Do You Think People Look Down On Atheists?

Topic locked
Do you think people look down on Atheists? Jan 19, 2009
Do you think people look down on Atheists, more so than just people of a different religion?

There are lots of people promoting religious tolerance (which is great) but do you think that extends to the absence of religion? I'm not religious, never been to church besides weddings and funerals, my parents are not religious and, by definition as an Atheist, I think there is no God and all the world's religions are made up.

Do you think this is more offensive/confronting to people than say just saying you are a different religion? For example, I was talking with some Muslims and Christians the other night at dinner and the topic was the similarities between Islam and Christianity. Everyone was talking about what they believed in and I was hesitant to join in because my belief is that they have some nice fables but their God does not exist.

Edit: And I'm more talking about in the UAE than generally around the world.

Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
I have stumbled on to one too many talks about religions, dogmas, theodicy etc

In Dubai if you aren't a Muslim, the least you mention about your religious affiliations and religious beliefs or lack of it, the better I feel.

That's partly because dollars, dirhams and pound fcuk-ing sterling seem to be much more enticing. Who says materialism is not a common binding dogma.

Besides you have it easy anyways. I reckon any questions of religion will end with you saying something stereotypical as "born a Christian but not a practicing one" followed by a wry smile signaling the end of that discussion.

The copious stereotyping in Dubai would lead people to believe you consider ripcurl, billabong and coogi as haute couture and are a fosters and victoria bitter chugging bloke from down under! Surfs up mate :lol: 8)
godsent
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Do you think people look down on Atheists? Jan 19, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Do you think people look down on Atheists, more so than just people of a different religion?

Edit: And I'm more talking about in the UAE than generally around the world.

The first time I answered such kind of a question in application form was in Dubai. As far as I understand it could be rather suspecious if I had writen "Atheis" and "Single" in appropriate sections...

In my country nobody cares about your religion... It isn't an impolite question, rather nobody is interested in...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 19, 2009
Ijust don't write anything in the box, por Jedi, which is now accepted in quite a few places these days.

I was reading about a story in the UK, where a Christian bus driver, refused to work a shift, because the vehicle he was meant to drive had a big advert on the side stating that there was no God!

People who have religion are allowed to go on about what they believe and that's fine, so why can't I go on about my beliefs, or lack thereof.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Yeah, maybe part of this Atheist Bus campaign where they are raising money to advertise Atheism on buses in response to a bunch of Church ones that have apparently been running lately.

Interesting. Would that bloke refuse to drive a bus with a Muslim message on it, or a jewish one? Or is it specifically 'no god' that he objects to?
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
Bump to get this post above all that junk from dattaswami.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
Yes, people look down on atheists and would rather align themselves with others who at least believe in one powerful creator, because at least they have that in common with each other. Any people believing in multiple gods are lumped in with the atheists, even if they don't want to be. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 20, 2009
Well I'm happy believing what I do, or not as the case maybe.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Do you think people look down on Atheists? Jan 22, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Do you think people look down on Atheists, more so than just people of a different religion?

Only if they're standing upstairs ;).
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 24, 2009
I don't think people look down on atheists, from what I've seen around, I guess the ones who believe in something feel sorry for those who don't---after all where do people with no faith turn when the chips are down? Whether or not God exists, for people who believe, all's not lost---whatever happens.
wordyexpat
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 03, 2009
yeh terribley lol, also i think protestants too, specialy from catholics and the like, i dont think they feel sorry just more i dunno a hatred or something crazy or that they think your bad or something i dunno its weirdy
ashjgb
Dubai Forum User

Feb 04, 2009
Yes, I agree that people tend to frown upon atheists. I consider myself an agnostic though religion interests me. At least I have some leeway in that I can just say, "I don't know," whenever people ask me about the existence of a supreme being.

Atheists get the ass end of the horse when it comes to religious discussions because all the other faiths get to share one punching bag. Followers of the Abrahamic religions (Jews, Christians, Muslims) actually worship the same god yet they're constantly killing each other. I think the only reason we don't hear much about atheist persecution is because there aren't many who openly declare their unfaith.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 04, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:Atheists get the a#s end of the horse when it comes to religious discussions because all the other faiths get to share one punching bag.

boo hoo :roll:

That happens both directions :twisted:
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 04, 2009
Nucleus wrote:
gamercowboy wrote:Atheists get the a#s end of the horse when it comes to religious discussions because all the other faiths get to share one punching bag.

boo hoo :roll:

True, it's not a big deal for most atheists considering they would most likely prefer not having anything to do with religions at all.

Nucleus wrote:That happens both directions :twisted:

How so?
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 04, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:

How so?

Some atheist look down on theists, theists on atheists, agnostics on theist or atheists, etc... It just doesn't happen with beliefs about religion either.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 04, 2009
Nucleus wrote:
gamercowboy wrote:

How so?

Some atheist look down on theists, theists on atheists, agnostics on theist or atheists, etc... It just doesn't happen with beliefs about religion either.

Right, but my point was that atheists end up being the focal point *of the faithful in general* by virtue of their lack of belief in any deity whatsoever. Of course some atheists look down on theists. But who's there to back up an atheist in religious discussions? Other atheists and, sometimes, agnostics.

I guess my point is tangential to the original question. I wasn't making a point about who looks down on whom but rather who ends up with more general support in a religious debate.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums