Confused...

Topic locked
Confused... Jul 26, 2007
Why have the Islam-in-Focus podcast links been removed from this forum - I don't understand - can someone please explain?

podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007
Because all you ever post is pages and pages of copied text. Maybe you ought to try posting something of your own to provoke discussion.

And if you want use to read it, all you have to do is post the link.

Mod
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Islam in Focus Aug 05, 2007
I only post links on this forum to a podcast called 'Islam in Focus' as new shows are published (weekly).

The hosts of the show 'Uthman Barry and Arshad Khan' are devout Muslims and regularly appear on both radio and television in that capacity because people feel they both really do have something of value to say on the subject of Islam which, with respect, I think is 'On Topic'!

I only include the description of the particular show in question (usually one sentence!) so everyone can make up their own minds to listen to the respective show or not - what's wrong with that?

I think it's really sad that you feel there isn't a place for this kind of content in the Politics, Philosophy and Religion Forums...

This isn't moderation it's silly.
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Islam in Focus Aug 05, 2007
podme wrote:I only include the description of the particular show in question (usually one sentence!) so everyone can make up their own minds to listen to the respective show or not - what's wrong with that?

I think it's really sad that you feel there isn't a place for this kind of content in the Politics, Philosophy and Religion Forums...

This isn't moderation it's silly.

I agree with you. Althouth I never open any of the links I see nothing wrong with it.

Arniegang leave them - no harm no foul...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 05, 2007
I agree as well - there have only been links and a one line description from what I have seen.

You may have got mixed up with some others who do post a load of copy and paste jobs in this section.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 06, 2007
incorrect, he was posting pages and pages of copy and paste text, no one ever responded

If people want to view the podcast then all he has to do is supply the link and let people read for themselves.
arniegang

Aug 06, 2007
No YOU'RE incorrect arniegang...

I have NEVER posted pages and pages of text on the Politics, Philosophy and Religion Forums!

Call yourself a Moderator - WTF!

After 5800 posts, I think that maybe it's time for a break - Ever thought about getting a life?

Here are some examples of the posts I've put on the Politics, Philosophy and Religion Forums before YOU decided to DELETE them...

Why don't we let people decide for themselves Mr 5800!

The Post Started Here/-

Islam in Focus #6 - What's the harm in Interest?

http://podme.podme.org/mp3/Islam-in-Focus-0006.mp3

This week sees the return of our 3 Irish Muslims to discuss the concept of interest in business and beyond...

-/The Post Ended Here!

Here's another one...

The Post Started Here/-

Islam in Focus #7 - A Perception of Violence

http://podme.podme.org/mp3/Islam-in-Focus-0007.mp3

Why does Islam have the perception of being a violent religion...

-/The Post Ended Here

And one more...

The Post Started Here/-

Islam in Focus #8 - Atheism and Agnostics

http://podme.podme.org/mp3/Islam-in-Focus-0008.mp3

Uthman Barry discusses Atheism and Agnostics from an Islamic/Muslim perspective.

-/The Post Ended Here

So come on Mr Moderator - we're all waiting with baited breath - what's the problem...

Sort yourself out!

beyond all that...

I really appreciate the posts from Concord and jabbajabba - thank you!

I absolutely believe the posts I have made on this forum have been on topic and relevant - it really is a shame when a forum designed to build communities and exchange ideas ends up in the hands of people who seem to have forgotten why they got involved in the first place!

Salam...
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 06, 2007
Maybe 'the Lord of the Posts' is getting this post confused with the interminanble lists of cheap telephones and audio equipment which keep popping up on the Dubai Auto Forum.

I would have thought that a proper response, with an apology, was now required, especially since there are community members who agree with the description of the posts in question.

Big numbers, 'Lord of the Posts' - but are you big enough to admit when you are wrong?
autodrone
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 06, 2007
Amen to that!
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

We're Waiting... Aug 07, 2007
You've posted 4 times since my initial response - so what's the problem arniegang?

This isn't Moderating - This is a joke!

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21075

Tick tock, tick tock...
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Why Can't we get along Aug 07, 2007
I guess AG should read this again.

"Why Can't we all just get along?"

And reflect.
akhann
Dubai Forum Guest

Respect Aug 07, 2007
Treat people the way you would like to be treated yourself...
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Top Man... Aug 07, 2007
AKhann is one of the hosts of Islam in Focus - he's here - on your forums!

This is a man I know, respect and admire - he really does have valuable lessons for us all - not just about religion BUT about life - sadly his podcasts have been systematically deleted by arniearsehole (thats my new name for him). Really not sure why...
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
I'm sorry to see this happen. I believe AG is doing an ok job as a mod, he made a mistake but when you pointed out the mistake he should have retracted and apologized instead of trying to thump you.

I'll highlight this to Admin,

As a mod myself, although not on politics, we're human and make mistakes. It takes a big person to admit they've wronged and apologize.

On behalf of DF I'd like to say sorry.

It'd be nice if you reposted these threads.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Thanks Fayz. Aug 07, 2007
Hey you sound human, and not like an automatically generated reply :lol: .

We need more clones of you. :D

Thanks for a sensible reply. We want to see the threads again, Podme has been really working hard for it, and they deserve it more than me and Uthman do.

We CAN get along!
akhann
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 07, 2007
Pod i wou;ld suggest one thing, rtaher than posting seperate threads for each post, make a single thread and keep on adding the links with their brief description, so it all stays under one thread and is easier to locate.

Welcome to the forums akhann. we are all human here no bots:). and like fayz said, AG is a good mod and one of the seniormost members, mistakes do happen at time. like its said " To err is Human".

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Thank you Aug 07, 2007
Thank you fayz and Jeevan - I appreciate your comments but I really think this 'mistake' deserves a public apology from arniegang - senior member or not!
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
Jeevan wrote:Pod i wou;ld suggest one thing, rtaher than posting seperate threads for each post, make a single thread and keep on adding the links with their brief description, so it all stays under one thread and is easier to locate.

Welcome to the forums akhann. we are all human here no bots:). and like fayz said, AG is a good mod and one of the seniormost members, mistakes do happen at time. like its said " To err is Human".

cheers,

J

This is the best idea. Podme, what you were doing was getting repetitive and filling up space, so you could keep all your links in one post. You don't see me posting a new topic every time I update my website. I can see why arniegang thought it's spam.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

apology Aug 07, 2007
gtmash

Thanks for the post.

I have no problem going the 'jeevan' route and I agree it makes sense BUT I'm not going to go to the trouble of reposting anything until I know it's not just going to be deleted by some mindless Moderator.

I really think an acknowledgement of error and an apology is in order...
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
Pod

Between 21-23rd June you made a lot of posts around the forums making numerous posts over a wide range of forums posting links to Podcast.

Some were posted in forums totally unrelated to the subject.

I therefore identified you as a spammer, and as such your posts in forum under my control were monitored. At the time (june and most of july)i gave you the benefit of the doubt and left them in open forum.

In my reply earlier in this thread i mistook your postings with the other "spiritual" poster who does indeed post reams of copied text. for this error i apologise in confusing you with another poster.

However, the concept of a forum is hopefully to envoke discussion. Your posts did and do nothing to envoke any type of discussion. In moderating PPR removing items that have been posted upto 6 weeks prior with just a link and no replies serves no purpose, and does nothing to make new and existing posters want to "join in".

Interestingly, Shaf was someone who all here had the highest regard and respect for, especially with his vast knowledge and interest in Religion coinsidentally posted in April, something which profoundly had an effect and made me think. He wrote:

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:41 am Post subject: Goodbye for now..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've enjoyed many discussions on this forum - however of late I've found myself posting less and less, and finding less being posted that holds my attention.
I shall still look into the forum on the odd occasion - but for now I will become a more infrequent visitor.

Take care and God Bless.

Wasalaam,
Shafique

I stand by my decisions to trash posts that are merely just cut and paste posts and posts containing nothing other than "links", after leaving them in open forum for a month or so. It is't personal.

With PPR we have a sticky that allows all posts designed as merely "reading material" to be placed.

I now propose to put another sticky up allowing users to post "related links" with a short description as you, Pod have done previously. If discussion arises as a result of any of these posting then i will be happy to transfer that topic into "open forum".
arniegang

Aug 07, 2007
edited by Mod contained foul and abusive language
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
Edited - same reason as previous post

I am going to print this out, frame it, and look at it every day.

:D
^ian^

Aug 07, 2007
Pod

Its not worth it, lets move ahead, like suggested start with your postings in a single thread, let it rest here. this will lead to another ego trip and get ur user banned , You know you are doing nothing wrong and thats all that matters. This is an open forum, if certain people dont understand the concept its not your fault.

lets move ahead.

Ian :lol: :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2007
edited by Mod contained abusive language

you are a disgrace to moderators everywhere...
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
Jeevan wrote:Pod

Its not worth it, lets move ahead, like suggested start with your postings in a single thread, let it rest here. this will lead to another ego trip and get ur user banned , You know you are doing nothing wrong and thats all that matters. This is an open forum, if certain people dont understand the concept its not your fault.

lets move ahead.

Ian :lol: :lol:

Well the point is members should NOT refrain from posting simply due to fear of being banned at the drop of a hat. Members should always feel free to express their opinions subject to "reasonable" moderating. Since there are 11850 registered users there will be differences of opition and true moderation should take place.

Since the "moderators" post was locked :roll: I had to use my magic powers to reproduced it below:

concord wrote:Back to the same old freaking thing. Moderating should not be used to advance personal likes or dislikes (of a topic, person, religion, place, etc.), massage egos, or imposing one's morality (drinking, pre-marital love, smoking, partying, etc).

Moderating should be done to:

1. Remove spam
2. Move real "fights" (after thinking hard about it) to Fight Club
3. Deleting "illegal" posts (p<3n, etc.)
4. Editing personal information that may inadvertently be posted by some (such as phone numbers, addresses, or names)

Beyond that, we are all adults here (in age anyways) and even if not then it its their parents (or guardians) responsibility.

Podme, I also saw your grievance in other forum and thought you had a point, etc.

In any one group they'll be your "odd ball"...

You sound like a rational person so have fun - its easy (I'm glad I paid attention in school!).

It still holds true.

BTW,
Definitions of moderation on the Web:

quality of being moderate and avoiding extremes
easing: a change for the better
temperance: the trait of avoiding excesses
the action of lessening in severity or intensity; "the object being control or moderation of economic depressions"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Moderation is the process of eliminating or lessening extremes. It is used to ensure normality throughout that on which it is being conducted. Common uses of moderation include:*Ensuring consistency and accuracy in the marking of student assessments.*A moderator may remove unsuitable contributions from the website, forum or IRC channel they represent in accordance with their moderation system.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moderation

In assessment, the process of establishing comparability of standards of student performance across different courses, institutions or organisations, in order to ensure that assessment is valid, reliable and fair.
www.yeronga.tafe.qld.gov.au/tools/gloss ... ry_m.shtml

means the process used for assuring the consistency of assessment with the required standard across a number of assessors or assessing organisations.
www.nzqa.govt.nz/ncea/acrp/secondary/definitions.html

is the process of ensuring that assessment of individuals is consistent, objective and fair. Also applied to accreditation of programmes.
www.ee.wits.ac.za/~ecsa/gen/g-04.htm

The process by which equal standards of assessment are maintained both between different classes within School and between different schools which are following the same Syllabus. This is normally undertaken by a visiting Moderator appointed by the GCSE Examining Board.
www.kings-winchester.hants.sch.uk/folde ... page_1.htm
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2007
Another one of my posts "worth" repeating. Then I'll shut up (don't you all clap at one).

Concord wrote:Hell, I actually had work to do and missed the live action.

Anyway, Arniegang I think you were(are) a good moderator and that's the way moderating should be done. The prime example is the Politics forum were lots of bad/insulting stuff is said and rarely is anything moved. You got carried away a couple of times (but we all have bad days).

I think what you said about "bantering" is at the crux of things here. So I quote what you wrote:

arniegang wrote: A forums relies on posters and their participation. This is the current problem with DF. There is currently a lack of banter that did exist and i believe that is what a lot of you miss. It may return, it may not, who knows.

The problem is that "bantering" is not allowed to go on because one particular moderator will move a thread in a nano second because of what he thinks is morally correct or what he likes or dislikes, or what will “protect” the young or female (whether the posters are in reality young or female). He is only one forum member.

If more "banter" is allowed then often interesting topics and discussions are generated. Otherwise as soon as a post is deleted or moved (with commentary of course) then the entire thread turns into a defence of the morality or who is right or wrong or who moved it and why.

It is intersting that you mentioned Liban as he was a prolific poster (instigator, passionate, thought provoking, etc.) but if he were here today most of his posts would have been deleted, moved and perhaps he would have been banned.

Her are just his last 10 posts;

1. Its the rule of the forums to type in English you dumb Turk. Shouldn't you get gangbanged by some Greek???
2. Its horrible.... Death is a better option.
3. vegael2003, your last two posts make as much sense as planting palm trees in Antarctica
4. No. Such a salary is quite impossible unless you are the personal physician of the ruler of Dubai.
5. Not many people can understand your blabbering.

Perhapes an English course could fix things up for you.
6. everybody knows everything because he/she comes in earth from one way.

You like to cum in the Earth? Wouldn't your b/f anus be a better place?
7. So you like kissing young boys and girls... Hmmm....

FREAK!
8. Congratulations.

Do you want a bone?

9. except no one has good sour cream here

Many men have sour cream.

It depends on what they eat.

10. Also I was wondering the the original poster uses a falcon to hunt for jobs...

By the way none of those posts were moved to Fight Club or deleted. and guess what the forum lived!

None of those 10 posts would be allowed on this forum today!

Ian is right and I’ve said so before: those who generate revenue from the forum and rent the servers should be concerned about the state of the forum. Surely there are other forums for example: http://www.alloexpat.com/dubai_expat_forum/

Why ignore all the votes in this poll that say something should be done. And why is it that Sage took it so personally and retorted to personal attack on Ian and told him that “if he doesn’t like it he should move own”. Which you also said. Clearly anyone who has been here more than a half hour figured out that Ian knows he can do that. His point is to make things better.

End of...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Am I going to get banned! Aug 07, 2007
So if I get banned...

Should I care - does it really matter in a world of billions...
podme
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 07, 2007
if any more abuse occurs in this thread i will lock it.

Pod i have given you my explanation and an apology, without resorting to swearing and making personal insults.

Accept it and move on please.
arniegang

Aug 07, 2007
^^^ AG Apologized.... thats good for a start.. good on ya mate!
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 07, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:^^^ AG Apologized.... thats good for a start.. good on ya mate!

Yes indeed, a reasonable explanation was given along with an apology.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums