--> SLS <--

Topic locked
--> SLS <-- Feb 13, 2010
Perhaps some of us are not aware of this "carcinogenic" substance that has become a part of our life specially for those who like to stay clean all the time :mrgreen:

Well here are the list of items that are involved with SLS:

Tooth-paste, Shampoos, Soaps, Mouth wash, Body wash, Shave cream, etc.

SLS is what makes all the foam when showering or washing (since it's a foaming agent), which makes us believe that this product is really effective as it dissolves the oil from our skin. But the fact is, SLS is also used for car washing products to degrease car engines :shock:

In other words, SLS is used for car engines & human skin! Which is not a balanced equation, atleast for me!

There have been a lot of debates regarding the effect of SLS, some believe it's true, others think it's just a theory. Personally, I strongly believe it has a negative effect, and I'd also say it is carcinogenic as many other things that we use/consume in our daily life.

Back in college, during my organic chemistry & bio-chemistry labs, my lecturer kept on giving us endless lectures on how we should be carefull & with full safety when dealing with SLS agents in our experiment, since it's carcinogenic.

Offcourse the amount of SLS we use is very little (in shampoos for example), but if the amount happen to increase or perhaps the extra daily usage, then that would still have an effect for sure. If not cancer, then atleast hair loss, or skin irritataion on the long term. Good shampoos include other conditioning substances to make it feel better, but it's just a commercial thing to me.

Subject is open for discussion.

symmetric
BANNED

Re: --> SLS <-- Feb 13, 2010
I just finished the book "Michael Jackson - The Majic, The Madness, The Whole Story". I'm not one to read about other people's lives, but this was an interesting book.

Apparently, when Michael went "all white" he was using a bleaching cream, called Porcelana. Had crates of it stored away. Obviously this cream is absorbed into the body. Jackson was diagnosed with the skin disease Vitilgio. Some doctors speculated that it was not as much hereditary as it was the consequence of damage done by bleaching chemicals over the years and makes one sensitive to sunlight (hence the sunglasses, which he constantly wore, and the umbrellas).

Well it made me think about all the skin bleaching products that you see in the stores here in Dubai. Although I'm sure not used to the extent that Michael used them, the fact remains it is being absorbed into the skin and can cause health problems.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: --> SLS <-- Feb 13, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:Well it made me think about all the skin bleaching products that you see in the stores here in Dubai. Although I'm sure not used to the extent that Michael used them, the fact remains it is being absorbed into the skin and can cause health problems.

Moreover, it gets even worse when you consume food that also has a lot of carcinogenic substances in it.
Fruits & vegetables for example, with all the pesticides used and chemical fertilizers!

I wonder if you heard of the Organic market in Dubai Mall, they used to have a branch nearby Al Hana center.
They only sell bio-organic products, and you can really sense the difference :wink:

I'm a loyal customer of that Organic market, and make sure to go on every 3rd Saturday of each month to get 20% discount :mrgreen:

It's a bit expensive, but totally worth it!
symmetric
BANNED

Re: --> SLS <-- Feb 15, 2010
Your also a tree hugger arn't you ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:Your also a tree hugger arn't you ?

If that's an alternative term, then yes I'm an environmentalist.

Are you a tree hugger too? lol
symmetric
BANNED

did you see the movie "food inc"? Very interesting.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

symmetric wrote:

No, that IS the correct term. As for me being a tree hugger, read my Avatar and sig you'll know the answer.

Pity you don't get prius here, would be extreme fun to run over them
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
symmetric wrote:

No, that IS the correct term. As for me being a tree hugger, read my Avatar and sig you'll know the answer.

Pity you don't get prius here, would be extreme fun to run over them

I know what your avatar indicates, but I had a different thought in my mind.

As for "Tree Hugger", it seems to be more of a slang, or I guess I'm not familiar with it.
I believe "Environmentalist" is more appropriate.

It would be GREAT to have Prius here in the UAE, where cars are so needed and on demand. As far as I remember, in one of those exhibitions I saw a similar designed car (forgot which brand) that functions in a similar way (with natural gas) being introduced by ADNOC who also provided two stations that provides fuel services for this car.
symmetric
BANNED

Good for you Symm…!

I know…..we’re getting bombarded with so many harmful things everyday… from contaminated food to polluted air, …to electromagnetic fields, to radio waves, ..to cell phone radiation,..etc.

But our bodies must be really powerful to be able to combat all these dangers. If all of what we’ve heard about these dangers were true, we would’ve dropped dead a long time ago.

We’re resilient and adaptable, but we naturally still need to be watchful, and try to avoid these hazards as much as possible.

However, we shouldn’t get too paranoid about it!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

XPT wrote:did you see the movie "food inc"? Very interesting.

Yeah..I’ve seen that movie! A real eye opener..!

It’s amazing how the food industry has been able to cleverly ‘’manufacture” our food to maximize its profits, and make us "like" it, at the expense of our health!!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:Good for you Symm…!

I know…..we’re getting bombarded with so many harmful things everyday… from contaminated food to polluted air, …to electromagnetic fields, to radio waves, ..to cell phone radiation,..etc.

But our bodies must be really powerful to be able to combat all these dangers. If all of what we’ve heard about these dangers were true, we would’ve dropped dead a long time ago.

We’re resilient and adaptable, but we naturally still need to be watchful, and try to avoid these hazards as much as possible.

However, we shouldn’t get too paranoid about it!!

8) 8)

Couldn't agree more with you!
Sometimes we exaggerate with how a lot of things are harmful to our boddies, and it is true that the human body is strong & can adapt, but there is always a cost mi amigo.

White hair has become common between youth :shock: Including me!
I got few white hairs already but interestingly sometimes the tip is white, but lower part to the root is black :mrgreen: .. We're messed up XD

If I were to give up all those manipulated products, I 'll do so, but I can't give up Ben & Jerry's ice-creams :mrgreen:
symmetric
BANNED

No, but I would like to!

Tom Jones wrote:

Any idea where I can get it here in Dubai? Or shall I just hunt it online?
symmetric
BANNED

Tree Hugger

Bang on description lol
arniegang

A paranoid tree hugger at that. I think prefer the Alien face huggers more
desertdudeshj

Re: --> SLS <-- Feb 16, 2010
arniegang wrote:Tree Hugger

Bang on description lol

Depends what tree you like to hug. If I were DD, I also wouldn't want to hug trees in the desert... :D

RobbyG

Re: --> SLS <-- Feb 16, 2010
symmetric wrote:

No, but I would like to!

Tom Jones wrote:

Any idea where I can get it here in Dubai? Or shall I just hunt it online?

Try Virgin at Mercato. I think I saw it there last month. Call first to make sure they still have it.

You of course have other cheaper (and free) alternatives (copies and downloads) -- which I don’t really condone. I’m not perfect, I’ve done it on limited occaisions, but I still believe it’s wrong!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat