GPS System For UAE?

Topic locked
GPS system for UAE? Feb 24, 2009
I am pretty bad with roads. I can't remember them. It becomes quite difficult to travel to places in Dubai-Shj if i am on my own. Usually i would have to tag along someone to come to a place i don't know. And i hate to depend on someone. So i thought i would buy a GPS system/navigator.

I have zero knowledge of them and so am seeking help on this forum. Hope you guys can help me. Excuse me if i sound like a newbie!

I don't want a GPS system that i would have to install in my car. It should not be hell expensive. Maybe around say...700 Dhs? But we will see about the price later. The GPS system should have all the places in Dubai-Shj...like roads, hotels, landmarks, building names, etc. I am looking for the most complete one. It should also have regular updates. We all know how dynamic Dubai is.

Is there a GPS system that meets my requirements? Please help me out guys!

(I know this could be the wrong forum to post on. But it usually gets the highest views!)

small_cheese
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Feb 24, 2009
Portable GPS navigation units are available in all electornics stores, cheapest model probably being around 1000 Dhms. During the festival there was 1 advertised for 700 or so at Sharaf if I remember it correctly. They work pretty well but the maps are not totally up to date.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 24, 2009
If you're going to get one, get Gurmin! Maps not totally upto date however.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:If you're going to get one, get Gurmin! Maps not totally upto date however.

The woman means Garmin. Updating the maps each year will cost you 700 bucks each time, or you can download them illegally from the net, if you know where to look.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 24, 2009
Problem with GPS is if you are doing the booze run from Barracuda to Dubai GPS takes you straight through the centre of Sharjah (well it certainly did me recently) rather than Emirates Road.
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 24, 2009
Welcome to Dubai, Cheese!
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 25, 2009
I downoaded Garmin GmobileXT plus UAE/USA/UK maps onto my Nokia N95, works great. You can also use Mapsource software on your PC to make routes and upload them to your unit if you don't like the routes the GPS chooses for you.

Above is assuming some tech knowledge of how to look at/alter files on your Symbian S60 mobile phone.

Example (may need a little tinkering):
http://www.martin-gardner.co.uk/how-to- ... 5-n95-8gb/

It's possible on Windows Mobile phones as well, but I never did it with one.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum