Need A Favour!!!!!plz

Topic locked
Need a favour!!!!!plz Nov 23, 2005
Im a english steel/erector/safetynet/rigger i am planning a visit to dubai after christmas to look for work, what i would like information on is.......

what is the safetynet situation in dubai are there many safety net company's?ive trolled the internet and cant find 1.

Are the many highrise buildings i can see being built in dubai made from concrete or steel? are the floors being safety netted?.

And to finish a bit of a daft question.....how many cranes (roughly) can be seen on the dubai skyline, so i have a rough idea on the amount of construction at the moment......

cant wait to get out there........

great site guys loads of intresting topics

regards
Alex :D :D :D

T0M0
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 24, 2005
I suppose i might have had a better response if id have chosen a better title

i was hoping someone could have looked up when there passing these buildings, an noticed if nets are being used

when looking for work in dubai do you have to go through an agency
or arrange interviews, or is it possible to turn up at a site and ask for work

in the uk its quite easy to turn up on site an say(giz a job) lol

and if the site manager/foreman likes ya ya can get a start
most of the time
can it work this way in dubai?

any help is much appreciated
T0M0
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 25, 2005
Construction is booming here but that said you've obviously not looked into this very much at all. Honestly, in your line of work you're better off staying in the UK. You're not going to get paid much, as most are recruited from west asian countries. So unless you're willing to work for around 300 pounds/month I wouldn't waste my time.

With regards to just walking on to a site and getting a job, you 'might' be able to get the job but you'll need to go through the visa/residency stamp process before you can start work.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 25, 2005
Thx for the reply xrw much appreciated

I came to dubai for a couple of weeks in 98 and loved it
ive been in the steel game for 17 years, i can earn a decent wage at home
but im looking for something a bit different.
its not about the money, having said that 300 a month is bad though
ive been a foreman for about 9 years and when saw how things went on over there i was quite shocked,it seems rather than using experienced
hands they just swamp it with labour
i have looked into this quite a lot but its not easy so far away.

thats why im asking some questions on here
im going to come out on the 15/1/06 for a week and see what the situation is with safety nets and see what prevails.
even if it go's belly up ive had a go :lol:
T0M0
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 25, 2005
Not a prob mate.

I haven't been here since 98 but from what I can piece together what the place looks like today is far from what it was even 3-5 years ago. However, even with all that change the mentality still remains. You're quite right in that the construction industry here tends to do a mass recuitment from west asia and experience tends to get thrown out the window.

Agree with you totally on the last point, nothing you can do but to give it a go - goodluck!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 25, 2005
Seeing as I am in the Construction Industry I can perhaps tell you that there must be in excess of 300-400 canes on Dubai's skyline! There was 50 on our project alone.

Seriously, from what I know, scaffolders are only east asain, very poorly trained and managed. You may look at approaching construction companies to work as a scaffold supervisor/manager, but you might find it very hard, you have a lot of competition from East Asains who, I have to correct XRW here, are on US$300 per month, not £300.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 26, 2005
now that is a lot of cranes :shock:

thanks for the feedback, although im not a scaffolder mate im a foreman/steel erector/rigger no probs called different things in different places i suppose. seeing as your in the game do ya see many safety nets on sites, cos in the uk they are manditory anywhere theres a fall hazard. everywhere has to be netted, floors, roofs, staircores, etc.

many thx for the replies
T0M0
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 26, 2005
yorky500 wrote:Seriously, from what I know, scaffolders are only east asain, very poorly trained and managed. You may look at approaching construction companies to work as a scaffold supervisor/manager, but you might find it very hard, you have a lot of competition from East Asains who, I have to correct XRW here, are on US$300 per month, not £300.

So scaffolders are only Chinese? - wow...

Apologies for the mis-information regarding salary levels - I was informed AED1500-2000/month (allowances included). $300/month is beyond words.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 26, 2005
So scaffolders are only Chinese? - wow...

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO
T0M0
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat