A Little Warning Message.

Topic locked
A little warning message. Jan 23, 2006
Hi all

Living in dubai has made us all carefree not being cautious for little things cause it is amazingly secure and crime free. The purpose of this post is to warn all of you against little stealing that takes place and I believe is happening too much these days.
Here are few cases that happened recently around me!

1. Today my maid went to the bank to send money to her home. And somebody pinched dhs 100 she kept on the desk right in front of her while she was filling the form. The camera’s were on, and the security was unable to identify him.

2. My granny left her cellphone and while trying to locate the phone we called the no. up. A voice answers saying “I found the phone, now its mine” !
(I know its not stealing, but where is the humanity?)

3. My cousin keeps a lot of cash in her purse because she is in Dubai solely for shopping and she’s been theft twice. Once from a shopping mall. Her loss was 4000 + 2000 dhs of cash, some gold, cell phone….

4. some cash from my mommys purse was taken while she was shopping in one of the local souqs.

5. On Eid’s day, someone pinched cash from a worker who works for my dad.

Also, Mobil, credit card theft is growing in this region. Be alert guys, good luck.

easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 23, 2006
another ahmed bin abdullah :P

Thanks for warning message but we always keep credit cards :wink:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 23, 2006
I think you are right, being in a safe place doesn't mean to lose the little caution we take in normal situations.

We are in a country with people here to make money and alot of poor people so we don't put money in front of them or have a sign saying "rob us" and say it is unsafe place.

It is safe, but we still need to be cautios and employ logic in our lives.

Cheers all
Stay safe
yshimy

Jan 23, 2006
Good post EJ
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 23, 2006
Well how nuts can you be to carry that amount of cash on you anywhere in the world? It's an open invitation where ever you are.

Also people are far too trusting of others in this place, so many stories of people offering to help, say if you have car trouble, then taking advantage.

Always be careful. And if you have to carry cash I have two words - MONEY BELT!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 23, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Also people are far too trusting of others in this place, so many stories of people offering to help, say if you have car trouble, then taking advantage.

Always be careful. And if you have to carry cash I have two words - MONEY BELT!

Yeah the far too trusting was one of the most appealing things to me about Dubai, where else in the world can you give a guy AED 10 to clean your car and leave, when you come back to your car it is actually clean!!

Sadly though the reality is this is not always the case, like anywhere there are bad people and I'm guilty of getting slack and overly trusting it was only until I got robbed that i started to me more cautious.

As for cash although rapidly changing many still don't believe in credit cards so there are a lot of people, especially the older generation that pay for everything in cash.

I feel for you EJ, life sux sometimes (btw flicked means throw money at, you may have meant pinched ;)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jan 23, 2006
Man that sucks... :x

I would have thought Dubai was more trustworthy than that... But the amount of poor people here can make you go hmmm more than once.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 23, 2006
As for cash although rapidly changing many still don't believe in credit cards so there are a lot of people, especially the older generation that pay for everything in cash.

I assure you this old dear has the use of a credit card down to a fine tuned art!! :lol:

Nice post Eastern Jewel-it pays to be vigilant and not lulled into a false sense of security.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2006
GAB wrote:

I assure you this old dear has the use of a credit card down to a fine tuned art!! :lol:

Nice post Eastern Jewel-it pays to be vigilant and not lulled into a false sense of security.

Hahahaha exceptions to every rule, Where are Betty and Wilma to yell "Charge IT!!!" when you need them.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jan 23, 2006
is carelessnes in your family genes and its getting spread 2..........coz cmon all ma life i didnt get stolen but ofcourse if u r careless and leave things around,,,,,,u wont get it.....theres a famous saying

"Finder keepers, Losers weepers".......so try not to be a loser :D
aduberdu
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2006
aduberdu wrote:is carelessnes in your family genes and its getting spread 2..........coz cmon all ma life i didnt get stolen but ofcourse if u r careless and leave things around,,,,,,u wont get it.....theres a famous saying

"Finder keepers, Losers weepers".......so try not to be a loser :D

Its been 17years in Dubai, never experienced nything of that sort before, and all those cases took place just very recent.. so basically my genes transformed eh?

Thanx fayz for the correction, I dont know what I was thinking Lol.

Your right choco, it is best to carry plastic money.. but you know, shops in local markets do not accept cr. cards!
easternjewel

Jan 23, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
Also people are far too trusting of others in this place, so many stories of people offering to help, say if you have car trouble, then taking advantage.
!

what about it ? :shock:
easternjewel

Jan 23, 2006
I will keep my eyes open -------> :shock:
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 23, 2006
ok having second thoughts now...just kidding!! when i move their i'll keep an eye out and get my hand bag ready to do the beats :P
tinkerbella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2006
easternjewel wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
!

There was a recent incident where a Brit lady had a problem with a driver, she got out of the car and was having an argument with him. Some locals came to see what the problem was and offered to give her a lift - Doh! The woman went with them and ended up getting raped, after which the guys just put her in a cab and sent her home - WTF! No excuse for their actions, but how dumb can you be to get in a car with total strangers? Heard a few incidents of this, others where people were robbed.

A few years ago some friends of my fathers were out in one of the other emirates, when they had car trouble, again a bunch of locals offered to help - if they could sleep with the girl - WTF! Luckily the older national with the group fixed their car and told them to get the hell out of there before the others started harrassing them.

There's been a spate of robberies in Mirdiff, the Springs and Gardens. People used to be able to leave houses, cars etc unlocked - not any more. Sad to say that some people get tempted, best not to leave temptation in their face, even if you have a maid, put all valuables away.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 24, 2006
My brazier was stolen last friday in the greek park :evil:
Pals
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 24, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
easternjewel wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
!

There was a recent incident where a Brit lady had a problem with a driver, she got out of the car and was having an argument with him. Some locals came to see what the problem was and offered to give her a lift - Doh! The woman went with them and ended up getting raped, after which the guys just put her in a cab and sent her home - WTF! No excuse for their actions, but how dumb can you be to get in a car with total strangers? Heard a few incidents of this, others where people were robbed.

A few years ago some friends of my fathers were out in one of the other emirates, when they had car trouble, again a bunch of locals offered to help - if they could sleep with the girl - WTF! Luckily the older national with the group fixed their car and told them to get the hell out of there before the others started harrassing them.

There's been a spate of robberies in Mirdiff, the Springs and Gardens. People used to be able to leave houses, cars etc unlocked - not any more. Sad to say that some people get tempted, best not to leave temptation in their face, even if you have a maid, put all valuables away.

ok u r rite a woman should avoid lift from a stranger but wat u will say about his woman ?

HP Gal who was raped and kill by the cab driver :

http://gawai.netfirms.com/hp.htm
emadullah
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 24, 2006
emadullah wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
easternjewel wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
!

ok u r rite a woman should avoid lift from a stranger but wat u will say about his woman ?

HP Gal who was raped and kill by the cab driver :

http://gawai.netfirms.com/hp.htm

What about her? She had a problem, some guys offered to help and took advantage of the situation - that's it! She should have got into a car with strangers, no-one should.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 25, 2006
i think u did not go through the link....it says "
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Alok Kumar said the driver, Shiv Kumar, had confessed to raping and murdering the woman after he picked her up from her house for night duty.

"Instead of taking her to the office in electronics city, the company's driver took her to Anjanapura on the outskirts of Bangalore and raped her around 3 a.m. Tuesday," Alok Kumar told IANS.

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/dec162005/update12182920051216.asp

2. A 24-year-old woman working in a Bangalore call centre was murdered allegedly by the driver of a vehicle leased by her employer, a senior police official said on Friday.

http://ia.rediff.com/news/2005/dec/16call.htm?q=np&file=.htm

3. A young woman working in a call centre was allegedly raped and brutally murdered by the company's driver, police said on Friday accusing the multinational of not providing security to women on night duty.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1575119,0006.htm

he was not stranger but a company driver....am i rite ?
emadullah
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 28, 2006
2. My granny left her cellphone and while trying to locate the phone we called the no. up. A voice answers saying “I found the phone, now its mine” !

Yeah it IS stealing, I hope you called the police because they would almost certainly be able to trace the person.

Just because you lose something doesn't give someone else the right to pick it up and use it.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 29, 2006
yes this is so true !!! duabi is not as safe of a country anymore ... so lesson .. once someone steals from you learn from it !!!! lets keep this simple before it get sidetract to something totally exagerated and scare tourist away !!!!

TAKE CARE OF YOUR BELONGINGS !!! and DONT BE RIDE WITH STRANGERS!!!!
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2006
secretdubai wrote:

Yeah it IS stealing, I hope you called the police because they would almost certainly be able to trace the person.

Just because you lose something doesn't give someone else the right to pick it up and use it.

na, just said 'Innellah'hi'wa innal rajiun' :roll:
easternjewel

Jan 22, 2007
easternjewel wrote:
na, just said 'Innellah'hi'wa innal rajiun' :roll:

do u know the meaning of that
emadullah
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 23, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:

If someone said this in front of my missus dishdashes would have to go from bright white to claret red with a bit of help from the wheel brace in the boot of the car.

Sure a Women should not be so daft to get in a car with strangers - but the shits should not be rapping people at the end of the day.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jan 23, 2007
my heart was stolen a few hours ago.
I still havent got it back :[
mighty.one
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 23, 2007
My benetton pink wallet was stolen inside the supermarket. My pink wallet inside my handbag, i put the handbag inside the trolley (which is less than 1 foot rule away from me) while i was trying to reach household items displayed so high in the shelves. When i turned back to check on my vibrating mobile, i noticed my handbag is already open and my pink wallet is gone! :cry:

As per the supermarket security camera, it's the lady in abaya who opened my bag and stole my pink wallet. How can we noticed the person? Her face is covered. :cry:

All important IDs, ATM Card, Insurance & Social Security ID, and amount of cash (it was salary day you know) are inside my wallet including my PATAKA and my one & only hsbc mastercard. :cry:

I reported everything to the Police and I am back at one in terms of securing necessary requirements to have those IDs and Cards again. :cry:

If only I am tall enough then maybe i can reach the items without putting my handbag in the trolley. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't be too trusting.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 23, 2007
I'd like to add to this thread by posting a positive story which happened last week.

I was out at Mall of Emirates with my cousin, her husband and their two young kids (4 & 18mths).

After lunch we went to Baskin Robins for Ice Cream. After getting our ice cream we proceeded to the car to go back to their home. At home my cousin realised that her 'Gucci' purse was missing. We guessed that she must have left the purse on the counter at Baskin Robins (with kids to look after and plenty of shopping bags i guess it was easy to do...?). We called the shop but they had no idea of what we were talking about so her husband and i drove back to MoE to look around and report to Management the lost purse.

We thought it was gone forever!! So my cousin proceeded to cancel her credit cards, both Australian and Local.

The next day they received a call from the HSBC bank informing them that someone had found her purse. The bank put her in touch with the gentleman. Her husband went to pick the wallet up. The purse was untouched. All cards and money was still inside (she had 1800dhms).

Needless to say that the guy that found the purse received a nice reward.

HOW GOOD IS THAT?!!?! UNBELIEVABLE!!!
SNA33Y
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 23, 2007
:D
SNA33Y
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 23, 2007
The only pain is now she has to wait for all the banks to issue the cards again. Once cancelled they need to issue nwe ones.

Her husband sees this as a blessing in disguise. Limits her spending. So he's happy.

:)
SNA33Y
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat