to General Discussion is something of a joke. A bad one, but nevertheless a joke. :?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aw well shit happens.
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat