Package For Senior Finance In An Investment Bank

Topic locked
Package for Senior Finance in an Investment bank Oct 12, 2006
I may be offered US$150K per annum. Is this a good package? (Ignore bonus, which will be exactly that). I am from Canada with professional designation and over 15 years experience. I have two school going kids. My wife plans to be a stay at home mom.
I was budgeting as under:
Rent US$41k
School US$18k
Airfare US$6k
Other expenses US$50K

I would confirm that Medical/Dental is provided additionally. What is the usual vacation days? Would 25 weekdays (i.e. 35 days) be a reasonable one?

My other question relates to good schools. How is English College? What are the good schools (non-American)? I probably would go for British Curriculum.
Many thanks

mebound
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 12, 2006
I've just taken a job in management consultancy. Comparing your package to mine, I'd have expected to see a better basic going on normal differences between the industries but then again your bonus may make a big difference!

From my own searching, that sort of rent would probably get you a 3 bed villa in Springs or somewhere around there (west end of dubai), might be a bit tight if you have visitors. You can get more beds for your money in other areas, but might be worth putting another $5k-$10k in for a bigger place.

I'm sure I read on here that the stat hols is 30 days a year, though I only got offered (and took) 25 as it was still better than it was for me in the UK!

My wife has looked in to schools, think there's quite a good selection but she said the Wellington School teaches the English curriculum and is easy to get to.

Overall, you should have a pretty good life on that money, particularly if your partner is going to work too.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Package for Senior Finance in an Investment bank Oct 12, 2006
mebound wrote:I may be offered US$150K per annum. Is this a good package? (Ignore bonus, which will be exactly that). I am from Canada with professional designation and over 15 years experience. I have two school going kids. My wife plans to be a stay at home mom.
I was budgeting as under:
Rent US$41k
School US$18k
Airfare US$6k
Other expenses US$5
As long as your comfortable with this it looks ok.

I would confirm that Medical/Dental is provided additionally. What is the usual vacation days? Would 25 weekdays (i.e. 35 days) be a reasonable one?
Also OK

My other question relates to good schools. How is English College? What are the good schools (non-American)? I probably would go for British Curriculum.
Many thanks

English College OK, many other Schools available with British Curriculum
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 15, 2006
Thanks everyone...
mebound
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 15, 2006
They have now come back with US$125K as all-in salary. In addition, they will pay US$25K as signing bonus.
The bonus will be in addition (no g'tee). I am told that the market practice is 50% or more (could be upto 150%).
Wanted to check your reactions (especially from people who are in Dubai and understand the market).
I see that I will have some savings (while living comfortably) in my salary. The bonus would probably make up for most of my savings (if and when it materializes). Is the bonus range in line with what is in the marketplace?
Thanks
mebound
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 16, 2006
the information you have given has not been specific enough. I refer in particular to health insurance and car allowance as too whether this is included and whether or not your accomodation/school fees are also included in your salary.

Regards school fee's i would budget a bit higher, prob plus 30%.

Your estimation for a 3 bed villa is just about right at the bottom end but i would also increase your budget by 10-15%, you may decide you need an extra bedroom if you have a live in maid or as previously mentioned visitors etc, this would then take you into the 150-200k AED bracket.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 16, 2006
mebound wrote:They have now come back with US$125K as all-in salary. In addition, they will pay US$25K as signing bonus.
The bonus will be in addition (no g'tee). I am told that the market practice is 50% or more (could be upto 150%).
Wanted to check your reactions (especially from people who are in Dubai and understand the market).
I see that I will have some savings (while living comfortably) in my salary. The bonus would probably make up for most of my savings (if and when it materializes). Is the bonus range in line with what is in the marketplace?
Thanks

I presume this means a one off signing bonus not yearly??

I wish my Company complied with the so called "Market practice of 50-150% bonus, I never heard of such a thing and would advise you get this in writing. Considering that you have now been offered $25k less than as previously stated and you have also not mentioned Medical?? you should think carefully.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 16, 2006
mebound wrote:They have now come back with US$125K as all-in salary. In addition, they will pay US$25K as signing bonus.
Thanks

From my own recent experience, I think he means $125k includes housing/ car allowance. Signing bonus is pretty decent, though will largely get eaten up in air fares and moving possessions across the globe, maybe a specific line item for relocation on top of this would help (in my case they offered flights out here for my family - that's on top of 2 return flights for us all per annum - plus an amount towards shipping upon showing a receipt).

I have to admit I don't know any bankers in Dubai but would feel the bonus is in line with others I know in other markets. Though not guaranteed, banks are doing well at the moment and so it's unlikely you'd leave with nothing.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 07, 2006
Hi, from small town Ontario, 1 hour east of Torotno; will be starting in same industry in January; I gather you are cfp? I am with SunLife and needless to say you will need medical insurance and it can be expensive, likely around $500cdn+/mth, not including disability; there are a few companies specialzing in either for expats. Good luck and take care!

I Am! (MDRT)
I AM CANADIAN!
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 08, 2006
A lot of people will jump the gun and say its a good package but considering you have 15 years experience and professional designation I think you are selling yourself short.

I am in the same industry, albeit a commercial analyst, but I came with 1/3 of your experience and you are being offered roughly what I am on (minus schooling) - and I was single.

Having said that at the end of the day if the package provides you with the same quality of life, if not better, then you haven't much to lose.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum