Wasting Water While It's Raining

Topic locked
Wasting water while it's raining Mar 26, 2009
The sheer stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

I'm walking the doggy this morning and these guys are literally hosing down the outisde of their villa, whilst it's chucking it down with rain.

I told them that it will be like this for the next few days and they're better off using a broom to sweep the sand away, instead of wasting water. They simply said the owner doesn't understand! Well geez someone explain it to them!

Never have a seen so much water being wasted in a place that has a shortage of it, where do these people think it comes from?

I dispair sometimes I really do!

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2009
Don;t worry Chocs, they'll switch off some lights for an hour to show the world just how enviromentally friendly Dubai is..... what a joke.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 26, 2009
Hey Choco u've mirrored my thoughts!
But I ain't gonna preach, I'm just as guilty!
Yesterday thanx to the weather my cars got really dusty, so I took em 2 ADNOC for a wash, the minute I'm outa the carwash, my cars get messed up again, it was really windy n all yeaterday. So I ask the watchman to wash them cars for me. Come nightfall,n my cars were still al dirty and dusty.... So this mornin I ask the watchman to wash em cars again.
By now I've kinda realised my folly though! N I have to say that it's nuts like me who are the bane of our enviroment!
Maybe u shld start a post where u give people suggestions how to lead more enviromentally efficient lives.....
Here in the UAE, sadly we all have rather large carbon footprints!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Wasting water while it's raining Mar 26, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:The sheer stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

I'm walking the doggy this morning and these guys are literally hosing down the outisde of their villa, whilst it's chucking it down with rain.

I told them that it will be like this for the next few days and they're better off using a broom to sweep the sand away, instead of wasting water. They simply said the owner doesn't understand! Well geez someone explain it to them!

Never have a seen so much water being wasted in a place that has a shortage of it, where do these people think it comes from?

I hear where you are coming from choc's: but at the end of the day, the guy who owns the villa (I assume a villa here) is paying for the water, at probs a vastly reduced rate, so why should he care?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

yorky500 wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:The sheer stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

I hear where you are coming from choc's: but at the end of the day, the guy who owns the villa (I assume a villa here) is paying for the water, at probs a vastly reduced rate, so why should he care?

That's the whole point I think. People here only care about saving water to save on expenses. They don't understand the concept of saving water for the sake of WATER itself. As long as it's free or inexpensive, then no one cares.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2009
MLC, I just have to say to you - LOOK AT THE WEATHER REPORT!!!

It's going to be crappy like this for the next week, so don't bother washing your cars till next weekend.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2009
This is interesting. What I want to know is what a cubic meter (m3) of water will cost you in Dubai. Anyone?

Desalination plants are quite expensive and the UAE already had a reputation back in 2004 of being the worlds third largest user of water per capita. No 1 desalinated water users are found in Saoudi Arabia. Forecasts say that Dubai will be the largest desalinated user in 2025.

Thank you in advance.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 26, 2009
These guy's are investing big bucks in desalination plants. I think DEWA has aldready started work on a plant that promises to be the world's largest desalination plant!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2009
Australia (the second driest continent behind Antarctica) used to be like this with our water. Everyone would wash their cars with the hose, squirt down their driveways, industry would use water without thinking and irrigators thought they could pump as much as they wanted out of the river systems.

Then the water started to dry up. We had a few big droughts and suddenly major cities with millions of people found that their reservoirs were hitting as low at 15% capacity. So things started to change. We introduced regulations saying you can't hose the drive or car (wash car with buckets instead) and we pushed water-saving showerheads and toilets. In some cities they had restrictions where people could only water their gardens every other day, or only on tuesdays or something, and for some cities no watering at all until the situation improved.

Water for farmers and factories became more expensive and suddenly people started to think about how much water they used, and how they could use less. It worked well, but we're still sh!tting ourselves about how to get enough water into the river systems again. We've still got a long way to go, but now people at least think about water, as opposed to 15-20 years ago when we thought there was more than enough for everyone.

If the UAE really wanted to I have no doubt they could cut their water use by 70-80% without disrupting things too much. There is so much wasted water it's not funny.

Off the top of my head:

* Water in the evenings and night not in the midday sun.
* Use mulch around plants to keep the water in.
* Plant hardier plants that need less water.
* Increase the cost of water to households so people pay attention to water use.
* Pass regulations about industrial use of water that encourages smarter water use.
* Recycle waste water for irrigation.

From the ads on the radio I've heard it seems the UAE is moving towards some of these measures, which is a good thing.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

As far as I heard from my relative water is free for locals in Dubai and electricity ~50%. They don't turn lights when they go out... So in common they don't care about environment at all...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 26, 2009
Most of the water here comes from desalination plants. So there's no shortage as long as they have gas or energy for the process. But think of the energy being wasted, even if it is RO.
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Red Chief wrote:As far as I heard from my relative water is free for locals in Dubai and electricity ~50%. They don't turn lights when they go out... So in common they don't care about environment at all...

If this is true, than all you expats out there are paying for the abundant use of the local residents. That is a very disturbing factor.

If a local really doesn't care about his usage in his grandeur villa and lets the light on all day long, or sprays his car three times a day to fill the daytime. Than all of you are paying his bills as costs rise.

Ever thought about that?

I don't like that at allll. And I'm not even living there yet....
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

It was a secret only for you. To be totally honest locals in Sharjah don't have water for free... I don't know about AD.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 27, 2009
It's raining it's pouring, the old man is snoring.
He gotta outta bed and bumped his head and couldn't get out of bed in the morning - hahahaha
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 27, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:It's raining it's pouring, the old man is snoring.
He gotta outta bed and bumped his head and couldn't get out of bed in the morning - hahahaha

Why u home on a thursday nite, woman? come down to the bar and drink yourself silly
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 27, 2009
gtmash wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:It's raining it's pouring, the old man is snoring.

Why u home on a thursday nite, woman? come down to the bar and drink yourself silly

I'm really shocked at you GT!!!!! :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 28, 2009
UAE residents are one of this highest consumers of water globally.
immortal01
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 28, 2009
wasting water in islam is not allowed ..lool

seriously its not allowed and those pple who wasted that water shall go to hell..lol

seriously choc if the pple u saw are locals then they are wasting water becuz they dont pay for it ..and they got it for free from the GOV but som1 must educate them to be conservative.. its sad realy sad ..the GOV spend alot of money for this wasted water ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 28, 2009
immortal01 wrote:UAE residents are one of this highest consumers of water globally.

I'm not surprised...
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 28, 2009
immortal01 wrote:UAE residents are one of this highest consumers of water globally.

It's true but not all truth. I guess it's included irrigation that is vital for palms, grass, bushes...

I don't think that ppl from Subcontinet (majority of residents) consume more watrer than Westeners.

As for wasting water and electricity by locals it's impossible to cut consumption without education but only threat of Hell...

At my point of view offering something for free is a bad idea.

If plastic bags in supermarkets cost some money (even 1 dirham) it would be very good for environment because most people would use the bags a few times...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 28, 2009
Red Chief wrote:

It's true but not all truth. I guess it's included irrigation that is vital for palms, grass, bushes...

I don't think that ppl from Subcontinet (majority of residents) consume more watrer than Westeners.

As for wasting water and electricity by locals it's impossible to cut consumption without education but only threat of Hell...

At my point of view offering something for free is a bad idea.

If plastic bags in supermarkets cost some money (even 1 dirham) it would be very good for environment because most people would use the bags a few times...

Air conditioners and chillers also waste a lot of water
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 28, 2009
I have a slowly dripping toilet that neither I nor the landlord's workmen can fix. I surely won't pay for a new one, and he won't, but I feel guilty about the waste, plus it costs me a little more each month to DEWA!

p.s.
During the rain, anyone stand outside with a bottle of shower soap? :P
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2009
Snow wrote:Air conditioners and chillers also waste a lot of water

I don't think so as soon as they have closed pipeline...

SH wrote:I have a slowly dripping toilet that neither I nor the landlord's workmen can fix.

I must agree that maintanance is a real problem here because personal from Subcontinent doesn't have a minimum technical
knowledge in common.

I was watching 15 minutes how my watchman was trying to unscrew some bushing in pipeline rotating clockwise with hummer....

After I indicated on his fault he dropped all instruments offering me to fix the problem.

So I'm not surprised...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 28, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
Snow wrote:Air conditioners and chillers also waste a lot of water

I don't think so as soon as they have closed pipeline...

SH wrote:I have a slowly dripping toilet that neither I nor the landlord's workmen can fix.

I must agree that maintanance is a real problem here because personal from Subcontinent doesn't have a minimum technical
knowledge in common.

I was watching 15 minutes how my watchman was trying to unscrew some bushing in pipeline rotating clockwise with hummer....

After I indicated on his fault he dropped all instruments offering me to fix the problem.

So I'm not surprised...

Haha, anyone who tries to unscrew something clockwise needs his head screwed anticlockwise....he should only be sweeping streets.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat