Small Car Suggestions

Topic locked
Small Car Suggestions Sep 24, 2006
Guys, rather than piss about with a used car that may break down and cause me endless grief, Im looking for a small car till the time i buy meself a nice badass motorbike. :)

Im looking at the following cars (not the hatchbacks)

- Toyota Yaris
- Ford Focus
- Nissan Tida
- Renault Megan

Any suggestions on which is the best with regard to fuel economy, ease of maintenance, reliability, etc ??...is there any other model worth looking at besides these ?>

Grateful for any help because Im a bike person and not very car savvy

Thanks

KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 24, 2006
Tiida number one the Focus 2 would be my choices. For both though I'd prefer the hatchback version over sedan.

You may wish to add the 206 or the lancer to your list but I don't particularly like either.

Good luck in what ever you decide : :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 24, 2006
Forget the Focus.

What about the Toyota AX or whatever its called. Thats not a bad car to drive and is not bad looking (for a bread van! hahahahahahahhaa)

Yaris - ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Not a guys car, sorry.
TIIDa - not a bad car. A bit pricey i think.

What price range are you looking at, if I may be so bold to ask?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Small Car Suggestions Sep 25, 2006
KeithL wrote:Guys, rather than piss about with a used car that may break down and cause me endless grief, Im looking for a small car till the time i buy meself a nice badass motorbike. :)

Im looking at the following cars (not the hatchbacks)

- Toyota Yaris
- Ford Focus
- Nissan Tida
- Renault Megan

Thanks

Well keith, i'd say go for Tiida (hatch) Looks very cute! After that i would suggest if you could have a look at the car I have, yup its a hatch-back and a very beautiful looking Volkswagen Audi Group car, its a SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16v 101 bhp Volkswagen engine! Very reliable, very fuel-efficient, i am sure the last time i've got trip meter to 0 and filled out full tank, since Ibiza has the on-board trip computer so when the tank was almost empty it indicated me...so i check the mileage, it was exactly 598 kms! so its pretty good for a 1.4 eyh? or you could also go for Peujeot 206...that's also very strong and fuel friendly!
best of luck in selection mate, cheers :wink:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 25, 2006
hmm i know you mentioned no hachback but a honda civic 1.3lxi hachback 98 model is definitely economical just fills up with 40dhs and then have fun :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

oh yeah Sep 25, 2006
I almost forgot about honda! he's right Civic would be a good choice too....1998-2000 preferebly. Here's a help, go to Al Futaim Pre-owned showroom in Deira...next to Honda showroom...i'm sure you'll find one, and even check out Bin Dhaher showroom for SEAT Ibiza...they've got like 50 VGC pre-owned vehicles in side the showroom. You might wanna se, u never know you might like it!
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 25, 2006
Thanks for the awesome help guys

Fayz, would the 307 be a better buy over the 206 ?? Although i've heard that there is a special scheme for the 206 at the moment. How reliable are Peugeuts and are they cheap to maintain?

Yorky, my budget is around 45 to 55000... on finance of course :oops:

Salman, arent VW very expensive cars compared to the competition ? Also i was unaware that Seat sell cars in the UAE...i will def take a look

Rudeboy, thanks for that...I love the civic and honda's on the whole, but they are expensive to maintain arent they ?? besides I'm thinking against a 6 year old car. But will def take a look at the used car showroom
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 25, 2006
KeithL wrote:Thanks for the awesome help guys

Fayz, would the 307 be a better buy over the 206 ?? Although i've heard that there is a special scheme for the 206 at the moment. How reliable are Peugeuts and are they cheap to maintain?

Yorky, my budget is around 45 to 55000... on finance of course :oops:

Salman, arent VW very expensive cars compared to the competition ? Also i was unaware that Seat sell cars in the UAE...i will def take a look

Rudeboy, thanks for that...I love the civic and honda's on the whole, but they are expensive to maintain arent they ?? besides I'm thinking against a 6 year old car. But will def take a look at the used car showroom

KeithL,

No need to be embarrassed about getting a car "on tick". Most of us do.

SEAT are, I have found expensive and not a very well known brand here in the UAE. The leon Cupra R sells for Dhs140K, which i think is a lot of money. As such, you will probs lose a lot of money on re-sale.

A Pug 307, 2.0l XT will set you back Dhs62K, with the XSI is Dhs69K (only 2 models available).

A Civic, base model, starts at Dhs61K, but there is a very long waiting list.

IMHO, when I was doing my research for a 2nd car as a "daily beater", I would have opted for the Mazda 3. Think it runs for around Dhs50-55K (all my info is at home), which is a pretty good deal on the car. Also, i think it is far better looking than most of the other cars in the list you provided, however, Toyota XA gives it a run for its money (not sure of the price).

I would go with either the Toyota XA or mazda 3 i.e. stick with Jap cars.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Re: oh yeah Sep 25, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:I almost forgot about honda! he's right Civic would be a good choice too....1998-2000 preferebly. Here's a help, go to Al Futaim Pre-owned showroom in Deira...next to Honda showroom...i'm sure you'll find one, and even check out Bin Dhaher showroom for SEAT Ibiza...they've got like 50 VGC pre-owned vehicles in side the showroom. You might wanna se, u never know you might like it!

Good advice on the civic and with the year range will comfortably fit under Keith's budget. Now don't think I am bashing your post again here, but IMO SEAT is higher to maintain and as yorky pointed out, less known name here, so not that great a buy - especially for the prices they are asking.

Personally am not a fan of the tida, yaris, XA, lancer or the megan. yorky's additional nomination is a good one. The 3 is an all round decent and reliable car. They are running a special on the 206s now with regards to insurance and financing.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 25, 2006
KeithL wrote:Thanks for the awesome help guys

Well keith, as per my own experience, i am absolutely satisfied with SEAT, its as good as VW but quite cheaper! You'll get the same engine in the VW Polo, which is a sibling to Ibiza, but the price would be 15-20K higher flat! She gives me good mileage, A/Cs climatronic and cools very good in middays, maintenance is so low that its like you don't have a car :lol: Trust me, i'm using VAG cars for 4 years now, i had 2004 Ibiza used it for 2 years than just a month back i got trade-in with 2006 Ibiza with more options and power!, hardly spend 600 Dhs on services etc on my previous Ibiza. The oil change is after 15000kms ( in winter's till 30000kms!) and 1st year service is always free, and the good thing is that there is 6 months dealers warranty on any sort of defects that may occur on all pre-owned cars. There's even SEAT Leon 2003-2004 models there, its shares same platform with VW Golf. VW products are as good as any other rival brands comparatively to Peugeots, Renaults and Fords.....

In Peugeot however, 307 is more roomy from the inside, starts from 1.6litre engines to 2.0 tiptronics, but 206 comes in same rang of Ibiza, 1.4 litre tiptronic...so that's also good.
best of luck :wink:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: oh yeah Sep 25, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
Good advice on the civic and with the year range will comfortably fit under Keith's budget. Now don't think I am bashing your post again here, but IMO SEAT is higher to maintain and as yorky pointed out, less known name here, so not that great a buy - especially for the prices they are asking.

Personally am not a fan of the tida, yaris, XA, lancer or the megan. yorky's additional nomination is a good one. The 3 is an all round decent and reliable car. They are running a special on the 206s now with regards to insurance and financing.

Its okay XRW! I know SEAT is less known in this region, but the awareness is increasing everyday! SEAT has a very good reputation for performance and styling...have you seen the new Leon? its looks awsome, do you know who designed it? the Lamborghini designer! And I can asure you all from my own personal experience of using SEAT for 4 years now!, there's absolutely no maintenance on these cars...the only time you pay on these cars is when its been thru accident! (like anyother car) so it gives me a very very good mileage :wink: , good safety ( 4 airbags standard ), better handling on roads (TCS, ESP, ABS all standard!!) good performance, swift acceleration (Ibiza) what's more it look very cute! The ibiza is designed my Alfred D Walter somethin....the same guy who designed the Alfa Romeo Hatch cars, so it looks very similar, very beautiful! I suggest you too check SEAt showroom in soem free time, you'll know some good things about SEAT then :lol:

P.S. you drive a SEAT or VW, Skoda or Audi..you'll feel the same, coz they all have similar engines, chessis, engineering, technology.

And yes, yorky's right about the Mazda 3, specially the 2007 one, there's some minor changes in the looks, very nice, but i'm afraid its not a hatch! which keith wants :roll:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 25, 2006
with a 55000 budget ....
i would go for a subaru impreza ... those cars are built to last..
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Sep 27, 2006
Jamal wrote:with a 55000 budget ....
i would go for a subaru impreza ... those cars are built to last..

J, I owned and worked on scoobies for 6 years... they're not built to last.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: oh yeah Sep 27, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:I suggest you too check SEAt showroom in soem free time, you'll know some good things about SEAT then :lol:

Sal, I think you are (wrongly) presuming I have never been involved with SEATs? :wink:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 27, 2006
nahh i meant comparing them with other japanese cars in the same price range ...
cause them corrolas , sunny's and civics are some weak ass rides .. mazda use to be aight ..
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Yeah Sep 27, 2006
Well what can i say, lot's of mixed opinions here guys, and about SEAT, well Leon Cupra R is 114K not 140K, but VW Golf GTi (sibling car) with same engine is..think you said the opposite. Resale value is low, but as low as any other European Vehicle like Peujeots and Renaults or other European rivals, I bought my 2004 Ibiza in late 2003 for 47,000. After 2 years, just a month ago I sold it for 35,000 flat!!! And I think that its an ideal resale value for my car! couldn't be better. So i trade-in with the same but hight-specs Ibiza 2006. So the resale value somewhat depends on place where you wanna sell your car. Some place offer good value some very bad. And also on the condition of the car, I used it very carefully, it was like new. So the resale value also depends upon the condition of the car too! Its not particularly brand which is involved only.

Apart from that, Mazda 3 2007 is going great guns now, good price, good looks...so thats also a good option. Civic however is just too expensive for its class. After that the new Lancer 2007 is also good, new bumpers and lights, nice car and price is reasonable too. The bast way to find out is go out to showrooms and check for yourself :wink:
cheers.
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Yeah Oct 18, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:
Apart from that, Mazda 3 2007 is going great guns now, good price, good looks...so thats also a good option. Civic however is just too expensive for its class. After that the new Lancer 2007 is also good, new bumpers and lights, nice car and price is reasonable too. The bast way to find out is go out to showrooms and check for yourself :wink:
cheers.

I'm sold on the Mazda 3 too... it looks awesome in Black and very sporty. Anyone know where the Mazda showroom is ?? The dealer is Galadari Automobiles I think.

I've also narrowed down the Corolla and the Lancer as possible buys.
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Yeah Oct 18, 2006
KeithL wrote:
Salman_20VT wrote:
cheers.

I'm sold on the Mazda 3 too... it looks awesome in Black and very sporty. Anyone know where the Mazda showroom is ?? The dealer is Galadari Automobiles I think.

I've also narrowed down the Corolla and the Lancer as possible buys.

The Mazda 3 is molasses-slow in GCC trim. That's why it is cheap.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 18, 2006
Are you serious about the Mazda 3 being slow GT :(

Btw anyone know as to what the prices of the Mazda, the Lancer and the Corolla are ?? ... just so that i have an idea before i visit the showrooms this weekend
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 19, 2006
KeithL wrote:Are you serious about the Mazda 3 being slow GT :(

Btw anyone know as to what the prices of the Mazda, the Lancer and the Corolla are ?? ... just so that i have an idea before i visit the showrooms this weekend

Yeah, the 3 is only sold in 1.6-litre trim here.

And dude! Haven't you seen the website in my sig yet? It lists everything you need to know in the Buyer Guide section.

P.S. Most showrooms here are closed on Fridays.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2006
gtmash wrote:

And dude! Haven't you seen the website in my sig yet? It lists everything you need to know in the Buyer Guide section.

What do you expect, a sub-10 sec car for a small car with 1.6l engine? :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 20, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
gtmash wrote:

What do you expect, a sub-10 sec car for a small car with 1.6l engine? :lol:

Umm...yeah!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 24, 2006
gtmash wrote:Yeah, the 3 is only sold in 1.6-litre trim here.

I thought the 3 was also available in 2.0 ltr, 150BHP version as well. I guess i saw it on one of the UAE auto website, cant recall which one though. :oops:

Regards,
Hiren
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2006
hirenmistry wrote:
gtmash wrote:Yeah, the 3 is only sold in 1.6-litre trim here.

I thought the 3 was also available in 2.0 ltr, 150BHP version as well. I guess i saw it on one of the UAE auto website, cant recall which one though. :oops:

Regards,
Hiren

Hehe, as far as I know, I have only the 2nd English UAE auto website, and I know what goes on in the 1st one. You might have seen the specs for the 2.0 Mazda 6 on the Galadari website. Either that, or maybe you know something I don't, since the weird dealer is really secretive here. However, there are awesome 2.0, 2.3 and 2.3 turbo Mazda 3 models in America.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 27, 2006
gtmash wrote:
Hehe, as far as I know, I have only the 2nd English UAE auto website, and I know what goes on in the 1st one. You might have seen the specs for the 2.0 Mazda 6 on the Galadari website. Either that, or maybe you know something I don't, since the weird dealer is really secretive here. However, there are awesome 2.0, 2.3 and 2.3 turbo Mazda 3 models in America.

Strange ... I remember seeing it clearly and thats when i got hooked onto that car. If i am not mistaken it was listed on www.motoflare.com, this site has gone offline. :cry:
Agree about the US Mazda modelsm they're awesome. I'll try to dig some info regarding the 2.0L Mazda3.

Cheers,
Hiren
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2006
hirenmistry wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Strange ... I remember seeing it clearly and thats when i got hooked onto that car. If i am not mistaken it was listed on www.motoflare.com.
Agree about the US Mazda modelsm they're awesome. I'll try to dig some info regarding the 2.0L Mazda3.

Cheers,
Hiren

Hehe, that site seems dead now, and with good reason. All they were doing was copy-pasting American car reviews. There are only two true car review websites in this region, and I run the second one. :wink:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 27, 2006
gtmash wrote:Hehe, that site seems dead now, and with good reason. All they were doing was copy-pasting American car reviews. There are only two true car review websites in this region, and I run the second one. :wink:

Wow, that was quick. Good job on the site mate. Keep it up. :D

Cheers
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto