Wife Beating In The Koran - Split From Politics Forum

Topic locked
Re: Wife beating in the Koran - split from Politics forum May 17, 2010
What did I tell you, little man, about posting for the sake of posting?

You're now going off on two separate arguments - claiming that Allah does not exist if a passage in the Koran is misogynist (that one confused me). Hey, why don't you do me the favor of explaining that to me.

And secondly, asking whether I"m hypocritical for condemning wife beating in the Koran because the Bible does not allow husbands to beat their wives.

I have to say, I'm a bit confused with regards to both arguments. I don't think I'm hypocritical for condemning the Koran because it advocates domestic abuse, which is what I have stated from the beginning of this thread (refer to thread title if you're still unsure of what I am condemning).

And, as already explained, I can't tell you whether or not allah really exists based on a passage that is misogynist because it allows husbands to beat their wives. That really isn't a hard explanation to grasp, but so far, you've failed miserably at it.

What I did say, is that the s.exist, homophobic, reactionary, militant and hateful passages in the Koran should be ignored. But please, explain to me how ignoring the backwards passages in the Koran is tantamount to proof that allah does not exist.

As I mentioned up above, such an argument seems kind of...dumb.

Hopefully someone more patient than I am can explain to you what you're not understanding because of basic reading comprehension problems.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Wife Beating In The Koran - Split From Politics Forum May 17, 2010
Sorry, did you answer my question in your post above?

shafique wrote:Back to name calling rather than addressing the points raised? Hmm.

Is there a flaw in my logic? You say God's words can contain homophobic and misogynistic writings - the Bible says women should be subservient - why would you NOT be hypocritical if you criticise the Quran for saying good women should be obedient?

I asked you to clarify whether YOU believed the presence of misogynistic verses meant that the Quran was not from God. You've clarified that this was NOT your argument.

Now we have established that the presence of misogynistic verses is not a criterion YOU would use to dismiss a book as being 'not from God', we are left with the question whether you are criticising the Quran for saying 'Good women are obedient' or not.

If you are, then why would this not be hypocritical, given that the Bible says the same thing?

(We've established that we have a fundamental disagreement over whether the Quran condones wife beating, this specific line of questioning is over your criticism of 4.34 saying women should obey men)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Wife beating in the Koran - split from Politics forum May 17, 2010
Please stop posting on my thread.

You're spamming it beyond belief.

Maybe berrin can show up or something. I've never encountered a bigger air-head than you.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Wife Beating In The Koran - Split From Politics Forum May 17, 2010
What's the matter eh - I thought you wanted to discuss your views?

Now you have clarified that we shouldn't reject the Bible for containing anti-gay and anti-women verses, I am asking you whether or not it would be hypocritical to criticise the Quran for saying 'good women are obedient'.

Perhaps you don't actually have an issue with the Quran saying 'Good women are obedient' - because it agrees with Ephesians? If so, then at least we can agree on this point.

Calling me names doesn't answer the question.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums