On The Car Thing Again....

Topic locked
On the car thing again.... Feb 18, 2006
Yes, Im afraid Im back to bug you about the car thing again. I have FINALLY got myself sorted and should have my visa in the next two weeks. But here is my question.....

If I buy a car and insure it under my name, with my visa and UAE driving licence in order, can, for example, my brother or boyfriend or neighbours cat (!!!) drive my car over here with a European licence? Is he insured if he doesnt have a UAE driving licence or residency visa? (the neighbours cat's visa is almost thru so that shouldnt be a problem....)

Thanks to all, yet again....
:lol:

Louloute
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2006
Thats a very good question Lou, which i infact tried for the answer a few weeks ago without much sucess :shock: :shock:

I am in a similar position with my wife ie she can't drive my car. However i am going to get her a "temp" DL and then i am going to see wot the insurance issue is, i will let you know how i get on.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 18, 2006
Through my insurance company anyone with a valid UAE driver's license (temp or perm) can drive it, if they have a Canadian (guessing UK as well they cannot)

If the cat has a valid UK license it is very easy to get a temp Dubai one and you don’t need residency, valid for 6 months and continually renewable should the cat not wish to become a Dubai resident ;)

Not sure if all companies are the same though, worth checking out.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 18, 2006
Any idea as too dog and hampster car insurance position Fayz?

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Feb 18, 2006
Sorry Arnie, cant say I got too much out of your previous message.... altho not sure if it was exactly the same quesiton.... maybe it was... :?

Well, how do you go about getting a temp driving licence then?? Do you have to have a residents visa to get one?

Does the cat's photo for the driving licence need to be a profile photo or a photo taken directly straight ahead? All worth knowing....; :lol:
Louloute
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2006
Loul, You don't need residency for a temp driver's license. Just go down with a couple passport copies, a couple of passport photos, your passport and your UK license. For Canada, we had to also get a letter from the Consulate certifying that our Canadian license was valid (translated a BS cash grab) my understanding is you won't need this for a UK license. Go down to the traffic department and about 90 mins later you’ll be done.

I still haven’t figured out why they need passport photos as they take a picture of you there but going to do anything it is just a good idea to have photos and passport copies.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 18, 2006
Louloute wrote:Sorry Arnie, cant say I got too much out of your previous message.... altho not sure if it was exactly the same quesiton.... maybe it was... :?

Well, how do you go about getting a temp driving licence then?? Do you have to have a residents visa to get one?

Does the cat's photo for the driving licence need to be a profile photo or a photo taken directly straight ahead? All worth knowing....; :lol:

My humour is obviously far too subtle 8)
arniegang

Feb 19, 2006
Okey Doke will try that Fayz, tanx a mill! Will see how that goes so.....

And Arnie... sorry.... loved the last message. When I said that I didnt get much outta the previous message, I meant the explanation on who can drive what with which licence.... if you know what I mean.... la la la la la.... :roll:

But hey, as long as my cat can reach the brake pedal, she'll be a happy camper!
Louloute
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2006
Lou

Just make sure you apply for the correct type of Temp DL for your friend. There is a 6 month work related DL and a 6 month DL for those on visit visa's.

All the info is on here for you Lou

http://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/englis ... nlayid=196
arniegang

Feb 20, 2006
U are a STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tanx so much Arnie. Hope to get this sorted once and for all!!!!

Lemme know how you fare out or the insurance... may give me an idea... BTW, its an OIRISH passport... not a UK passport.... la la la la la.... heee hee hee...love freakin people out with that one.... worked in France EVERY time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Louloute
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat