Driving License/leasing Question-- Am I Getting Bad Advice?

Topic locked
driving license/leasing question-- am i getting bad advice? Aug 21, 2007
(if this is in wrong area, my bad)

situation: living/working in dubai 6 mos.; got Dubai driving license 4 mos ago; have a valid/current US driving license (am 42-- have had a license since i was 16!) & US passport holder

finally getting around to leasing a car-- advised that i can't by the company PRO because i haven't had my Dubai license a full year and the leasing company says i wouldn't be covered by insurance?

just when i begin it is getting easier...

anybody clue me in on above: true/false? if true, what do people do for a year-- cab/bus/walk it? seems crazy-- but this is duba! ; )

Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2007
This is strange. As an aussie licence holder I was able to rent a car even when I was on my visit visa (international licence). When I got my residence visa, and dubai licence, none of these rules were pointed out to me. I dont know if the same would apply for a US passport holder, but it really shouldnt be a problem. Why not just call the car rental place yourself and ask them?
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2007
i've only been here for 3 months and already bought a car as well. i'm a US citizen and swapped out my license for a dubai license.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 22, 2007
you can rent cars on visit visa as long as you got intl driving permit.
as for renting cars after getting a UAE license, some rental companies require you to have the uae license for 1 year!!!. yes its stupid i know :D
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 22, 2007
just give them your US license. that's what i did and they were fine with it.

when i returned from my business trip, after i got my dubai license, they asked for the US one as well and made copies of both and rented me a car.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 22, 2007
Actually I had a similar issue, when i rented a car for a weekend no problems at all with my Canadian License but when i wanted to rent a car for a longer period, monthly for min 6 months. they said I need a UAE license. Easy enough to get.

When I bought my first car, UAE license for less than a year the insurance company took copies of both my UAE and Canadian License and that was it. I think there is issues with insuring if you've been driving for less than a year but if you can prove you've been driving for a while should be good. Insurance companies all differ though.

My problem was the car was older, 1988 and finding someone to insure an older car was more of a pain, which still makes no sense to me.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 02, 2007
:D
muneerkm
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Which is more easier? Driving License from AbuDhabi or Dubai Sep 02, 2007
Dear Friends,

I'm working as an Electrical Engineer, in Abu Dhabi.
I may get transfer to Dubai after 1 year.
The company is going to apply for my Employment Visa. Since they are having branches in Dubai & Abu Dhabi , they can get either Visa from both of these emirates. Also I can tell them, which visa to take.

I have heard that , Taking Driving License in Abu Dhabi is tougher compared to that of Dubai...Is it true ?

Which is more easier to take ? Driving License from Abu Dhabi or from Dubai ?

How many tests will be there in Abu Dhabi ? How long will it take to get a call to go for driving lessons , after opening the file ?

Please share your opinions with me..
muneerkm
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 03, 2007
I'd go for a Dubai visa. One reason would be more cars for sale in Dubai, if you have an Abu Dhabi visa you are likely to have to register car in Abu Dhabi which means buying one there, or going through export process with a car bought in Dubai.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum