Time Conventions Paradox

Topic locked
Oct 13, 2009
Mis,
You've said something about TIME there that I have always disagreed with Mathematically and logically.

You have called 12 NOON .....12 PM, then called 7 in the evening 7PM .
How can that be logical ? 12 NOON MUST be 12 AM , because the hour before it is 11 AM and the hour after it is 1 PM and the evening time is 7PM.

12PM MUST be midnight.......but so many people call midnight 12 AM !! How can that be right . How can 11PM be followed by 12AM then 1AM !!???
I see that basic arithmetical ERROR all the time. It does not make sense does it??

It was the same with the Millennium . The NEW Millennium started on January 1st 2001....not January 1st 2000!! Yet so many celebrated a NEW MILLENNIUM in 2000 !! The year 2000 meant that TWO MILLENNIA WERE COMPLETE ON Dec 31st 2000....not on Dec 31st 1999!!

You have not scored a century in cricket when you've hit 99 . So how can a Millennium finish at the end of 1999 ??

The figure 2 on the front of 2000 convinced all the mathematically inept............and there were MILLIONS.....that we were in a NEW millennium. It was rubbish.......but people are like SHEEP .....they follow along !! There is a parallel now in the "global warming" propaganda.

As Goebbells used to say......tell a lie often enough and people will believe it!!

I I reckon that half the people on this planet have no idea of BASIC arithmetic.

RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 13, 2009
RedKite wrote:Mis,
You've said something about TIME there that I have always disagreed with Mathematically and logically.

How can that be logical ? 12 NOON MUST be 12 AM , because the hour before it is 11 AM and the hour after it is 1 PM and the evening time is 7PM.

12PM MUST be midnight.......but so many people call midnight 12 AM !! How can that be right . How can 11PM be followed by 12AM then 1AM !!???
I see that basic arithmetical ERROR all the time. It does not make sense does it??

It was the same with the Millennium . The NEW Millennium started on January 1st 2001....not January 1st 2000!! Yet so many celebrated a NEW MILLENNIUM in 2000 !! The year 2000 meant that TWO MILLENNIA WERE COMPLETE ON Dec 31st 2000....not on Dec 31st 1999!!

You have not scored a century in cricket when you've hit 99 . So how can a Millennium finish at the end of 1999 ??

The figure 2 on the front of 2000 convinced all the mathematically inept............and there were MILLIONS.....that we were in a NEW millennium. It was rubbish.......but people are like SHEEP .....they follow along !! There is a parallel now in the "global warming" propaganda.

As Goebbells used to say......tell a lie often enough and people will believe it!!

I I reckon that half the people on this planet have no idea of BASIC arithmetic.

So then, when is it 12 AM according to your logic and basic arithmetic? Here on earth we have 12 hours in the AM cycle and 12 hours in the PM cycle - you know 24 hours in a day? And you critize "half the people on this planet" about the basics of math. I guess you are talking about the people on your planet, which definitely is not Earth!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 13, 2009
RK are you off your rocker? 12am is midnight. Easiest way is to use a 24 hour clock instead of AM and PM. So 12 midnight = 00.00!

You're an adult and you're asking these basic questions?

Did they not teach YOU basic time calculations at school?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 13, 2009

12 noon is 12pm because it is the start of the afternoon. It would make no sense to write 12:00 am then 12:01 pm, and obviously 12:01 is pm because it is in the afternoon, not the morning.

The new millenium started on 01 January 2000.
Current millenium runs from 01 January 2000 to 31 December 2999 (1000 years).
Previous millenium was from 01 January 1000 to 31 December 1999 (1000 years).
And before that 01 January 0000 to 31 December 999 (1000 years).

Otherwise which millenium did 01 January - 31 December 0000 AD belong to?

Current century from 01 January 2000 to 31 December 2099.
Current decade from 01 January 2000 to 31 December 2009.

And so on.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 13, 2009
WRONG !! WRONG !!! WRONG!!

1 minute past noon MUST be 12:01 AM ....because the AM refers to the TWELVE !!

HOW THE HELL CAN 12:59 PM BE FOLLOWED A MINUTE LATER BY 1 PM ?? THAT IS STUPID!!

The NEW millennium started on JANUARY 1st 2001 !!!!

BECAUSE IT STARTS WITH ONE!!!! 0 REFERS TO TEN !! DO YOU COUNT........10,1,2,3,4 ???????

2000 YEARS OF THE PREVIOUS 2 MILLENNIA WERE COMPLETE on DEC 31st 2000..........AT MIDNIGHT!!......or 12 PM!!

I SAID THAT HALF THE WORLD WERE INNUMERATE AND ILLOGICAL !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 13, 2009
RedKite wrote:WRONG !! WRONG !!! WRONG!!

1 minute past noon MUST be 12:01 AM ....because the AM refers to the TWELVE !!

HOW THE HELL CAN 12:59 PM BE FOLLOWED A MINUTE LATER BY 1 PM ?? THAT IS STUPID!!

The NEW millennium started on JANUARY 1st 2001 !!!!

BECAUSE IT STARTS WITH ONE!!!! 0 REFERS TO TEN !! DO YOU COUNT........10,1,2,3,4 ???????

2000 YEARS OF THE PREVIOUS 2 MILLENNIA WERE COMPLETE on DEC 31st 2000..........AT MIDNIGHT!!......or 12 PM!!

I SAID THAT HALF THE WORLD WERE INNUMERATE AND ILLOGICAL !!

You need a new keyboard. Your capslock key and punctuation keys are sticky.

You didn't answer my question.

AM refers to morning, PM to afternoon. Not to the number that precedes them.

AM means ante meridiem or before noon. PM means post meridiem or after noon. 12:01 is after noon hence 12:01 PM.
bonk

Oct 13, 2009

This one is funny, RK just use military time "24 hrs system" in there you wont get lost. 12:00 is Noon and 00:00 is Midnight

Also a millenium or decade is counted as 0 to 9 not from 1 to 10.
So 1 decade is equal to 1990 to 1999. as to Millenium is equal to 2000 to 2999.

Always consider 0 as a start number and 9 is the end number, coz arithmetically these are the basic of number. so on are just added and combination of these numbers.
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 14, 2009
Portland,
You are WRONG!!

2000 years is two millennia....because that's what it MEANS! Numbers do NOT START at 0 . They start at ONE

1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6, 7,8, 9 TEN!!! The 0 comes from TEN!! 10 years is a decade . 100 years is a century..........you are SAYING 99 YEARS IS A CENTURY !!
1000 years is a millennium [ with 2 Ns .......even your N is missing from your millennium!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 14, 2009
Bonk,
Nothing wrong with my keyboard, bonk .......it is IMPOSSIBLE TO SHOUT IN PRINT,,,,,,,,,,,because the printed word emanates NO SOUND AT ALL!!
More LOGICAL PHYSICS FOR YOU !!
You are HEARING THINGS if you can hear a noise here. Check with your doctor! Can you HEAR WITH YOUR EYES??

How the hell can you book a taxi between 12 pm and 1pm and consider it to be ONE HOUR!! You would have to be BONK....ers !!!

How can you have 10 AM , 11 AM , 12PM , 1PM , 2PM consecutively ???? what sort of LOGIC is that??

So many people are confused by simple LOGIC that they refer to middday as 12 NOON ......because they are semi-numerate people!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 14, 2009
Bonk/Portland..

Go on ! Explain how 11 AM is followed by 11.59 AM , 59 minutes later and then by 12.00PM a minute later .
Then explain how 12.59 PM is followed ONE MINUTE LATER by 1.00PM !!! Explain it LOGICALLY and MATHEMATICALLY......because Maths is an EXACT SCIENCE , not WAFFLE like the Arts !!

I studied A-level maths.
I had 95 per cent in my O-Level Geometry paper in the 1960s when marking was TOUGH and there was no continual assessment or cheating with computers, like today.
If what you have said is common-sense, I must be Attila the Hun!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 14, 2009
Gotcha Bonk !!

There was NO YEAR 0000AD EVER in history !!

Find a record of it !! How can you have a year NOUGHT , when nought is NOTHING? Did you have a "Year nothing"??

For a start, the Romans did not even have the concept of 0 as a number. They wrote 10 as X and 100 as C.

Dates , according to Christ's time.......were written LONG AFTER his death.
So 1 BC or 1 year Before Christ was not used as a date until much later than Christ's time.

1AD means Anno Domini ........IN the FIRST YEAR OF OUR LORD.

He was not actually born on December 25th at all , he was born in summer.

Dec 25th celebration comes as a CONTINUANCE of the pre-Christian festival to celebrate the LENGTHENING DAY ...after the SHORTEST DAY OF DECEMBER 21st !!

Lengthening days are what mattered to early man........long before Christianity or Judaism ..........THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE!!

Hence Stonehenge has been designed to get the light of the shortest day in the back of the chamber. Lengthening days and LIGHT are what early man celebrated.

The religious word LENT comes from the German for "Lengthening days" which you have in February, when days lengthen rapidly..

But since the birth of Jesus is taken as Dec 25th,,,,,,,at the end of a year........the year after is 1AD ....the "first year of our Lord". But that was designated much later in history. There was a different calendar at the time.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 14, 2009
RedKite wrote:Bonk,
Nothing wrong with my keyboard, bonk .......it is IMPOSSIBLE TO SHOUT IN PRINT,,,,,,,,,,,because the printed word emanates NO SOUND AT ALL!!
More LOGICAL PHYSICS FOR YOU !!
You are HEARING THINGS if you can hear a noise here. Check with your doctor! Can you HEAR WITH YOUR EYES??

How the hell can you book a taxi between 12 pm and 1pm and consider it to be ONE HOUR!! You would have to be BONK....ers !!!

How can you have 10 AM , 11 AM , 12PM , 1PM , 2PM consecutively ???? what sort of LOGIC is that??

So many people are confused by simple LOGIC that they refer to middday as 12 NOON ......because they are semi-numerate people!!

First, you need to learn netiquette. Google it!! Cap letters are, in netiquette, considered as "yelling". Just Google: netiquette, "yelling on the internet" and READ.

Here's a watch I bought for you:

but if you find it too heavy to wear you can use this:

You really need to shut up because you are making an a$$ out of yourself. Toddlers can tell time better than you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 14, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Toddlers can tell time better than you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RK, you're making too much noise for me to figure out what you're saying now.
bonk

Oct 15, 2009
Bonk and Bora twice,

Bora,
You pick on my capitals and so-called "netiquette "......and WHO invented that ? Which commandment is that ?
You mention it because you have no answer to LOGICAL NUMERACY.so you change the subject, like all people do when they have no answers to logical argument.

Then hypocritically you dole out your insults whilst referring to etiquette.
Don't you see your crass hypocrisy? Where is YOUR "net etiquette" ??

Bonk,
NO , you DON'T " follow me" and CANNOT answer because you do not understand time and calendars in the first place.

You have just said that :-
[1] Numbers run ........0,1.,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 ..........when they clearly logically run 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
And TEN years makes a decade !
Why is this item not Number [0] then? Why is it number [1] ? Because it is the FIRST point, not the NOUGHT point!!

0 is NOTHING and you cannot have a number nothing.
The Romans had NO CONCEPT of ZERO , which is why they had NO NUMBER even to represent it. TEN is X in Roman Numerals . HUNDRED is C . There is no NOUGHT.....no ZERO !!

[2] You are telling me there was a year called 0000AD ......Absolute TOSH!! No such year ever existed and it could not, because ZERO is NOTHING and you cannot have a "YEAR NOTHING"

1BC was followed by 1AD .......In other words 1 year BEFORE CHRIST was followed by 1 AD ....1 ANNO DOMINI ......"THE FIRST YEAR OF OUR LORD". But these dates were not set until much later in history , because WHEN CHRIST WAS A CHILD THEY DID NOT KNOW WHO HE WAS .........OBVIOUSLY........SO HE DID NOT LEND HIS NAME TO CALENDARS AT THE TIME !!
[3] How can 10 AM, 11AM , 12PM , 1PM ,2PM be a logical time sequence ?
That is why so many WAFFLE and use 12 NOON.

First there was a Julian Calendar . Then 10 days was removed and "lost" and the present Gregorian Calendar was adopted . In the Gwaun Valley in Pembrokeshire , they still celebrate " Yr Hen Galan" ....the "Old New Year " on January 10th every year, which would be New Year's Day according to the old Julian Calendar.

Arabs have a calendar based on the Prophet Mohammed's date of birth ,centuries after Jesus, do they not?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 15, 2009
yesss
prasanga077
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 15, 2009

Ok so this is the crux of the issue.

RedKite wrote:You have not scored a century in cricket when you've hit 99 . So how can a Millennium finish at the end of 1999 ??

And here's where you answer the question you raised.

Lets take an example

Assuming

11:59 pm = 99

then

12.00 = 100

If 12:00 = 100 then 12:00 must be AM

The flaw ur making is

11:59 PM = 99

12:00 PM = 100

By that logic you contradict the (second quoted) point that ur making. Cuz you said that 100 is a century not 101!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 15, 2009
OK, anyone trying to explain "TIME" to him is talking to a wall. If he doesn't know how to tell time by now, then it's a hopeless cause trying to teach it to him. Go teach it to a 5 year old, who will grasp the concept alot faster.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 15, 2009
12 noon is 12 am and 12 midnight is 12 pm... correct me if I am wrong.
coolpista
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 15, 2009
coolpista wrote:12 noon is 12 am and 12 midnight is 12 pm... correct me if I am wrong.

Its the other way around. 12 AM is midnight until 11:59 AM, a minute later it becomes 12 PM and 11 hours and 59 minutes later, a minute later its 12 Noon, which is 12 PM until 11:59 PM then a minute later it starts over (12 AM).
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oct 15, 2009
I love it - at last a thread full of Kak & splitting hairs

here is my take on it

Going back to RK's position

time in retrospect re: Milleniums, started year 1 (by the Gregorian Calendar) on 01/01/0000 and ended 23:59:99.999999999 31/12/0000

therein is the linguistic stumble that screws everyone up - the numerical designation of the date and the verbal statement of first year

So the first period was 1 year and the calendar then works like an abacus where the 'year' counter is the full year period that preceded the current date

thus on 31/12/1999 23:59:99.99999999 we celebrated the conclusion of measuring 2000 time slots of 1 year in length because right after that our year counter stated 2000 and additional parts thereof

HOWEVER

the great giant heads that started this all off did not comprehend the idea of zero, elegantly 'borrowed' from the Assyrians (Iraqis) and started counting from 1 this is called Ordinal, argument being how can i count no fingers !!!

Science bods take the now common logical approach and begin at zero this is the Cardinal method.

Jeez all this to arrive at the fact that actually both are correct

My view? the millenia run 1 - 1000 1001 - 2000 2001 - 3000 and so on because the name describes the thousand years inclusive, if you have no sense of history then 31/12/1999 was the correct time to celebrate - as it happens we all had the flu so did not give a flying hoot ......
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 15, 2009
Now get your heads around this ...

If you believe in quantum physics the point in time that you are attempting described does not exist - only time before and time after the event exists

so 23:59:99.9999999999999 is the time slot before "midnight" and described as PM

and 00:00:00.000000000001 is the time slot after "midnight is described as AM

but the exact time 00:00 does not exist as either AM or PM

Sorry BB but your alarm clock contravenes the laws of Physics

Midnight and Midday/Noon have no AM or PM value :)
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 15, 2009
RK, ignore this post, I have a version for you in the next post.

My mistake.

Calendar

1. There is no year 0 in the Julian and Gregorian calendars which are what most people are familiar with (in the west at least).
2. There is a year 0 in astronomical calendars (because of my background I was thinking along these lines).
3. Decades run from 01 January xxx0 to 31 December xxx9. The first decade was only 9 years because of the absence of year 0.
4. Centuries run from 01 January xx01 to 31 December xx00.
5. Millennia run from 01 January x001 to 31 December x000.

So yes, it was incorrect to celebrate the end of the 20th century and 2nd millennium on 31 December 1999, we should have waited until 31 December 2000. But the end of the decade was 31 December 1999. No wonder there is confusion and argument.

Time

Since AM and PM refer to before and after noon, 12am means midnight (12 hours before noon) but 12pm could also means midnight (12 hours after noon). Obviously that doesn't make sense so the correct way is to write 12 noon and 12 midnight. But by convention most people understand 12am to mean midnight and 12pm to mean midday.

11:59am is 1 minute before midday
12:01pm is 1 minute after midday

11:59 pm is 1 minute before midnight
12:01 am is 1 minute after midnight

With a 12am noon and 12pm midnight we'd have the following time sequences which looks clumsy

11:59am - 12:00 am - 12:01 pm
11:59pm - 12:00 pm - 12:01 am

A 24 hour clock avoids this confusion - 00:00 is the start of a new day at midnight, 12:00 is midday, and 24:00 is the end of a day at midnight.
bonk

Oct 15, 2009
THIS VERSION FOR RK (SAME AS PREVIOUS POST BUT TRANSLATED TO RKSPEAK)!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!

MY MISTAKE!!!!!!!?????????????

CALENDAR!!!!!!!?????????????

1. THERE IS NO YEAR 0 IN THE!!!!!!!????????????? JULIAN AND GREGORIAN CALENDARS WHICH ARE WHAT MOST PEOPLE ARE FAMILIAR WITH (IN THE WEST !!!!!!!?????????????AT LEAST).
2. THERE IS A YEAR 0 IN ASTRONOMICAL CALENDARS (BECAUSE OF!!!!!!!????????????? MY BACKGROUND I WAS THINKING ALONG THESE LINES).!!!!!!!?????????????
3. DECADES RUN FROM 01 JANUARY XXX0 TO 31 DECEM!!!!!!!?????????????BER XXX9. THE FIRST DECADE WAS ONLY 9 YEARS BECAUSE OF THE ABSENCE OF YEAR 0.!!!!!!!?????????????
4. CENTURIES RUN FROM !!!!!!!?????????????01 JANUARY XX01 TO 31 DECEMBER XX00.
5. MILLENNIA RUN FROM 01 JANUARY X001 !!!!!!!?????????????TO 31 DECEMBER X000.

SO !!!!!!!?????????????YES, IT WAS INCORRECT TO CELEBRATE THE END OF THE 20TH !!!!!!!?????????????CENTURY AND 2ND MILLENN!!!!!!!?????????????IUM ON 31 DECEMBER 1999, WE SHOULD HAVE WAITED UNTIL 31 DECEMBER 2000. BUT THE END OF THE DECADE WA!!!!!!!?????????????S 31 DECEMBER 1999. NO WONDER THERE IS CONFUSION AND ARGUMENT.

TIM!!!!!!!?????????????E

SINCE AM AND PM REFER T!!!!!!!?????????????O BEFORE AND AFTER NOON, 12AM MEANS !!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!?????????????MIDNIGHT (12 HOURS BEFORE NOON) BUT 12PM COULD ALSO MEANS MIDNIGHT (12 HOURS AFTER NOON). OBVIOUSL!!!!!!!?????????????Y THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE SO THE CORRECT WAY !!!!!!!?????????????IS TO WRITE 12 NOON AND 12 MIDNIGHT. BUT BY CONVENTION MOST PEOPLE UNDERSTAND 12AM TO MEAN !!!!!!!?????????????MIDNIGHT AND 12PM TO MEAN MIDDAY.

11:59AM IS 1 !!!!!!!?????????????MINUTE BEFORE MIDDAY
12:01PM IS 1 MINUTE !!!!!!!?????????????AFTER MIDDAY

11:59 PM IS 1 MINUTE BEFORE MIDNIGHT!!!!!!!?????????????
12:01 AM IS !!!!!!!?????????????1 MINUTE AFTER MIDNIGHT

WITH A 12AM NOON AND 12PM MIDNIGHT !!!!!!!?????????????WE'D HAVE THE FOLLOWI!!!!!!!?????????????NG TIME SEQUENCES !!!!!!!?????????????WHICH LOOKS CLUMSY

11:59AM - 12:00 AM - 12:01 !!!!!!!?????????????PM
11:59PM - 12:00 PM - 12:01 AM!!!!!!!?????????????

A 24 HOUR CLOCK AVOIDS THIS CONFUSION - 00:00 IS !!!!!!!?????????????THE START OF A NEW DAY AT MIDNIGHT, 12:00 IS MIDDAY, AND 24:00 IS THE END OF A DAY AT MIDNIGHT.!!!!!!!?????????????
bonk

Oct 15, 2009
Wow, some people have time on their hands. LOL
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 15, 2009
As Basil Brush used to say ...

"Boom boom"

:)
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 16, 2009
viking-warrior wrote:As Basil Brush used to say ...

"Boom boom"

:)

Mr Derrick

:lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 16, 2009
Remember the original Capt Pugwash ? My favourite

Fantastic :lol:
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 16, 2009