Suicide Is Against Islam: Al-Azhar

Topic locked
Suicide is against Islam: Al-Azhar Jan 19, 2011
Now every practicing muslim knows this, Those who do engage in Kamikaze tactics overlook the fact that suicide is not permissible under any circumstance no matter how difficult the situation gets.

CAIRO (AFP) – Egypt's Al-Azhar, the most prestigious centre of religious learning in the Sunni Muslim world, said on Tuesday that Islam bans suicide for any reason.

"Sharia law states that Islam categorically forbids suicide for any reason and does not accept the separation of souls from bodies as an expression of stress, anger or protest," said Al-Azhar's spokesman Mohammed Rifa al-Tahtawi in a statement on state news agency MENA.

"Al-Azhar cannot comment on the cases of people who had burned themselves, as these may be suffering from a mental or psychological condition that forced them to do so," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110118/wl ... Vpc2FnYQ--

And if you are wondering, the suicider's recompense is the hellfire, without a trial in the divine court

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Suicide is against Islam: Al-Azhar Jan 19, 2011
The problem is, is that no one has a clear-cut definition of what suicide entails.

For some, Baruch Goldstein carried out a suicide attack even though he never killed himself.

Logically, then, if the above is true, that means there were early Muslims during prophet Muhammad's time who carried out acts of suicide - such as a Muslim soldier during the battle of Badr.

Historically, Islamic law has permitted attacks that some would deem 'suicidal' in warfare.

It also bears mentioning that there's a convenient loop-hole in the Koran that Muslims cite to justify suicide bombings - which says that believers who fight and die for Allah will be granted paradise - unconditionally.

Indeed, moderate Muslim scholar, Yusuf al-Qaradawi, has called for suicide bombings in Israel because he does not consider a bomber who kills for Allah as an act of suicide that the Koran condemns.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

why do you think a lawful war which is permited would be suicidal for the soldiers involved in it?
The quran is very clear about it!
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

event horizon wrote:The problem is, is that no one has a clear-cut definition of what suicide entails.

Here is a hadith reference concerning that -

Hadith - Bukhari 2:445, Narrated Thabit bin Ad-Dahhak

"A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him."

http://muttaqun.com/suicide.html

Yes I realize that this is not a proper reference, but this is a well known hadith.

I can only speculate and say that Suicide has been properly defined by the scholars of jurisprudence, But I am unable to supply an exact reference

It would be understood as a self inflicted act that causes the death of the person in a conscious state. If no t consciously then it would be considered an accident.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums