Temporary Drivers License

Topic locked
temporary drivers license Jan 30, 2008
Can anyone tell me where to get a temporary drivers license for dubai? I've done the eye test and got pics done but nowhere on internet seems to say where to go to get it. I know its RTA but where are they, do they have branches etc? I live in bur dubai at moment so somewhere near there would be good, cheers.

duncheski
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2008
There is a branch in Deira, which is the m in branch. There is also another one next to the MOE
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 30, 2008
abarawakijess wrote:There is a branch in Deira, which is the m in branch. There is also another one next to the MOE

Muchas gracias! i heard it may be in deira city centre, i'll go with that, cheers.
duncheski
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: temporary drivers license Jan 30, 2008
duncheski wrote:Can anyone tell me where to get a temporary drivers license for dubai? I've done the eye test and got pics done but nowhere on internet seems to say where to go to get it. I know its RTA but where are they, do they have branches etc? I live in bur dubai at moment so somewhere near there would be good, cheers.

https://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/engli ... nlayid=196

it's got all the info you need on here...
mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 30, 2008
Make sure you take the following;

1. About 300Dhs
2. Your current licence
3. Your passport.
4. At least three passport photos.
5. Your glasses if you need them (eye test)
6. ..................................... Your sense of humour... You're going to need this more than any of the first five items.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 30, 2008
There's definitely one in Deira City Centre - it's a tiny little shop right down the end below the food court on the ground level - it's the last shop before you exit to the carpark. I went there to get a temporary license last night.

You need to have your current drivers license (plus copies of the front and back), your eye test, 1 photo (I was told 2, but they only asked for 1), your passport (plus copies of the picture page and your entry stamp), and 110 Dirhams.

I found the whole process pretty (unexpectedly) easy and it was all done within 10 minutes.
snoopy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 31, 2008
I was out in Dubai over the Xmas/New Year time and had to get a temporary license and what a farce!

Went in at 1pm into the Bur Dubai Traffic Police station off Umm Suqeim Street (?) where the Licensing Authority is based and they don't tell you that when the machine that gives you a number is out of tickets that they stop serving for the day.

Went back at 9am the next morning and computers were down, so went back at 11am and I needed my counterpart (I have a UK license), which was in Scotland. So I had to wait until 12 noon to call the DVLA in UK (they opened at 8am), got them to fax a copy to my Dad's office, got that emailed to the house and printed off then went back to the police station and got served but was then sent outside to a cabin to get my application form filled out in Arabic. FINALLY got my license all processed and it only took 2 days.

I admit that I forgot my counterpart and that was my fault but geez oh!

Total cost was:
Application Form into Arabic - 40AED
License and Processing - 110AED
Faxing my counterpart from UK to UAE - approx. 40AED

Does anyone know if I have to do it all again to renew my temporary license in June 2008? Or can I just have them renew it on the spot?
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Recent Info on this subject Feb 12, 2008
Hi all, new to this forum. I actually accomplished this task just under 2 weeks ago.

How to get a temporary license IF your license is 'transferrable' (Which you might only find out on the day you go to get your temp).

1. Start by photocopying your passport and your current driver's license each x 2.
2. Get an eye exam
- Go to an eye glasses shop, ask for an eye exam. (I went to the Magrabi shop in City Centre across from Hatam resturant - cost was AED 25 and I got a 'stamped' certificate).
3. Go to the RTA office near Terminal 2. This is the 'head quarters' and so, while very busy, much easier than the smaller offices which don't necessairly know all the ropes (I know this from experience of several hours of waiting for the head office to response to a small office inquiry on whether my license was transferrable or not).
4. At the RTA office you will get a number, and then it's just a waiting game until your number is called. Of course you will have to pay (I think it was AED 160 - but these things change so take extra cash!) Once you get to the counter the rest is smooth and easy... in 10 minutes I walked out with a shiny new temp license valid for 6 months!

Good Luck!
eeek!
Dubai Forum Guest

Opps! Feb 12, 2008
Oh yes, I forgot you will need a couple of passport sized photos as well!
eeek!
Dubai Forum Guest

international driving license Feb 12, 2008
I wanted to get my temporary driving license but I was told on here and noticed on the website that since I have an Abu Dhabi visit visa, I will be unable to get the temporary driver license in Dubai. I read on the police website, that you are allowed to drive a privately owned vehicle with an international driver's license and your tranferable driver license. Can anyone confirm this? I realize I can't own my personal vehicle as I need my residence visa for that anyway. But can I drive my husband's car?
canadiangal75
Dubai Forum User

Re: international driving license Feb 12, 2008
canadiangal75 wrote:I read on the police website, that you are allowed to drive a privately owned vehicle with an international driver's license and your tranferable driver license.

Well, if the police say you can ... but it's different from what I understood. And what my insurance company told me a few months ago - they said police are likely to impound private car if they catch a non-resident without UAE temporary licence driving it.

Things change often enough here. Try searching the gulfnews.com or khaleejtimes.com for recent news, also dubai.ae or rta.ae.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 12, 2008
Holders of International driving licenses
It is authorized to the holders of International driving licenses to drive vehicles not owned by them or drive a rented car provided, the international driving license is valid.

from the dubai police website...
canadiangal75
Dubai Forum User

Feb 12, 2008
canadiangal75 wrote:to drive vehicles not owned by them or drive a rented car provided

It's probably translated from the Arabic regulation, and may not be accurate. It could mean only rental cars.
bonk

Feb 12, 2008
thanks.. I'm gonna try getting the temporary license.. but I have a feeling it won't work because of the stupid Abu Dhabi entry visa...
canadiangal75
Dubai Forum User

Feb 13, 2008
so they won't give me a temporary driver's license because of my Abu Dhabi visa. So if I go to Hatta/Oman border, that new visit visa will work? Anyone try this?
canadiangal75
Dubai Forum User

Feb 14, 2008
canadiangal75 wrote:so they won't give me a temporary driver's license because of my Abu Dhabi visa. So if I go to Hatta/Oman border, that new visit visa will work? Anyone try this?

Ok, I know I'm being lazy by not re-reading the whole thread but that sounds like something that could work. It's the sort of logic that makes sense in the UAE.

1. You have a visit visa from Abu Dhabi?
2. Visa change is easy if you're one of the nationalities that can get one on arrival. Takes 3-4 hours total depending on queues - See Dubai Hatta visa change.
3. Mornings during the week is less busy.
bonk

Feb 14, 2008
yes my visit visa is from Abu Dhabi
I am Canadian so part of the countries allowed to go to Oman and allowed to transfer driver's license.. I may try it next week.. I'll let you know.
canadiangal75
Dubai Forum User

Feb 14, 2008
bonk wrote:Takes 3-4 hours total depending on queues

Sorry, that may not be very clear. I meant 3-4 hours round trip from Dubai, actual visa changing process is about 1 hour with all the stops.

Good luck :).
bonk

RTA office hours? Mar 07, 2008
is RTA open on fridays or saturdays? what about evenings?

thanks in advance!
pierredxb
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Mar 07, 2008
Yes be very careful with the International Drivers licence, you cannot drive the car owned by a resident, it only entitles you to drive rental cars. A friend of mine got dragged to court recently for this as he only had the IDL and was driving a friends company car, which he thought was ok, now both of them are in the poop.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 24, 2009
hello everyone
i want to ask about eye test. what kind of test is that? and does it have colorblindness test. thanks
dodoo
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Permanent Driving License May 05, 2009
Hi, I'm moving to Dubai in late August. I want to buy (and drive) a car, and have been told I need to go through a 2 stage porcess to do this - getting a temp license for 6 months, then getting a permanent one when the 6 months is up.
I was told that I can only buy a car once I have the permanent one.
Is there any way around this as I'd really like to buy a car a little quicker?
thorpdar
Dubai Forum Guest

May 05, 2009
Thorpdar,
The information you have been given is a bit skewed.
It is largely dependant on where you're driving license is issued from. You can attain an international driving license here, but I advise you to do that in your home country (it is usually valid for 1 year).

Assuming you already have an international driving license, you can only drive RENTAL cars in the UAE for the duration of your Visit Visa.
As soon as your status is changed and your passport is stamped to ‘residency’, your IDL is Void.
You must then apply for a UAE driving license, which will enable you to drive (and own) personal vehicles (or that of a friends/company’s) as well as rental cars.

When applying for a UAE license, your home country is a heavy factor. If you are from the America’s or Europe, you can simply exchange your license for a UAE one. However, if you are from a variety of other countries (India, Pakistan, Philippines, etc.), you will have to complete the necessary driving classes and examination in order to get a UAE driving license.

Going back to your original post. If you are coming here in August, get an international license (all you have to do is apply for it from your home country) – no big deal. You will be restricted to driving a rental car until you have your residency visa.

Good Luck.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Re: Permanent Driving License May 05, 2009
thorpdar wrote:Hi, I'm moving to Dubai in late August. I want to buy (and drive) a car, and have been told I need to go through a 2 stage porcess to do this - getting a temp license for 6 months, then getting a permanent one when the 6 months is up.
I was told that I can only buy a car once I have the permanent one.
Is there any way around this as I'd really like to buy a car a little quicker?

I haven't heard of such a process. Who told you?

Normal procedure is you exchange overseas for UAE licence after getting residence visa, if you can. Or you do driving lessons and test if you can't.

You can get a temporary licence to drive private cars but I don't think it helps with getting a full UAE licence.
bonk

May 06, 2009
Dear Dresden, Bonk,

Thank you both for your replies. This is my first post on this forum and it's so nice to get such helpful replies.

Dresden in particular - youe advice was so clear and detailed - thank you!

I'm actually from the UK and have a UK drivers license, I'll talk to the UK DVLA about getting an international license.

Thank you again,

thorpdar
thorpdar
Dubai Forum Guest

May 06, 2009
NP, glad to help.
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 10, 2009
thorpdar wrote:I'm actually from the UK and have a UK drivers license, I'll talk to the UK DVLA about getting an international license.

Then you can do a simple license exchange once you get residence visa. Before that just drive a rental car with your IDP.
bonk

Jun 12, 2009
good luck
matrixsun
Dubai Forum User

Re: temporary drivers license Aug 25, 2011
Dubai police has stopped issuing temporary driving license. They told me I can drive on Canadian license even if I am on Tourist visa, this is the latest rule, so dont bother making all those documents and spend money, I did all that only to find the good news, after I was minus 300 Dirhams.
facman
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum