Dubai Issues List Of Prohibited Public Behavior

Topic locked
Dubai issues list of prohibited public behavior Mar 17, 2009
Playing loud music, wearing short shirts, dancing, nudity, kissing and even holding hands in public are all considered inappropriate behavior under new guidelines laid down by the authorities of Dubai, according to a press report on Saturday.

The Dubai Executive Council issued a list of special standards governing public behavior that requires Dubai residents and visitors to respect the customs of the Muslim country and avoid what the council considers inappropriate behavior, the Arabic-language Emarat al-Youm reported.

The rules, which apply to all public places, include a ban on all forms of nudity, playing music loudly, dancing, kissing between men and women and unmarried couples holding hands.

In addition, the council ordered that anyone caught under the influence of alcohol—even a small amount—outside designated drinking areas would be fined or imprisoned.

Any breach of the guidelines, by nationals or expatriates, carries a possible prison penalty or deportation, the paper said, adding that the guideline have been distributed to governmental departments and private companies.

The order also requires all visitors of public places, such as government buildings, shopping malls, streets and restaurants to dress in “appropriate” clothing, otherwise they would be denied entrance.

“Pants and skirts have to be of appropriate length and outside clothing should not expose body parts indecently and should not be transparent,” the guidelines stipulate under section “public behavior.” Slogans or pictures considered "insulting" to any group or religion were also prohibited.

Conflicting reports

Nasser al-Hamali, the council spokesperson, refused to comment on the report.

"We are not authorized to give any interview now and do not have any comment on this issue. We don't care what is published in newspapers," he told "Let the press and the people talk."

But an official government source familiar with the matter who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter denied that such guidelines had been issued and said that if the report were true other newspapers would have received a copy of it.

Dubai, a member of the seven-emirate United Arab Emirates, has a diverse culture as it is home to a foreign population made up mainly of low-skilled workers from Asia and white-collar, mainly Western, professionals.

Unlike most of its neighbors in the conservative Gulf region, the emirate tolerates a relatively relaxed dress code and hosts dozens of hotels that have bars and clubs, where alcohol is legally served.

However, a series of incidents, including crackdowns on cross dressers and the expulsion of two British expats found guilty of having sex on the beach, has thrown the clash of local and foreign cultures in the limelight.

recca231
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 17, 2009
finaly.. a good thing
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 17, 2009
yes .. a good thing indeed but they should also put it on display in the travel agencies throughout the world. it is too late if you read it once you are in dubai.

But i never understood why the emirates tolerated belly dancing it is in brutal contradiction of their culture, this is a public exposure of females dancing in a very explicit exposure,half naked. i guess tourist money i what is sought after.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 17, 2009
naruto I made out with lokal girl yesterday just met in mall. What do u say abt that?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 17, 2009
If anyone wants a copy of the new code of conduct PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a PDF version
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 17, 2009
its a good decision...but not so sure abt 'holding hands'...meanin tht seems ok
mahira
Dubai Forum User

Mar 17, 2009
In addition, the council ordered that anyone caught under the influence of alcohol—even a small amount—outside designated drinking areas would be fined or imprisoned.

Awesome. I'm all for this law as soon as they invent a teleport to put outside the 'designated drinking areas' to teleport people home.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 17, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Awesome. I'm all for this law as soon as they invent a teleport to put outside the 'designated drinking areas' to teleport people home.

Once upon a time I used the teleport - Dubai taxi but probably by mistake it put me to the nearest police station in sleeping condition... 8) 8) 8)
They should advance the technology first...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 17, 2009
herve wrote:But i never understood why the emirates tolerated belly dancing it is in brutal contradiction of their culture, this is a public exposure of females dancing in a very explicit exposure,half naked. i guess tourist money i what is sought after.

Frankly, I've never been to a desert safari with my family ONLY because of the belly-dancing.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 17, 2009
gtmash wrote:
herve wrote:But i never understood why the emirates tolerated belly dancing it is in brutal contradiction of their culture, this is a public exposure of females dancing in a very explicit exposure,half naked. i guess tourist money i what is sought after.

Frankly, I've never been to a desert safari with my family ONLY because of the belly-dancing.

Whats wrong with Belly Dancing?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 17, 2009
herve wrote:yes .. a good thing indeed but they should also put it on display in the travel agencies throughout the world. it is too late if you read it once you are in dubai.

But i never understood why the emirates tolerated belly dancing it is in brutal contradiction of their culture, this is a public exposure of females dancing in a very explicit exposure,half naked. i guess tourist money i what is sought after.

Yes, quite bothering huh?
That's why I tell folks back home what Dubai really is and how it operates. That way I'm doing both them and dubai a favor; shattering the former's images of a modern, glittery dubai and helping the latter curb the culture-wrecking expat population.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 17, 2009
does it mean tht if i drink in a bar, i'm safe legally... 'coz it earns the govt. some taxes.
but the moment i step out of the bar, i'm getting into illegal activities?

n serious enough to be put in jail?

:shock:
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 17, 2009
in desert safari, we dance n drink as well..
i'm sure tht piece of land in the desert is not designated as area where alcohol is served legally..

so can i expect tht on the way back frm desert safari, instead of beingg dropped home, we all will be taken to the police station?

:twisted:
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 19, 2009
Can we dance in Dubai? i like to dance with the ladies
Webmartyr
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Mar 19, 2009
herve wrote:yes .. a good thing indeed but they should also put it on display in the travel agencies throughout the world. it is too late if you read it once you are in dubai.

lol nice one...it's all about the money.
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 19, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Whats wrong with Belly Dancing?

It is unIslamic. But if anyone wants their teenage kids to get boners, by all means, go ahead for a "family" trip.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 19, 2009
Rachel Brice is sensational. Pure Art!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2009
What? Even holding hands is prohibited in Dubai? Are you sure about that? Seems painful there. Why is the government make that kind of rules?
dodot
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2009
this place is getting smarter by the day. i mean by summer, half of the expat population will have left the city, rentals will hit the bottom and as somebody said on another forum, even the taxi drivers at the other end of the world know to stay away from here.

so lets bring back the good old fame of Dubai by jailing a few more westerners and issuing some laws that would put to shame a convent.

ya rabbi you were very stingy with some people when brain distribution was on order.
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat