Rules In Getting A Maid? Any Update How Much?

Topic locked
rules in getting a maid? any update how much? Jan 29, 2009
Anyone have an update how much will need to spend for a maid from another country?

What are the requirements?

Thanks.

andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 01, 2009
Depends where are u getting the maid from...some countries like India, Sri Lanka have set a minimum pay and standards that we need to adhere to...or you can employ someone already in the country...u wud need to provide them with visa and accomodation as well...i have seen quite a few posts on another expat woman forum for very good experienced maids available...u can ask their current employers for the paper work involved which i feel wud b much easier rather than getting someone new!
tanzy80
Dubai Forums Member

Re: rules in getting a maid? any update how much? Feb 02, 2009
andrewg wrote:Anyone have an update how much will need to spend for a maid from another country?

What are the requirements?

Thanks.

You have also to pay the Authorities an amount of money per year for in order to allow you to employ a maid, the last time I checked it was Dhs. 4,800.00 this is in addition to all the other costs such as medical visas etc.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 03, 2009
If you're lucky you can share a maid with another household (maybe next door's or something). It's not legal though. Regular pay for a legal maid I think is still something like 1200-1500 Dhs per month (maybe bit more now), plus some paid holiday, a flight ticket home once a year, maybe a Christmas/New Year bonus and of course the new compulsory medical cover (which a lot of employers still ignore)! Also the Government fee as mentioned by sage&onion above. Sri Lankans are good IMO. As an aside, many maids I have spoken to are happer working for the British than any other nationality an you even see them advertising in the supermarket windows for a British family (I think the British a comparatively soft touch).
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 03, 2009
By the way if a maid knocks at your door asking for work check her out thoroughly (no, not like that..), some of them are on the run from previous emloyers for various reasons (not always their own fault but still mean they are illegally staying in the country) and you might be getting into problems.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum