New Visa Rules For UK Passports

Topic locked
New Visa rules for UK passports Aug 31, 2008
My mum arrived in Dubai about a week ago to visit (UK Passport holder) and was only given a 30 day visa on entry. On previous visits she had a 60 day visa so I was a bit surprised when I noticed that she only had 30 days (I was out of the country when the rules changed).

She wants to stay for a total of 50 days - does anyone know if and how I can get the visa extended?

newbod
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 31, 2008
No idea the new rules are so confusing. BEst call the immigration department.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 01, 2008
i think you can extend it for either 500 or 1000 dhs?
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: New Visa rules for UK passports Sep 01, 2008
newbod wrote:She wants to stay for a total of 50 days - does anyone know if and how I can get the visa extended?

Do an Oman visa renewal trip. It should still be good for UK passport holders.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 05, 2008
I've been told that I should be able to get it extended at the DNRD for 620 AED. I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.
newbod
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 08, 2008
Well that sucks that they change the rules. When I move to Dubai I am certainly going to invite people to come and see me. ONLY 30 days, is that some sort of joke!
scott909
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 08, 2008
scott909 wrote:Well that sucks that they change the rules. When I move to Dubai I am certainly going to invite people to come and see me. ONLY 30 days, is that some sort of joke!

If youa re coming to Dubai you had better get used to it - it happens all the time !!
newbod
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 09, 2008
I noticed that too on my passport?
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

visa renewal - U.K passport Sep 13, 2008
I have been advised if youhold a UK passport and are visiting when you are at immigration if you ask for a 60 day visa they may/can/will give you this stamp if they feel you are a ''genuine'' visitor but it's purely at their discretion........no idea if this works it's just something I have seen/been advised but not tried with friends/family of mine.
Cosmo
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Sep 14, 2008
There is also a 90 day visit visa available. Not sure how UK citizens get one - try asking on arrival?
bonk

Sep 14, 2008
You always used to get a 30 day stamp on a visit visa, but this was because the bodies at the passport control desk had not been issued with a '60 day' version. It was always valid for 60 anyway.

Went on a business trip a couple of weeks ago and came back into Sharjah...no change. 60 days stamp. No visa charges. Halas!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 14, 2008
My Italian girlfriend just entered Dubai a few days back and also received a 30 days stamp. She requested a 60 day at the passport control counter but was still only given a 30 day stamp. She was told that she would have no problem if she leaves within 60 days but I do not trust this info. It looks like she will have to go for a 30 day extension and pay the 500dhs or whatever it costs.
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008
Scratcher wrote:My Italian girlfriend just entered Dubai a few days back and also received a 30 days stamp. She requested a 60 day at the passport control counter but was still only given a 30 day stamp. She was told that she would have no problem if she leaves within 60 days but I do not trust this info. It looks like she will have to go for a 30 day extension and pay the 500dhs or whatever it costs.

I checked with my resident tame Immigration Department dude and he confirmed that EU, US, AUS and NZ passports will be stamped '30 days' but that it really means '60 days' and 'It is unlikely' that you would be penalised if you leave after 30 days. No need to waste the time and 500Dhs getting an extemsion you don't need.

Truth is, the Immigration boys don't know what the rules are exactly either!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 15, 2008
Thanks for the info DK.

But will they accept a visa run if the 30 days have been exceeded?
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008
If you do a visa run after expiry, you get fined. It was 100 dhs plus 100 dhs per day before visa changes. Probably still the same.
bonk

Sep 15, 2008
Scratcher wrote:Thanks for the info DK.

But will they accept a visa run if the 30 days have been exceeded?

Do the run to Hatta. They are very switched on at the Omani border now and they stamp you into and out of Oman at the same desk. No need to take your car over the border or have the insurance anymore.

I would advise doing it before the 30 days run out, then there is no chance of there being a fine.

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 15, 2008
Again, thanks for the info.
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2008
I went down to DNRD to try and get a definite answer.

I spoke to three different people (including one General) and was thankfully told the same answer.

Even though the stamp is for 30 days the system will show that all visitors from the relevant countries who arrived after 15th August will actually have a 60 day stay. This can also be extended by a further 30 days if required.

So basically the rules were changed back on August 15th. But where this leaves people who arrived between the end of July and August 15th is anyones guess.
newbod
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 29, 2008
The new rules are now being implemented in that visit visa's cannot now be renewed within 30 days of the last visit visa - this applies to all nationalities - the Oman visa runs are now technically finished and it is a possibility you wont get back in.
arniegang

Sep 30, 2008
Luckily I didnt try the Oman route for my mum's visa.

Went to DNRD and extended it for a further 30 days (total of 90 days) - the fees have gone up and they made us buy the medical insurance - but at least they did it.
newbod
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 30, 2008
Not sure this new rule announced yesterday (no more visa runs and no one can return back within 30 days of depature) whether it also applies to the 33 countries nationals who get a visa upon arrival. The announcement says "all nationalities" but that's not always the case. Anyone knows? If that's the case, that's really bad for businessmen (and women - don't want to anger any ladies!) who need to come here often.

As to your mum, glad to hear she got a total of 90 days, which means that 30 days visa she got on arrival was indeed valid for 60 days. I wish they would stamp such visas 60 days in the first place to avoid all this confusion!

Happy Eid to all :) !!
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 01, 2008
Tom Jones wrote:whether it also applies to the 33 countries nationals who get a visa upon arrival. The announcement says "all nationalities"

My guess would be, those nationalities can still do a visa run. Yes, it's never clear whether people who say "all nationalities" mean all, or all except the 33 (or 34) countries.
bonk

Oct 06, 2008
Hi, first post

My husband is working here for 6 months so I want to visit & pop back to uk every now & then. According to everything I have read in press etc I thought I could only stay for 30 days & would not be able to return for a month.I phoned the uae embassy & was told those rules don't apply to uk citizens. Knowing there is often conflicting advice I rang the British consulate & they confirmed that what I had been told is correct.
Hilbo
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 06, 2008
Hi Hilbo,

When say the rules don't apply to UK citizens, do you mean the rules reg. having to stay away 30 days after leaving the UAE, or the rules reg. the 30 days visa given upon arrival. Kindly clarify. Thx!
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 06, 2008
I believe this also applies to Canadian citizens. I've traveled twice within the past month and only received 30 days.
bridge
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 06, 2008
Tom Jones
My enquiry to both embassies was only the no return for a month rule, the 60 day part I assumed from previous posts. Apologies for any confusion.
Hilbo
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 06, 2008
Thanks Hilbo for the clarification.. No need for any apologies. That's an important piece of information for many people. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Tommy
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 06, 2008
Hello Bridge,

I know of 3 people, one is a Canadian, the other British and the third American who came on a visit last month, and they all got 30 days on arrival . The American called the DNRD and they told him although the stamp is for 30 days, he could stay up to to 60 days, and then he could stay a further 30 days if he renews for AED 620!
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

visa run Oct 06, 2008
Hi

As far as I can gather passports are stamped 30 days..but yes, 60 is probably allowed.

I did a visa run to Hatta last month and car insurance was definately required. Apart from that it was easy. I was given another 30 days.

This has now expired so I am not chancing it and flying to Kuwait tomorrow on another visa run as its a lot quicker than going to Hatta.

W
wasp
Dubai Forum Guest

New Visa Rules Oct 21, 2008
Confusion is the right word.
I have visited Dubai and Abu Dhabi fifteen times during the last six years.
My Canadian passport was always stamped 30 days which was good for 60 days. After that I pay 500 Dhm and get further 30 days and when I needed more time I go to Doha on a friday and return on the same day to repeat the cycle.
On 7th August I entered Abu Dhabi thinking the same rules remain in effect. When my 60 days finished, I went to the passport office paid 500 Dhm pluse 40 Dhms insurance. When I checked the 30 day sticker, I found that it was only 10 days. I was told that the new rules do not entitle me 30 days. On the 10th day and as I approached passport control at the airport, I was told that the main office made a mistake by granting me 10 days and I should pay a penalty for further 10 days. He took my passport to his superior and came back to worn me to be careful next time but he let me pass.
sdamak
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum