Why Islam Is The Religion Of Peace.

Topic locked
Why Islam is the religion of peace. Aug 01, 2005
How can Islam be called the religion of peace when it was spread by the sword?

It is a common complaint among some non-Muslims that Islam would not have millions of adherents all over the world, if it had not been spread by the use of force. The following points will make it clear, that far from being spread by the sword, it was the inherent force of truth, reason and logic that was responsible for the rapid spread of Islam.

1. Islam means peace. Islam comes from the root word 'salaam', which means peace. It also means submitting one's will to God/Allah (swt). Thus Islam is a religion of peace, which is acquired by submitting one's will to the will of the Supreme Creator, God/Allah (swt).

2. Sometimes force has to be used to maintain peace. Each and every human being in this world is not in favour of maintaining peace and harmony. There are many, who would disrupt it for their own vested interests. Sometimes force has to be used to maintain peace. It is precisely for this reason that we have the police who use force against criminals and anti-social elements to maintain peace in the country. Islam promotes peace. At the same time, Islam exhorts it followers to fight where there is oppression. The fight against oppression may, at times, require the use of force. In Islam force can only be used to promote peace and justice.

3. Opinion of historian De Lacy O'Leary. The best reply to the misconception that Islam was spread by the sword is given by the noted historian De Lacy O'Leary in the book "Islam at the cross road" (Page 8): "History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myth that historians have ever repeated."

4. Muslims ruled Spain for 800 years. Muslims ruled Spain for about 800 years. The Muslims in Spain never used the sword to force the people to convert. Later the Christian Crusaders came to Spain and wiped out the Muslims. There was not a single Muslim in Spain who could openly give the adhan, that is the call for prayers.

5. 14 million Arabs are Coptic Christians, 3 million are Catholic, 2 million are Orthodox, 1.7 million are Maronite Christian. Muslims were the lords of Arabia for 1400 years. For a few years the British ruled, and for a few years the French ruled. Overall, the Muslims ruled Arabia for 1400 years. Yet today, there are 14 million Arabs who are Coptic Christians i.e. Christians since generations. If the Muslims had used the sword there would not have been a single Arab who would have remained a Christian.

6. More than 80% non-Muslims in India. The Muslims ruled India for about a thousand years. If they wanted, they had the power of converting each and every non-Muslim of India to Islam. Today more than 80% of the population of India are non-Muslims. All these non-Muslim Indians are bearing witness today that Islam was not spread by the sword.

7. Indonesia and Malaysia. Indonesia is a country that has the maximum number of Muslims in the world. The majority of people in Malaysia are Muslims. May one ask, "Which Muslim army went to Indonesia and Malaysia?" The answer... NONE!

8. East and West Coast of sub-Saharan Africa. Similarly, Islam has spread rapidly on the those Coasts of Africa. One may again ask, if Islam was spread by the sword, "Which Muslim army went to the East or West Coast of sub-Saharan Africa?" NONE!

9. Thomas Carlyle. The famous historian, Thomas Carlyle, in his book "Heroes and Hero worship", refers to this misconception about the spread of Islam: "The sword indeed, but where will you get your sword? Every new opinion, at its starting is precisely in a minority of one. In one man's head alone. There it dwells as yet. One man alone of the whole world believes it, there is one man against all men. That he takes a sword and try to propagate with that, will do little for him. You must get your sword! On the whole, a thing will propagate itself as it can."

10. No compulsion in religion. With which sword was Islam spread? Even if Muslims had it they could not use it to spread Islam because the Qur'an says in the following verse: "Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from error" [Al-Qur'an2:256] 11. Sword of the Intellect. It is the sword of intellect. The sword that conquers the hearts and minds of people. The Qur'an says in Surah Nahl, chapter 16 verse 125: "Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious." [Al-Qur'an16:125]

12. Increase in the world religions from 1934 to 1984. An article in Reader's Digest 'Almanac', year book 1986, gave the statistics of the increase of percentage of the major religions of the world in half a century from 1934 to 1984. This article also appeared in 'The Plain Truth' magazine. At the top was Islam, which increased by 235%, and Christianity had increased only by 47%. May one ask, which war took place in this century which converted millions of people to Islam?

13. Islam is the fastest growing religion in America and Europe. Today the fastest growing religion in America is Islam. The fastest growing religion in Europe in Islam. Which sword is forcing people in the West to accept Islam in such large numbers?

14. Dr. Joseph Adam Pearson. Dr. Joseph Adam Pearson rightly says, "People who worry that nuclear weaponry will one day fall in the hands of the Arabs, fail to realize that the Islamic bomb has been dropped already, it fell the day MUHAMMED (pbuh) was born".

Just wanted to share this with you my friends.... Thankyou :)

Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 02, 2005
Kick ass, Liban. Thanks for putting a good spin on things. I know people are leary about Islam now-a-days, but that is because most people dont see the truth behind the stuff they show on TV.

Question though-Did Muslims have a hand in the Slave Trade at all? I am not attacking, just wondering.
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 02, 2005
hey liban ,, that was nice,, logic information ,, you should be like this all the time ,,, god bless you .
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 02, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Kick a#s, Liban. Thanks for putting a good spin on things. I know people are leary about Islam now-a-days, but that is because most people dont see the truth behind the stuff they show on TV.

Question though-Did Muslims have a hand in the Slave Trade at all? I am not attacking, just wondering.

hi pumpkin ,,, what the hell does this mean ? slave trade ??? my dear ,,, Quraan alsways used to urge ppl to release saleves ,,, and if he doesnt have a slave ,, Quraan urged him to pay for a master of a slave to release him .

omar Ebn Al Khattab ,, the second Calif ,,, he is an example of justice , he has a very famous saying : When did you make ppl your salves while they were born free . ?

Abu BAkr ,, the first Calif ,,, he is the first man in Islam after the prophet ,,, of course he is a normal guy ,, but ,, he was the closest frined to the prophet ,, Abu Bakr ,, spent his money on buying slaves from their masters and released them , this man was a trader at those times ,,,he spent a fortune on saleves to release them . not to mention his support to the prophet .

so ,, the answer is NO. islam has nthing to do with the salves trading . ma friend .
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 02, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Kick a#s, Liban. Thanks for putting a good spin on things. I know people are leary about Islam now-a-days, but that is because most people dont see the truth behind the stuff they show on TV.

This is a very good question Pumpkin. The answer is yes and no...

Lemmi explain. As I mentionned before, slavery is illegal in Islam. The Prophet banned it at God's behest towards the begining of Islam. The first black man freed in Islam who himself converted right away was the honored Bilal. Worthwhile to note that Billal was the first ever muezzin (the person that conducts the call to prayer that you hear 5 times a day in Muslim countries).

So in Islam it is illegal and was banned during the Caliphate, Ummayed, Ottoman and other Islamic periods when all Muslim people, Arabs, Persions, Indians, Central Caucases, Moores and others where united under the banner of Islam.

However, there are a$$holes and bad seeds in every culture and the Europeans and Americans used some Arabs as middle-men in the slave trade I am very sorry to say. To this day in Mauritania and the Soudan this practice does go on to a lesser degree and I scorn it with all my essence.

Slavery is anti-Islamic and anti-God... Honestly it is just anti-human and is a vile curse that should be eliminated all together.

One thing I love about the hajj (pilgrimage) is how you go and you see all people, black, white, asian, brown (arab or indian), blond, red head, brunette, and all kinds of racial mixes just hanging together in a common brotherly goal of group support and love for fellow man. We are all brothers in this world...

PS/NB - to my black brothers I tell them how Malcolm X saw this when he deviated from the perverse teachings of Elijah Mohammed's Nation of Islam to accept the real Islam in his heart. He even mentionned this in his diary.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 02, 2005
castellano wrote:hey liban ,, that was nice,, logic information ,, you should be like this all the time ,,, god bless you .

Thank you and may God Bless you also!! I have decided to change. Now that sniper420 is gone I will focus on bettering this list for my part and hopefully be more helpful to everyone out there my friend... :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 02, 2005
Liban wrote:
castellano wrote:hey liban ,, that was nice,, logic information ,, you should be like this all the time ,,, god bless you .

Thank you and may God Bless you also!! I have decided to change. Now that sniper420 is gone I will focus on bettering this list for my part and hopefully be more helpful to everyone out there my friend... :)

ha ha ha,, with sniper again ??? :lol: lak ya khayye 7el 3anno ba2a ,,, lak enta bet3a22id . c ya
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Why Islam is the religion of peace. Aug 02, 2005
Liban wrote:How can Islam be called the religion of peace when it was spread by the sword?

It is a common complaint among some non-Muslims that Islam would not have millions of adherents all over the world, if it had not been spread by the use of force. The following points will make it clear, that far from being spread by the sword, it was the inherent force of truth, reason and logic that was responsible for the rapid spread of Islam.

1. Islam means peace. Islam comes from the root word 'salaam', which means peace. It also means submitting one's will to God/Allah (swt). Thus Islam is a religion of peace, which is acquired by submitting one's will to the will of the Supreme Creator, God/Allah (swt).

2. Sometimes force has to be used to maintain peace. Each and every human being in this world is not in favour of maintaining peace and harmony. There are many, who would disrupt it for their own vested interests. Sometimes force has to be used to maintain peace. It is precisely for this reason that we have the police who use force against criminals and anti-social elements to maintain peace in the country. Islam promotes peace. At the same time, Islam exhorts it followers to fight where there is oppression. The fight against oppression may, at times, require the use of force. In Islam force can only be used to promote peace and justice.

3. Opinion of historian De Lacy O'Leary. The best reply to the misconception that Islam was spread by the sword is given by the noted historian De Lacy O'Leary in the book "Islam at the cross road" (Page 8): "History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myth that historians have ever repeated."

4. Muslims ruled Spain for 800 years. Muslims ruled Spain for about 800 years. The Muslims in Spain never used the sword to force the people to convert. Later the Christian Crusaders came to Spain and wiped out the Muslims. There was not a single Muslim in Spain who could openly give the adhan, that is the call for prayers.

5. 14 million Arabs are Coptic Christians, 3 million are Catholic, 2 million are Orthodox, 1.7 million are Maronite Christian. Muslims were the lords of Arabia for 1400 years. For a few years the British ruled, and for a few years the French ruled. Overall, the Muslims ruled Arabia for 1400 years. Yet today, there are 14 million Arabs who are Coptic Christians i.e. Christians since generations. If the Muslims had used the sword there would not have been a single Arab who would have remained a Christian.

6. More than 80% non-Muslims in India. The Muslims ruled India for about a thousand years. If they wanted, they had the power of converting each and every non-Muslim of India to Islam. Today more than 80% of the population of India are non-Muslims. All these non-Muslim Indians are bearing witness today that Islam was not spread by the sword.

7. Indonesia and Malaysia. Indonesia is a country that has the maximum number of Muslims in the world. The majority of people in Malaysia are Muslims. May one ask, "Which Muslim army went to Indonesia and Malaysia?" The answer... NONE!

8. East and West Coast of sub-Saharan Africa. Similarly, Islam has spread rapidly on the those Coasts of Africa. One may again ask, if Islam was spread by the sword, "Which Muslim army went to the East or West Coast of sub-Saharan Africa?" NONE!

9. Thomas Carlyle. The famous historian, Thomas Carlyle, in his book "Heroes and Hero worship", refers to this misconception about the spread of Islam: "The sword indeed, but where will you get your sword? Every new opinion, at its starting is precisely in a minority of one. In one man's head alone. There it dwells as yet. One man alone of the whole world believes it, there is one man against all men. That he takes a sword and try to propagate with that, will do little for him. You must get your sword! On the whole, a thing will propagate itself as it can."

10. No compulsion in religion. With which sword was Islam spread? Even if Muslims had it they could not use it to spread Islam because the Qur'an says in the following verse: "Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from error" [Al-Qur'an2:256] 11. Sword of the Intellect. It is the sword of intellect. The sword that conquers the hearts and minds of people. The Qur'an says in Surah Nahl, chapter 16 verse 125: "Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious." [Al-Qur'an16:125]

12. Increase in the world religions from 1934 to 1984. An article in Reader's Digest 'Almanac', year book 1986, gave the statistics of the increase of percentage of the major religions of the world in half a century from 1934 to 1984. This article also appeared in 'The Plain Truth' magazine. At the top was Islam, which increased by 235%, and Christianity had increased only by 47%. May one ask, which war took place in this century which converted millions of people to Islam?

13. Islam is the fastest growing religion in America and Europe. Today the fastest growing religion in America is Islam. The fastest growing religion in Europe in Islam. Which sword is forcing people in the West to accept Islam in such large numbers?

14. Dr. Joseph Adam Pearson. Dr. Joseph Adam Pearson rightly says, "People who worry that nuclear weaponry will one day fall in the hands of the Arabs, fail to realize that the Islamic bomb has been dropped already, it fell the day MUHAMMED (pbuh) was born".

Just wanted to share this with you my friends.... Thankyou :)

Nice...
:wav:
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Why Islam is the religion of peace. Aug 02, 2005
mAJOR pAIN wrote:

Nice...
:wav:[/quote]

hey major pain ,, are you changing from being a DJ to cheer girl ???? looooool joking man .
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 02, 2005
Liban wrote:

This is a very good question Pumpkin. The answer is yes and no...

Lemmi explain. As I mentionned before, slavery is illegal in Islam. The Prophet banned it at God's behest towards the begining of Islam. The first black man freed in Islam who himself converted right away was the honored Bilal. Worthwhile to note that Billal was the first ever muezzin (the person that conducts the call to prayer that you hear 5 times a day in Muslim countries).

So in Islam it is illegal and was banned during the Caliphate, Ummayed, Ottoman and other Islamic periods when all Muslim people, Arabs, Persions, Indians, Central Caucases, Moores and others where united under the banner of Islam.

However, there are a$$holes and bad seeds in every culture and the Europeans and Americans used some Arabs as middle-men in the slave trade I am very sorry to say. To this day in Mauritania and the Soudan this practice does go on to a lesser degree and I scorn it with all my essence.

Slavery is anti-Islamic and anti-God... Honestly it is just anti-human and is a vile curse that should be eliminated all together.

One thing I love about the hajj (pilgrimage) is how you go and you see all people, black, white, asian, brown (arab or indian), blond, red head, brunette, and all kinds of racial mixes just hanging together in a common brotherly goal of group support and love for fellow man. We are all brothers in this world...

PS/NB - to my black brothers I tell them how Malcolm X saw this when he deviated from the perverse teachings of Elijah Mohammed's Nation of Islam to accept the real Islam in his heart. He even mentionned this in his diary.

Thanks!

Hey Liban, have you ever heard of the Five Percenter Movement?
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 03, 2005
No dude, never heard of it... What is it?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2005
An off-shoot of the Black Muslim movement in the States.They have some pretty interesting ideas.
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 03, 2005
Liban wrote:
We are all brothers in this world...

and what about the 'sisters'? I can't stand raging feminists, but it has to be asked.
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Why Islam is the religion of peace. Aug 03, 2005
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:

Nice...

hey major pain ,, are you changing from being a DJ to cheer girl ???? looooool joking man .[/quote]

seeee now thats funny ... hey your sense of humour is improving !!!! keep it up man ....

but ur still a moron !!!!! ( now thats not a joke ) lol hahahahaha :lol:
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 03, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:An off-shoot of the Black Muslim movement in the States.They have some pretty interesting ideas.

Tell me about it...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2005
BobbieMasoner wrote:
Liban wrote:
We are all brothers in this world...

and what about the 'sisters'? I can't stand raging feminists, but it has to be asked.

When I say brothers, its more of a generic term. The masculine is always used for generic terms. Just part of the conventions that governs human linguistics I guess :?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 03, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:An off-shoot of the Black Muslim movement in the States.They have some pretty interesting ideas.

yes man tell us about it .
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Why Islam is the religion of peace. Aug 03, 2005
mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:

Nice...

hey major pain ,, are you changing from being a DJ to cheer girl ???? looooool joking man .

seeee now thats funny ... hey your sense of humour is improving !!!! keep it up man ....

but ur still a moron !!!!! ( now thats not a joke ) lol hahahahaha :lol:[/quote]

aha ? ok ,, good to know i am a moron ,, but,, let us see ,, a very high leveled DJ finds a moron's joke funny ,,, mmmmmmmmm,,, i have to think about it .......

well,,now am i ?? joking ? not joking ? joking ? not joking ? ......... damn its hard for a moron to decide about that . :wink:
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Why Islam is the religion of peace. Aug 04, 2005
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:

Nice...

aha ? ok ,, good to know i am a moron ,, but,, let us see ,, a very high leveled DJ finds a moron's joke funny ,,, mmmmmmmmm,,, i have to think about it .......

well,,now am i ?? joking ? not joking ? joking ? not joking ? ......... damn its hard for a moron to decide about that . :wink:[/quote]

you confuse me ... i take it back !!! your not a moron !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i was joking man about the moron stuff hahahaha !!!! hehehehe
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:

Nice...

well,,now am i ?? joking ? not joking ? joking ? not joking ? ......... damn its hard for a moron to decide about that . :wink:

you confuse me ... i take it back !!! your not a moron !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i was joking man about the moron stuff hahahaha !!!! hehehehe[/quote]

man ,, i began ,,, to change my mind about you ,, you are are a moron now ,,, looooool,, ha ha ha,,, i knew it was a joke ,,,,you morooooooooooon ,,, ha ha haha ha hah ah ah ,,,,
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:

Nice...

you confuse me ... i take it back !!! your not a moron !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i was joking man about the moron stuff hahahaha !!!! hehehehe

man ,, i began ,,, to change my mind about you ,, you are are a moron now ,,, looooool,, ha ha ha,,, i knew it was a joke ,,,,you morooooooooooon ,,, ha ha haha ha hah ah ah ,,,,[/quote]

ok we dont make sense ... now ... stop this now ... moron !!!! :mumum:
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:
castellano wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:

Nice...

man ,, i began ,,, to change my mind about you ,, you are are a moron now ,,, looooool,, ha ha ha,,, i knew it was a joke ,,,,you morooooooooooon ,,, ha ha haha ha hah ah ah ,,,,

ok we dont make sense ... now ... stop this now ... moron !!!! :mumum:[/quote]

The "quote boxes" were creating a nice pattern...I just have to do it too. HEHE.

Nice article on the "Sword".
I too thought that early Muslims spread their religion through force.
But there is history on fierce Muslim (Arabs) warriors sweeping through Mongolia in ancient time and destroying many Mongolian armies. The mongolians were the best horsemen (Mangudais-Horse archers) in that time. But they had light weight horses. So when the Arabs came with their big powerful"Arab Horses". They just fell back. I mean we all know big horses eats small horses for breakfast. Now that I recall, it did not mentioned anything about spreading religion. It was an invasion to take land.
I guess theres always black sheeps in every community.

Our Bible mentioned that we must use the "sword" when it comes to spreading the gospel. But the "sword" is not a physical sword but the Words of God. He calls it the "double edge sword".
Double edges as it can save lifes and destroy evil with the same words.

Peace and God Bless.

(I hope I wasn't rude.....*fingers crossed*) :lol:
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 06, 2005
[quote="Liban

Liban,

Some nice thoughts, good to have a sensible spin on things. Although with regard to the comments above, might pay you to look at the UAE, slave labour is alive and well here, with the Asians and Indians being the labour force and working in many cases in dreadful conditions for very little pay.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 06, 2005
It is a sad and unfortunate truth about the entire Gulf region... Hell its a sad fact anywhere in the arab world in addtion to the northern mediteranean basin (what is considered "enlightened Europe")....

But if we were to focus on the UAE as an Islamic nation and the working condition of some, I would say yes it sucks, but people are full of faults and we can only aspire to be men (and women) with the least amount of faults possible. It is anti-Islamic but many Muslims to not understand their own religion.

In the Blessed and Noble Quran there is a notion of "tabakat", loosly translated it would mean category of humans. People often mistake the word and put it into "class of people" and as such judge people on wealth, ethnicity, religion and creed which goes against the spirit of the word "tabakat". What God intended by that it to say that there are different categories of humans, those who do good and those who do evil.

Most human beings are stupid and love taking things out of context to serve their little purpose. Sad but true... :?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 06, 2005
Chocoholic wrote:[quote="Liban

Liban,

Some nice thoughts, good to have a sensible spin on things. Although with regard to the comments above, might pay you to look at the UAE, slave labour is alive and well here, with the Asians and Indians being the labour force and working in many cases in dreadful conditions for very little pay.

that is so .. true .... i used to be working in a family business based here in dubai .... where we started in recruitment ... but .. recently we attached a construction labour supply with it .... i just have to say no ... i quit.... shit ... i really feel sorry for those laborers ... and the sad part is ... in UAE ... if the contractors are experiencing some financial difficulties ... they tend to cut / delay or neglect ... the laborers pay ... i just couldnt stomach it .. and quit .... when these guys are fckuing sweating their arses out under 50 deegrees of sun ... its just not right ..
the law should have to revise their law on labourers ... i mean in other european countries ... and also in america labourers are well paid and .. the medical and educational perks are well taken cared of aswell .. i mean ... if dubai is really banking on joining WTO ... they should find a more respectable way of treating these labourers...
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 06, 2005
couldnt agree more !!!!!!!!
castellano
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 09, 2005
I want to say something smart, but my Alpha waves are few and far between today :?
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 09, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:I want to say something smart, but my Alpha waves are few and far between today :?

the trick is to nod your head slowly, close you eyes a wee bit (as to look thoughtful) and keep your mouth shut. works every time
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 09, 2005
You almost sounded like you have a job :D
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 11, 2005
BobbieMasoner wrote:
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:I want to say something smart, but my Alpha waves are few and far between today :?

the trick is to nod your head slowly, close you eyes a wee bit (as to look thoughtful) and keep your mouth shut. works every time

perfect that you have a future in sales or even politics ... hahahaha
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums