What Is The Purpose Of Fasting In Ramadan????

Topic locked
What is the Purpose of Fasting in Ramadan???? Aug 23, 2009
I know that Ramadan fasting is to supposed to make people feel the hunger (and suffering) of the poor by self deprivation, and not eating or drinking for the whole day!

But what I have noticed throughout my years in the Middle East is, in fact, the contrary!!!

Food consumption by Moslems actually goes way up in Ramadan, and I heard a lot of people consequently gain more weight in Ramadan.

All you have to do is observe the huge amount of food and sweets that are displayed at the supermarkets in Ramadan!

It appears to me that the purpose of fasting has sadly become nullified by the eating habits of Moslems in Ramadan!

True or not???

Would love to hear from our Moslem friends on this point!

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2009
Sadly, most of what you said is true. But let's not generalize.

Still fasting for over 12hrs does make you feel for the poor and the deprived.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 23, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:Sadly, most of what you said is true. But let's not generalize.

How? When you then go and gorg yourself like there's no tomorrow.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:Sadly, most of what you said is true. But let's not generalize.

try once :wink:
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 23, 2009
Fasting has lost its meaning long ago, it is bad for health, staying without water and food for too long.

of course religious people will try to convince you otherwise, they will say fasting is good and healthy, ( the same way they say evolution theory is wrong .. )
snake
Dubai Forum User

Aug 23, 2009
It's okay as long as people do it properly, not like here. It's really not that hard to go all day without taking in any sustenance. However, to then stuff yourself stupid is the harmful bit.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 23, 2009
Ramadan is Dubai is not really indicative of Ramadan for all muslims. I mean it's not like it's just Ramadan that involves "stuffing yourself" here. Isn't buying three bentleys "stuffing yourself"? Buying 4 apartments when you can hardly afford one. It's the all same thing, everything here is overdone so why shouldn't Iftar be overdone as well.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Re: What is the Purpose of Fasting in Ramadan???? Aug 23, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:I know that Ramadan fasting is to supposed to make people feel the hunger (and suffering) of the poor by self deprivation, and not eating or drinking for the whole day!

But what I have noticed throughout my years in the Middle East is, in fact, the contrary!!!

Food consumption by Moslems actually goes way up in Ramadan, and I heard a lot of people consequently gain more weight in Ramadan.

All you have to do is observe the huge amount of food and sweets that are displayed at the supermarkets in Ramadan!

It appears to me that the purpose of fasting has sadly become nullified by the eating habits of Moslems in Ramadan!

True or not???

8) 8)

Dear, You are taking about a kind of reward after Fasting.

yes - you are right the market are full. But in Ramadan, the basic purpose is to have fasting. It mean don't drink and eat for a specific period of time. And in this period you have to work as your normal routine and also worship to God. The basic purpose is to get realize that how much difficult to be with empty stomach. Some people who mostly remain with empty stomach.

Than when the time come for Iftari, So in Islam, you have to eat and drink normally - If some of people eating a lot. It depends on them. And Allah says in Quran that HE increase the RIZK (food/Diet) of people in Ramadan. And Alhamdulilla we see that the Muslim's RIZK increase in the holy month of Ramadan.
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 23, 2009
Unfortunetly you are right, people consume more food during Ramadan
we have to separte Muslims From Islam, because most muslims dont practice Islam as instructed by the holy book and the practice of the Prophet (PBUH), but still Ramadan about devoting your self to God, you should spend more time in worship, Give charity, help others etc, All year long we are busy with life eventhough we know we can go to the grave at any moment, It is only breathing IN/OUT, so you should spend more time with youself, review what you did so far, Ask yourself: Am I ready to leave this life at any moment. I should also Insist that Ramadan is not the time to sleep and stay up all night smoking shisah like what many people do, In the past muslims used to go to war during Ramadan
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:It's okay as long as people do it properly, not like here. It's really not that hard to go all day without taking in any sustenance. However, to then stuff yourself stupid is the harmful bit.

so . what are you trying to say ? , stop fasting because Ramdhan has lost its primary goal ..
No wonder , if you say tomorrow stop doing salat because many people has lost the essense of salat in stop practicing bad deads
No wonder , if you ask stop acting zakah because people has lost the value of giving money to poors and feel their needs
No wonder , if you ask tomorrow stop doing Haj because people didn't turn angles and stop doing evil things
No wonder , if you request stop practising Islam becuase your morals have not change to better
No wonder , afterall , you will say Islam is a theory not practice !!! :roll:

I think there is alot of points to consider here , just don't generalize :wink:
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 23, 2009
catalyst wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:It's okay as long as people do it properly, not like here. It's really not that hard to go all day without taking in any sustenance. However, to then stuff yourself stupid is the harmful bit.

so . what are you trying to say ? , stop fasting because Ramdhan has lost its primary goal ..
No wonder , if you say tomorrow stop doing salat because many people has lost the essense of salat in stop practicing bad deads
No wonder , if you ask stop acting zakah because people has lost the value of giving money to poors and feel their needs
No wonder , if you ask tomorrow stop doing Haj because people didn't turn angles and stop doing evil things
No wonder , if you request stop practising Islam becuase your morals have not change to better

No…!

I don’t think Chocs is asking you stop doing your fasting but to DO IT RIGHT!!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2009
snake wrote:Fasting has lost its meaning long ago, it is bad for health, staying without water and food for too long.

of course religious people will try to convince you otherwise, they will say fasting is good and healthy, ( the same way they say evolution theory is wrong .. )

I am confused!

You say fasting has lost its meaning….. then you say fasting is bad (for one’s health!)

Was fasting good before it lost its meaning????

Please explain!!!

:? :?
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:
catalyst wrote:

No…!

I don’t think Chocs is asking you stop doing your fasting but to DO IT RIGHT!!!!

8) 8)

Ok sir :wink:

Sorry Choc , misunderstanding :roll:
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 23, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:
snake wrote:Fasting has lost its meaning long ago, it is bad for health, staying without water and food for too long.

I am confused!

You say fasting has lost its meaning….. then you say fasting is bad (for one’s health!)

Was fasting good before it lost its meaning????

Please explain!!!

:? :?

People who have lost the meaning of fasting ... not fasting itself 8)
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Re: What is the Purpose of Fasting in Ramadan???? Aug 23, 2009
Anosh wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:I know that Ramadan fasting is to supposed to make people feel the hunger (and suffering) of the poor by self deprivation, and not eating or drinking for the whole day!

True or not???

8) 8)

yes - you are right the market are full. But in Ramadan, the basic purpose is to have fasting. It mean don't drink and eat for a specific period of time. And in this period you have to work as your normal routine and also worship to God. The basic purpose is to get realize that how much difficult to be with empty stomach. Some people who mostly remain with empty stomach.

Than when the time come for Iftari, So in Islam, you have to eat and drink normally - If some of people eating a lot. It depends on them. And Allah says in Quran that HE increase the RIZK (food/Diet) of people in Ramadan. And Alhamdulilla we see that the Muslim's RIZK increase in the holy month of Ramadan.

My comments:

1- You say some people eat a lot at night.

No… not some people, most people eat a lot at night. Just look at the statistics of food sales in Ramadan! Two years ago, I met a local food merchant who told me that his food sales in the month of Ramadan surpass his food sales in other months by 4-5 times!!!!

2- You said enjoying enormous amounts of food and drink at night is a reward for fasting!!!

That is bizarre!

What about the poor who also fast but can’t grog themselves at sunset like the rest? Why aren’t they also rewarded at sunset ???

If the food at night is a reward, then the poor obviously deserve to be rewarded with more fabulous food than the others because their fast is usually harder (they work mostly outdoors under the sun and some don’t have A/C!)

I heard of some people, esp. affluent non-working women, who sleep all day in Ramadan, and get up just before sunset to wolf down the huge variety of food placed in front of them by maids and cooks!!! Why are rewarded for their fasting (?) so well by God???

I think God is fairer than that!!! Don’t you think???

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 24, 2009
This topic seems to come up every year... quite understandably!

This is what I wrote 3 years ago in a similar thread [with some minor edits]:

I have decided to limit my postings here during Ramadan as part of the spirit of Ramadan of being more spiritual and less mundane. What one is enjoined in keeping away from though is arguments, silly talks etc. I do still look at the forums though – as Muslims are still required to go about their daily lives, working etc.
[Edit - I'm not as prolific these days, but still will try to eschew the mundane - SB]

As this is a thread about Ramadan, I thought I’d share my personal opinions.

Firstly, the initial post shows that for the people in question they know that their actions are un-Islamic and retain enough respect for the religion that they abstain from these sins (under Islam) during Ramadan. Ramadan is more than fasting – but everyone has their own capacities, weaknesses and levels of spirituality. Generally Muslims try to be more spiritual during the month – and in this spirit those that give up sins for the month are respecting this spirit. They have to reconcile the fact that they are following one clear commandment of God (fasting) and then reverting to not following other clear laws of God (not drinking, fornicating etc).

The act of fasting in Ramadan is highly symbolic – we voluntarily give up what is lawful, only to show our obedience and love for God. It goes without saying that we should also keep away (to a greater extent than before) anything that is ‘unlawful’.

Paying lip-service to religion is not un-expected for any religion that is 1500 years old. There comes a time when religion for people loses it’s spiritual aspect and becomes merely cultural. The majority of ‘Christians’ in the UK, for example, view Christmas and Easter as a secular holidays now. The period of Lent leading up to Easter was a time of fasting and now is only observed by a tiny majority of those who call themselves of Christian faith. There are still firm believers and followers of Christianity, but they are the exception rather than the rule in the UK.

[Edit - eg. if an observer were to look at what Sundays are for in the UK, one would not be forgiven for thinking the day is set aside for shopping and gardening, rather than being primarily for worship as was intended in the past - but the example of Lent is more relevant.. SB]

I see the current situation among Muslims, in regards to Ramadan, as the start of the process of secularization of the religion. The difference, in my opinion, is that most Muslims do view Islam as more spiritual than cultural at the moment – choosing to pray, abstain from alcohol and s.e.x outside marriage etc. There is a growing and visible minority that choose a hedonistic lifestyle and cultural Islamic practice – picking and choosing what laws to follow. The Islamic principles of charity, generosity, hospitality etc are still strong, even when the restraining laws concerning drinking and socializing with the opposite s.e.x. are abandoned.

In Ramadan acceptance of prayers is greater than at other times and Allah forgives our misdemeanours and oversights. Indeed, the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) said that during Ramadan the doors of Paradise are opened and the doors to Hell are shut and Satan is bound up in chains and that unfortunate is a Muslim who experiences Ramadan but does not have his/her sins pardoned.

In short, Islam teaches that only God judges the spiritual worth of a person – a sinner who turns to God in repentance, we are told, can be more beloved of God than a outwardly pious person.

May you get out of Ramadan what you desire.

Shafique

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=11563
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: What is the Purpose of Fasting in Ramadan???? Aug 25, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:
Anosh wrote:

True or not???

8) 8)

My comments:

1- You say some people eat a lot at night.

No… not some people, most people eat a lot at night. Just look at the statistics of food sales in Ramadan! Two years ago, I met a local food merchant who told me that his food sales in the month of Ramadan surpass his food sales in other months by 4-5 times!!!!

2- You said enjoying enormous amounts of food and drink at night is a reward for fasting!!!

That is bizarre!

What about the poor who also fast but can’t grog themselves at sunset like the rest? Why aren’t they also rewarded at sunset ???

If the food at night is a reward, then the poor obviously deserve to be rewarded with more fabulous food than the others because their fast is usually harder (they work mostly outdoors under the sun and some don’t have A/C!)

I heard of some people, esp. affluent non-working women, who sleep all day in Ramadan, and get up just before sunset to wolf down the huge variety of food placed in front of them by maids and cooks!!! Why are rewarded for their fasting (?) so well by God???

I think God is fairer than that!!! Don’t you think???

8) 8)

You make great points but I feel you are missing something. There is a huge difference between a bad practice and a bad practitioner. There are so many Hollywood stars that turn their "charity" into publicity campaigns. They make it so painfully obvious, it is absolutely disgusting. But I can't logically go around arguing against the purpose of charity. It makes no sense.

Ramadan has a good purpose but there are some or "many" who abuse it. That does not have any bearing on Ramadan itself, it has a bearing on the people whose behavior you are questioning. It is not a question of "what is the purpose of fasting in Ramadan?". The purpose of fasting is clear and well explained in all religions. Even atheists have hunger days in school to support poverty and raise charity and so on. The question would better be put as "Why do many people in Ramadan fast in such an innapropriate manner?" And think about it, what you are questioning is not only religion. It is in fact eating and spending habits. People who are greedy in Ramadan are probably greedy all year round. People who overstock on food in Ramadan, do it all all the time. You won't find someone who works out and watches his food all year round waiting for Ramadan especially to stuff himself and ruin a year's work. You won't find a person who is miserly all his life suddenly buy everything on the supermarket shelf the moment he begins to fast. It is about habits. Ramadan just brings out some people's bad habits because it is an opportunity to cater to greediness and exaggeration without being blamed or ridiculed.

So why are fat people fat? Why are greedy people greedy? Why are hypocrites hypocrites? Who knows? Nature vs nurture and all that jazz. At the end of the day, it's not about Ramadan. It's about the society you live in.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 25, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:

ha ha! good one ms chocolate.

btw, I have not eaten anythign for the last 5 hours and your name makes me hungry. pleaaaaase stay away ;-)
qdabdul
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2009
btw, can anyone answer one question:

what is purpose behind jailing people who eat during fasting hours? amongst all the funny things I have seen, this one takes the cake. real rewards arise from tempting yourself and fighting the temptation. otherwise whats the use if its all so easy? ...and commiting the additional sin of torturing people by jailign them???
qdabdul
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2009
This is actually a really good question and one that I thought of when I saw the comments from the police chief, in the papers about giving out fines and jail terms to people.

If there is no temptation, then where's the test of ones resiliance?

Certainly all the muslims in our office are happy for veryone else to carry on as usual and they say that it's good for them to have the temptation.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums