UAE Labour Contract But Working In DIFC

Topic locked
UAE labour contract but working in DIFC Apr 11, 2010
Hi, I signed a contract with my employer when I started working in Dubai in 2008, and immediately began working in our office in the DIFC. My contract is coming up for renegotiation, and I was looking over the contract recently and realised that the contract is actually written subject to the UAE labour laws, and includes typical UAE labour law benefits - for example, 30 days annual leave rather than the statutory mininum of 20 in DIFC. This is not surprising as my company has been in the UAE for many years and only recently opened a DIFC office.

Can someone please tell me - given that I work in the DIFC full-time but have a contract subject to UAER labour laws, am I subject to the labour laws of the UAE or the DIFC? UAE laws are better in some respects (eg number of days annual leave, and getting paid annual leave in cash if you can't take it), while DIFC is better in others (eg if employee terminates employment contract you get your full severance pay, whereas in the UAE you would only receive 1/3).

Many thanks for your help!

anonymouse
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: UAE Labour Contract But Working In DIFC Aug 08, 2010
I understand that DIFC has it's own labour rules as it's a Free Zone. Therefore companies dont have to adhere to local rules on Emiratisation, Ramadam hours, Public Holidays etc. Like you say it's good sometimes, but on others. If i were to hazzard a guess not knowing your exact circumstances, then it sounds like the company used one contract to apease another due to just opening the DIFC branch. Perhaps when you come to the new contract it will be ammended.

I know if I move offices and work outside the DIFC I have to have a new contract / sponsor.
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai