Smokers Everywhere

Topic locked
Apr 30, 2006
True! But Oud does not contribute to noxious gases such as Carbon Monoxide and toxins which are forced upon others who do not wish to breathe them in.

Tell you what, go buy a packed of Bio-Tips, little plastic filters that you inhale your cigarette through then look at the amount of tar oozing out the bottom of it when you've finished your precious fag - disgusting!

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 30, 2006
If we want to get technical, we could say that no one should wear perfume or scented products in public in case someone else is allergic. However, there are so few who are seriously allergic compared to the large number of people who are disgusted/allergic to cigarette smoke.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 30, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
So does Oud...but they haven't banned the use of that in enclosed spaces or elevators...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

You think Bakhour (Oud) smells???? You've got nasal problems my friend.... :P

Oud smells so guuuuuuuuuud... :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 30, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:True! But Oud does not contribute to noxious gases such as Carbon Monoxide and toxins which are forced upon others who do not wish to breathe them in.

Tell you what, go buy a packed of Bio-Tips, little plastic filters that you inhale your cigarette through then look at the amount of tar oozing out the bottom of it when you've finished your precious fag - disgusting!

Mmmmm! Yummy! Just like Marmite!

There are other toxins released into the atmosphere that have far more serious implications than cigarette smoke. Every time you fill your car with 'Green and good for the environment lead free petrol' the levels of toluene, an additive put into the octane reduced fuel to boost back the burn efficiency, kicked out into the atmosphere, are far worse than the output of 10,000 cigarettes. Carbon Monoxide in added multiples of millions in comparison and Carbon Dioxide...a gas that every tree hugger on the planet is blaming for global warming or the next ice age...or something, but just happens to be the one thing that every tree needs... more than a hugger!

I feel we smokers are contributing much to the carbon cycle and overall greenery of the planet.

Some of us can even contribute to the green unicycle of the planet...mind you I keep falling off and its getting quite painful!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 30, 2006
Fine DK, but do it out of the way of us non-smokers. Seriously cigarette smoke gives me terrible headaches, my lungs and throat go all scratchy, it's awful, it's really horrid to be around lots of smokers for me. As Kanelli says many people are allergic to cigarettes. And as I've always said people are free to smoke, but that freedom ends where it becomes a nuisance to someone else.

Liban, Oud is disgusting, it smells awful! I guess it's an aquired taste, like Sea Urchin!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 30, 2006
Liban wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
So does Oud...but they haven't banned the use of that in enclosed spaces or elevators...

Knight

I love oud and the perfumes/oils etc. Yeah, granted some are strong but I have a beautiful one that smells like vanilla-it smells yummy. The thingabout the oils is you don't wear much and you have to leave it for a while to truly appreciate the smell. Anyway-I love burning oud, incense and essential oils.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 30, 2006
Liban wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

I love oud and the perfumes/oils etc. Yeah, granted some are strong but I have a beautiful one that smells like vanilla-it smells yummy. The thingabout the oils is you don't wear much and you have to leave it for a while to truly appreciate the smell. Anyway-I love burning oud, incense and essential oils.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 30, 2006
GAB wrote:
Liban wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

Me too GABs.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 30, 2006
It is fantastic! Each oud shop is different and the bottles are incredible and the packaging/boxes are too. The one in Mercato upstairs has the most gorgeous little purse sized solid perfume holders-great gift for my mother-in-law and grandmother etc.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 30, 2006
It may be of interest for you Oud lovers to note that some of it is made from a certain tree which is one the verge of being wiped out. Think about that next time you light up a batch.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 30, 2006
What is best is that these perfumes are made from real essential oils - no petrochemical based scents and constituents. I know that some people would still be allergic to perfume, but the natural scents seem to irriate far fewer people than the fake chemical perfumes.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 30, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:It may be of interest for you Oud lovers to note that some of it is made from a certain tree which is one the verge of being wiped out. Think about that next time you light up a batch.

Show me the source of this information.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 30, 2006
My understanding is that it comes from many different types of tree and the little bark-like chips that you burn are caused by in some way producing an infection or irritant under the bark and then this sappy stuff is produced which looks like little bark chips. Anyway there may have been some information lost in my interpretation as my discussion was with someone for whom English was their second language and being ignorant I know no Arabic-sounded similar to a rubber plantation actually. I note that you said some and I have no doubt you are correct but perfumes I have contain magnolia (flower on a tree that is prolific and has many species) and even lavender ( also many types and grows like a frikkin weed and is a bush). I'd be more worried about furniture you buy here-a) they say it is kiln dried (guarantee if you stick on a dehumidifier or air con in your home you'll hear it crack and b) it is from plantation timber -both make me pmsl especially when they carry no such certification and knowing the countries of origin :roll: pleez!! pmsl.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 30, 2006
Liban, I said SOME not all. And from a very good friend of mind who does work with many different environmental agencies.

'Agarwood oil, also known as Oud, Aloeswood or Eagleswood, is an extremely rare and precious oil that originates in North Eastern India, Bhutan and parts of South East Asia, especially Vietnam and Cambodia. Agarwood has a very long history of use as a medicine, incense and as an aromatic oil. In the Bible it is known as aloes or aloeswood. There are several species of Agarwood, the most important species are: Aquilaria agollocha, A. malaccensis and A. crassna. Aquilaria malaccensis is endangered and protected worldwide under the CITES convention and A. crassna is listed as endangered by the Vietnamese government. '

From a website which actually sells these products!

You can also visit: http://forestpathology.coafes.umn.edu/agarwood.htm

Which is a website about using sustainable foresty resources instead of just hacking down trees around the world until there aren't any left.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 01, 2006
I guess the problem here is that in a country that is truly developing and its inhabitants are poverty striken that earning a living outweighs conservation. I know in VN deforestation occurs to make way for crops that produce coffee. Something to consider when drinking coffee I guess.
I didn't think the trees actually died in the process-I assumed they were more or less tapped for the resin/bark chip things produced.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums