The Butterfly Effect

Topic locked
The butterfly effect May 14, 2011
Feeling philosophical today. Do you also feel that all major events in your life started with something very insignificantly small? That actually nothing was/is planned, but everything coincides with incoherent small events leading to unplanned bigger things? Is it predestination or coincidence?
Rationally I refuse to believe in predestination, but can not loose the feeling that some things were meant to be or meant to happen.

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: The Butterfly Effect Jun 05, 2011
I think it is coincidence mostly... but have you read anything about the law of attraction? Science isn't really behind that one, but there are times where it feels like things happen because of underlying thinking or dialogue with oneself. But if we believe in that, does it mean we believe that people who get cancer or some other disease somehow attracted it to themselves?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: The butterfly effect Jun 05, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:Feeling philosophical today. Do you also feel that all major events in your life started with something very insignificantly small? That actually nothing was/is planned, but everything coincides with incoherent small events leading to unplanned bigger things? Is it predestination or coincidence?
Rationally I refuse to believe in predestination, but can not loose the feeling that some things were meant to be or meant to happen.

I used to think like that, well it was the time I still believed in God! I used to think everything happens for a reason and I tried to link different incidents together. Still there are some timings which are some how weired and "seems" like they are planned, but overall my answer is big NO. I don't think there is anything meant to be or meant to happen.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Ah yes , Every one comes to a point in their life when they question the world around them, when one chooses the existing empirically derived sciences to understand a phenomenon , their is bound to discrepancies and holes in their explanation , reason being that according to the laws of earthly science , what cannot be measured does not exist ( im sure you will begin to see the problem).

Destiny , the point of contention of many a rationalists and freethinking nutcases in the world. However still when one looks into their life they can see how perfectly all events fall into place , and how significant was the sequence, if their was even a slight deviation from their original sequence, their would be chaos

From a purely scientific (boring) perspective , interconnectedness of everything cannot be denied , How one thing influences the other is a major focus of study in many disciplines, And when you look into their explanation ALAS ! they scream RANDOM , RANDOM , RANDOM ! , and my response to them is - "May you perish in your confusion"

On a personal level ,I equate the phenomenon of Déjà vu (that feeling you get when you feel that an event has already happened , or I have been here before) as the confirmatory indication of the existence of destiny.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Or a glitch in the matrix !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

zubber wrote:Ah yes , Every one comes to a point in their life when they question the world around them

|I really doubt this is the first time FD faced this question in his life!!!

zubber wrote:From a purely scientific (boring) perspective , interconnectedness of everything cannot be denied , How one thing influences the other is a major focus of study in many disciplines, And when you look into their explanation ALAS ! they scream RANDOM , RANDOM , RANDOM ! , and my response to them is - "May you perish in your confusion"

I don't see any scientific perspective in this paragragh.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

I'm a firm believer in the laws of attraction. Also think that some paths in life can be predicted, but only to the point where you might choose to go in another direction.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

melika969 wrote:|I really doubt this is the first time FD faced this question in his life!!!

The word everyone refers to more than one individual, Here is the definition of the word "everyone" -> http://goo.gl/Hkky

melika969 wrote:
zubber wrote:From a purely scientific (boring) perspective , interconnectedness of everything cannot be denied , How one thing influences the other is a major focus of study in many disciplines, And when you look into their explanation ALAS ! they scream RANDOM , RANDOM , RANDOM ! , and my response to them is - "May you perish in your confusion"

I don't see any scientific perspective in this paragragh.

Read it a few more times

-- Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:18 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:I'm a firm believer in the laws of attraction. Also think that some paths in life can be predicted, but only to the point where you might choose to go in another direction.

The laws of attraction are definitely an interesting philosophy no doubt, personally I am unable to grasp the idea since it seems to ethereal , and is more of a "feel good" ideology imho.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

It's actually pretty easy to explain. Everything in the world is made up of energy, so if you resonate good vibes and energy it only serves to attract like energies. Whereas if you put out negative thoughts, you're more likely to attract negative things to you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: The Butterfly Effect Jun 06, 2011
What about opposites attract ? Even in magnets.
desertdudeshj

YEs as DDJ has shrewdly pointed out, Energy attraction is via their complements , Perhaps the Law of attraction is defining another type of energy .. perhaps...
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: The butterfly effect Jun 06, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:It's actually pretty easy to explain. Everything in the world is made up of energy, so if you resonate good vibes and energy it only serves to attract like energies. Whereas if you put out negative thoughts, you're more likely to attract negative things to you.

But that is a mental concept - positive and negative - very subjective. Some things that are negative to some are positive to others. Science would have to prove that the energies are different and do attract each other. I'm more inclined to think that thinking in a positive or negative way influences the behaviour and choices that we make. So if we have some ideas, thoughts, goals in our subconscious and conscious mind we are more likely to choose things that set us on a path matching those thoughts or on a path to obtain the goals etc. Hopefully that makes sense.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Personally I just go and see my medium, she's awsome :D
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

And then you tell us we are the fools who believe in the magic man in sky ! :shock:
desertdudeshj

kanelli wrote:But that is a mental concept - positive and negative - very subjective. Some things that are negative to some are positive to others. Science would have to prove that the energies are different and do attract each other. I'm more inclined to think that thinking in a positive or negative way influences the behaviour and choices that we make. So if we have some ideas, thoughts, goals in our subconscious and conscious mind we are more likely to choose things that set us on a path matching those thoughts or on a path to obtain the goals etc. Hopefully that makes sense.

Kanelli you speak with much eloquence :mrgreen:
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

desertdudeshj wrote:And then you tell us we are the fools who believe in the magic man in sky ! :shock:

Well she hasn't been wrong so far!

I might not believe in god, but do I believe in the forces of nature, magix, the supernatural etc - absolutely.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Ah does anyone here believe in "Partition Magic ?"
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Chocoholic wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:And then you tell us we are the fools who believe in the magic man in sky ! :shock:

Well she hasn't been wrong so far!

I might not believe in god, but do I believe in the forces of nature, magix, the supernatural etc - absolutely.

Same same but different ! :D
desertdudeshj

LOL each to their own buddy :) I'm off to put a Hex on SD!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

And a foot up his arsefrom my side while your at it !
desertdudeshj

Re: The Butterfly Effect Jun 08, 2011
zubber wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I'm a firm believer in the laws of attraction. Also think that some paths in life can be predicted, but only to the point where you might choose to go in another direction.

The laws of attraction are definitely an interesting philosophy no doubt, personally I am unable to grasp the idea since it seems to ethereal , and is more of a "feel good" ideology imho.

Oh Zubber, you should easily grasp it. It's the opposite of the effect you have on women - repel. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: The butterfly effect Jun 09, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:LOL each to their own buddy :) I'm off to put a Hex on SD!

Too bad voodoo dolls don't really work! :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: The butterfly effect Jun 09, 2011
kanelli wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:LOL each to their own buddy :) I'm off to put a Hex on SD!

Too bad voodoo dolls don't really work! :lol:

Yes, you'd better thank your lucky stars by what I've been reading these past couple of days! Not exactly Mrs Popular are you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

Re: The Butterfly Effect Dec 05, 2011
zubber wrote:Ah does anyone here believe in "Partition Magic ?"

I used to believe in it :)

But nowadays I am more inclined to believe in "Gparted". :)
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums