Driving Licence Question

Topic locked
driving licence question Mar 08, 2007
hello wise people of dubai :wink:

some friends are visiting from the UK. If my mate has his normal UK licence plus an international driving licence, will he be legally able to drive my car here in Dubai and be properly legal and insured?

cheers, RK

red ketchup
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 08, 2007
As far as I know and the way my insurance works in the UAE is - the car is insured not the driver, so anyone can drive the car as long as they have a valid UAE driving license.

So in your case I would say no - he will not be insured to drive your car.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 08, 2007
If that's the case and the car is insured, then the visitor should be able to drive it, with the owners permission.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 08, 2007
No - because the insurance will only cover valid UAE driving license holders. As his friend does not hold this - then he is not covered.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 08, 2007
when he comes, tell him to take his card and paper counterpart license, with a passport copy and passport, 100 dhs, two passport photographs and about 200 dhs and head on down to the Dubai Police Traffic dept. just off Interchange 4 SZR. He will have a temporary (6 months) UAE license. He can then drive any car. 8)
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 08, 2007
V-Man wrote:when he comes, tell him to take his card and paper counterpart license, with a passport copy and passport, 100 dhs, two passport photographs and about 200 dhs and head on down to the Dubai Police Traffic dept. just off Interchange 4 SZR. He will have a temporary (6 months) UAE license. He can then drive any car. 8)

Correct
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 08, 2007
As for last year (I remember looking into that when I arrived in Dubai) with an UK licence (or any of the nationalities allowed to exchange licences with the UAE) you can drive here, but only RENTAL cars.

If you want to drive a private car, you have to have a UAE licence. As mentioned before, you only have to get a provisional licence (it lasts 6 months), which won't be a problem with a UK licence.
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 09, 2007
Julieta wrote:As for last year (I remember looking into that when I arrived in Dubai) with an UK licence (or any of the nationalities allowed to exchange licences with the UAE) you can drive here, but only RENTAL cars.

If you want to drive a private car, you have to have a UAE licence. As mentioned before, you only have to get a provisional licence (it lasts 6 months), which won't be a problem with a UK licence.

This has very recently been changed, you need a permit to drive any vehicle if you do not have an International Permit when on visit visa, according to our HR Dept.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 09, 2007
V-Man wrote:when he comes, tell him to take his card and paper counterpart license, with a passport copy and passport, 100 dhs, two passport photographs and about 200 dhs and head on down to the Dubai Police Traffic dept. just off Interchange 4 SZR. He will have a temporary (6 months) UAE license. He can then drive any car. 8)

Yeah, just queue for 4 hours of your holiday and you're fine!

International license needed for rental cars, probably your best bet.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 09, 2007
Thanks for the update Sage, no idea of this recent change. As I said, the information I had was a year old. But things here change quite quickly!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 09, 2007
what paperwork do you need if you have a residence visa?
Tups
Dubai Forum User

Mar 11, 2007
it took me about an hour in total. Dont go on a sunday...

Best time is about 9am on Monday or Tuesday...
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum