TV System, Electricity, Uum Sequim,2nd-hand Cars & Hospi

Topic locked
TV system, electricity, Uum Sequim,2nd-hand cars & hospi Jan 22, 2006
Hi!

I have some more queries:

1. What TV system is used in UAE? PAL (European) or NSTC (USA, Japan, South America) Will my UK TV work over there?

2. What kind of electricity? Please, I need more details than the vwlts (no idea!), I mean, is it like in Europe, the US or UK? (I am talking about plugs) I need to know if I can bring any electric appliances.

3. My husband will be working in Umm Sequim, is that near Jumeirah? What is near? Which areas are nice to live in and close to it? How far is the American Hospital from there?

4. How is the second-hand car market? Is there plenty on offer? is it expensive? Which is the best way to buy a second hand car? Are there any special classified papers or magazines?

5. I need information about good hospitals to have a baby, where English would be widely spoken (or French or Spanish!)

Thanks a lot

J!

Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2006
1. PAL

2. 240v AC - same as UK and in many new appts/villa's even the same MK plug sockets as UK

3. Umm Seqquim is area between the Mall of the Emirates ( interchange 4 Shiek Z Road) and the Jumeira Beach Hotel/ Burj Arab hotels. Most of the area around there is very nice but in cases like Jumeira, very expensive. American hospital about 5 miles i think. But in rush hour phew
Jebel Ali hospital is nearer and quicker.

4. Loads and CHEAP. The main paper in dubai is
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/index00.asp

5. All the private hospitals are good and English is no problem.
If you use the search function most of your questions can be found and answered.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 23, 2006
Hey J,

1. TV system used here is PAL, yes your tv will work here.

2. Electricity used here is 220 volts 3 pin plugs. I think its 240 in London...but you can get voltage converters and plug socket converters at any electrical store here such as a Radio Shack.

3. Umm Suqeim is right next to Jumeirah. Most of Umm Suqeim and Jumeirah are residential areas which are nice to live in and close to the beach i.e. Jumeirah Beach and also close to malls. The Americal Hospital is about 20 to 45 mins (depending on traffic) away from Jumeirah.
Their website: http://www.ahdubai.com//site/locationmap.htm

4. There is a pretty decent sized second hand car market here. Many ads are posted daily in all the major local paper classifieds such as: Khaleej Times, Gulf News, Gulf Today.

5. All hospitals here speak English, not too sure about French or Spanish.

List of all hospitals (with tel #s and addresses):
http://nwapp.emirates.net.ae/channel/ye ... d=1&lang=E

And here is a good informative site for anyone travelling to Dubai:
http://www.dubaicityguide.com/essguides/useful_info.asp

I hope you found all this helpful. If you still have questions, fire away!

Cheers.
redbullny
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 23, 2006
Thanks Arniegang and Redbullny for your replies, they were very helpful!

I do have some more queries regarding the hospitals, although the list was extensive and very useful, I don't really know which hospitals are private and which ones are public (are foreigners entitled to public healthcare once they become residents?) or most importantly, if they are any good. I need to know which hospitals are renown for good obstetrics. Where do expats usually go to give birth? Do you know of anyone close who had had their babies there?

Another thing, someone who used to live in Abu Dhabi mentioned to me today that she knew of people who held a British Driving Licence but were not British (had a different passport) and had trouble exchanging their licence for a local one, so they had to retake the exam. Is that right?

Thanks!

J!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum